Computer Freezing in Intensive games

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CosmicThing2, Aug 26, 2014.

1. CosmicThing2

CosmicThing2 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 3GB
    I purchased an MSI HD7950 9 months ago from Scan and was very pleased with the service, the card has worked fantastically up until these last couple of weeks. Recently however, whenever I start up a graphically intensive game such as Battlefield 4 or WatchDogs, my computer will eventually completely freeze (usually around 15-20 minutes in) resulting in me having to force shutdown the computer everytime.

I am a Computer Science student and built the system myself, it has worked fine for 2 years, I installed the card 9 months ago when I bought it and again, it worked fine until recently. I have run a number of tests on my other hardware to check that nothing else is causing the issue including memory and processor tests. I have also installed and reinstalled the latest AMD Drivers from the offical website but this made no difference.

My Hardware is as follows:

I5 3570k
    16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
    120GB Samsung SSD
    2 1TB HDD's (WD and Unknown)
    MSI HD7950 3GB GPU
    TX750 Corsair PSU
    Corsair Watercooling/Radiator

I'm 99% sure I haven't installed anything that would do this, I am running MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU as I'm fairly convinced that this is causing it.

Any solutions or ideas about how to fix it? I've only had it for 9 months so I could probably contact scan for a replacement if need be. Or does anyone know any test programs that could tell me?

All help is appreciated

Thanks

(One thing I didn't mention, it only does it on intensive games, I can run things like Hearthstone, Dota 2 and Minecraft all absolutely fine with no freezing)

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If you're using afterburner, what are your temps like when playing?

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    1.When you install new AMD drivers make sure you use DDU to uninstall left over registry entries. This can cause massive problems if you do not use it especially on AMD cards when reinstalling GPU drivers.

DDU.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505

2.Run sfc /scannow from the cmd to see if windows is corrupted.

3.Also turn down any overclocks that you have on the cpu and gpu and run everything at stock.

Try again and see what the results are.

If the problem persists uninstall afterburner and try again.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  4. CosmicThing2

CosmicThing2 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 3GB
    Thanks for replies

My GPU runs at different temperatures depending on the game, however it never/extremely rarely exceeds 85 degrees Celsius.

I am running and almost always run on stock speeds.

I used DDU and completely removed all drivers in safe mode. I then reinstalled the latest fresh ones again. I've tested around a little bit and haven't frozen (yet) but I'll need to test more tomorrow.

I'll try scannow if this doesn't work.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok let us know if it works ok.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Several possible culprits. Candidate numero uno is probably the power supply. Since it's only happening at high loads. As others suggested, try downclocking both the GPU and memory by a few notches and see if it clears up. If it doesn't, I would move to testing with a different power supply.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If there's no MCE then it's probably PSU or heat related as mentioned above.

8. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    cmos reset will fix it.
    jumper+ remove the battery
    every time you swap video cards it is better to make cmos reset.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Um, no it isn't....

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Why the hell would you do that...