Codemasters: Fuel

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Denial, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    This looks like it could be good fun :D

Kinda reminded me of Flatout2/Ultimate Carnage even though it's probably nothing like it.

Will keep an eye on this hopefully it won't be a letdown!

2. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    wow from the looks of that video graphics aint gonna be good at all hope the gameplay makes up for that.

3. 8800gts320mb

8800gts320mb Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gtx 760 2gig

not out yet

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=62797

Guiness world record for biggest gameworld, was quite impressed when the size was mentioned as I thought it was quite a bit smaller.
    (14400 km2, perhaps even bigger than Daggerfall?)

EDIT: Checked things a bit, Daggerfall while old has a larger area to explore albeit as it's randomly generated that doesn't really mean much.
    (Size wise TES2: Daggerfall is about one and a half times as big as the Great Britain isle from what I've read.)

(Just Cause is also rather big albeit somewhat repetitive in terrain with it's supposedly 1000 km2 of explorable world.)

Last edited: May 22, 2009

5. xcalibur+

xcalibur+ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4670 512 DDR3
    hell, i never know guiness was in the game! :nerd:
    14400 of square kilometers is HUGE.

6. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    All I want to know is when they are releasing their take on the F1 circus.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  8. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Banned

GPU:
    kk
  9. _NeO_

_NeO_ Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4070 x3 OC
    I don't know about you guys but it looks to me boring game. It is just BIG because of huge environment nothing more cars looks stupid and no damage makes it even worse :dead:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Ive been a fan of codemaster games since the 80's , at first i was doubting this game, but its starting to look better and better. cant wait for it now :)

11. vanityassassian

vanityassassian Member

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 280 oc
    Daum.. looks so disappointing :(

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    +1

so what if there is no real damage, there is already enough stuff going on around you :D

14. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    So these are the games that are worthy of playing on your over priced hardware, ffs this is a pile of MotorStorm and just like MotorStorm after you have played it for 10mins itll get boring, easy catch up, **** AI, they could of made this game a GREAT game but decided to half arse it as usual and rush it out.

There isnt a game out or coming out that is worthy of me upgrading my pc even Alan Wake looks w*nk now.

15. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Looks like a knock off of motorstorm a sort of downgrade in visuals

16. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    This game is just bad imo. I've played it on 360 and it have to be a completely different game if I would even consider getting it.

17. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i have to point this out the engine is getting OLD dirt, grid etc looked so washed out i had to turn hue down dramatically just to get the game looking reasonable, granted gameplay is great but graphics are not up to todays standards.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a different developer (Albeit under Codemasters) so it's not using that engine (Read in a preview somewhere, unsure what it's name was.), Dirt 2 looks pretty good though. (By Codemasters and uses their engine.)

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thats what I thought, FO Ultimate Carnage. Nothing new or original to get much excited here.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I finally got the PC version of FUEL this morning. It's Games for Windows LIVE so there's the same Achievements the Xbox 360 version has and it's relatively small at just 3.82 GB installed.

Not had very long on it, about 30 minutes or so before work, but it was long enough to try half a dozen races, a mix of Career and Challenge events, in four different vehicles. The vehicles were a dirt bike, buggy, quad bike and muscle car. Handling is OK off-road but on-road the cars feel a bit too slippery and it's easy to misjudge a sharp corner. I got used to it though. The sense of speed is a bit lacking though because even with the motion-blur the bike feels like it's going at half the speed it should be.

Unfortunately, this is another game where the A.I. seems to cheat by zooming ahead of you quickly at the start of the race so you're always playing catch up. They seem to have better acceleration than you initially even though they're driving the same vehicle. You start at the back every race but the A.I. seems to slow down during the race allowing you to overtake. I guess it keeps the races competitive if nothing else. You have to win the race by coming first, there is no reward at all, no points, nothing for coming second or lower. The events I played so far were a mix of checkpoint races with seven competitors, a time trial and a race against a helicopter. Oddly the helicopter kept ahead of me for two-thirds of the event then slowed down allowing me to speed past it to the finish. Felt a bit cheap to be honest.

Graphics are passable to borderline good. The options are configured from the launcher not in-game by the way and are fairly barebones offering only two detail settings, Low and High, and the usual resolution, AA and AF options. There are also four advanced options for tweaking the normal/bump mapping. There's no slider for the draw distance and no setting for the shadows so you'll see those, objects and grass popping into view alarmingly close. Despite setting the AA to 8X in the launcher, it doesn't appear to work in-game so everything looks rough and jaggy even at 1680x1050. I'm presuming this is a bug or do with the fact that the current v186.18 WHQL drivers I'm using don't yet contain a profile for FUEL. I'll create one with nHancer later and see if I can get it working that way. Oh and this is yet another game with no in-game V-Sync option so you'll have to force it through the graphics driver's control panel. When the game first started it showed a helicopter dropping my buggy off in a flyby and the framerate was 402 fps!!! Of course, it was tearing like hell until I forced V-Sync on but the actual in-game framerate before that was hovering around the 100 fps mark. Plenty of room for AA support and a longer draw distance here. Even with V-Sync on the game never dropped below 60 fps for me in the time I played it.

Sound is pretty awful by the way so don't expect much there. Engine noises are the same constant irritating drone for all vehicles and the music is completely forgettable.

The actual game, lack of speed aside, is reasonably fun to be honest but nothing exceptional. The open world structure which can be accessed by entering Freeride mode seems to be a missed opportunity as there's not that much to see and the distance between events means it's often easier to just use the menus. There are Vista points to find, which require long drives just to pick up some livery for your vehicles. Nice to have a large world to drive around but couldn't the developers have filled it with something interesting?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009