Computer Power Failure Issue Please Help!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by El_Cartel519, Feb 20, 2009.

1. El_Cartel519

El_Cartel519 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 660/2100 /ATI X1900XTX
    Hey, ive had my computer for about a year now and the specs are pretty much the same C2D E6600 ATI 4870 4GB DDR2-800 EVGA 680i Mobo and an OCZ GameXstream 850w PSU. Now i jus recently started having ussues with it. At random times it will just shut off like someone pulled the power cable our of it. I used to be able to load up windows and now i get an error saying its corrupt and i need to reinstall. Prior to the windows error i took my pc apart cleaned it out completly and put it back togeather. It worked for a few days and then the issue returned. Now even when i try and install windows it will just shut down in the middle of the installation and i cant even make it to the reformat screen. I Cleared my bios so all my overclocking is back to default and the issue is still there. My motherboard is seated up about 1/2 an inch from the case floor due to the fact that the slots for the screws on the videocard would not line up initally. about 8 bolt secure it resting on about 5 washers below each bolt. Iam thinking its the power supply but i jus wanna know what u guys think before i go out and buy a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

2. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    If the shutdowns are completely random then the PSU would be the main culprit.

3. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    That OCZ should still be under warranty and you can RMA it, I'm pretty sure they have a 5 year warranty. But it sounds like the PSU is failing to me.

To test this, if you can pull another PSU from your friends computer or have an extra computer pull the PSU out and try it in yours, see what happens, thats really the only way you can test it for now.

4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Antec make a PSU tester which is fairly cheap. Problem is of course it maybe only failing under load.

5. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    My is seated up about 1/2 an inch from the case floor due to the fact that the slots for the screws on the videocard would not line up initally. about 8 bolt secure it resting on about 5 washers below each bolt. Iam thinking its the power supply but i jus wanna know what u guys think before i go out and buy a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Pull your MB out of the case set it on a box and install windows. I have a feeling your MB is shorting out in the case and the PS is shuting down to protect the system components. If all works out side the case...buy a case that is not crap!

6. El_Cartel519

El_Cartel519 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 660/2100 /ATI X1900XTX
    i have a feeling ur right about it shorting. My case is a lian li V-2000 so its not a cheap piece of crap thats the thing tho. i will try what u said but is there anything i can do to save my case???? my watercooling is setup in it and it has been modified to suit my setup the best so i would prefer not to switch cases.......hellllp lolz

7. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Okay lian li is not crap.:)
    I would still pull the MB and see if everything works ouside the case. You could try to adjust the frame/tray where the MB sits to get the MB/cards to seat properly. Some wood blocks, a rubber hammer and some firm but gentle taps may get everything lined up again.
    GL