ClockTuner 2.0 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2021.

1. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    hey guys just wanted to update you on my usage of CTR 2.1 RC5
    amd 5950x
    asus x570 crosshair VIII dark hero
    corsair dominator ddr4-3600 18-19-19-39 CR1

BIOS uses DEFAULT settings except I activated the XMP memory thing (changing settings only made things worse for me)

my usual problems with CRT 2.1 RC5
    1) monitor/videocard loses video signal (rtx 3090)
    2) computer instantly reboots
    3) cinebench suddenly slows down and seems to go to a weird mono/multi core hybrid mode with 1.4V leading to very high temps

1) and 2) happened very often until I pushed cpu voltage up by an incredible.....25mV o_O
    stability or rebooting 10x per day is that sensible
    from my aida64 logging I see that the voltages I set up in CTR aren't really followed (probably because of my bios default settings but LLC only gave me reboots) so bumping them a notch seems to help not crashing
    3) might be related or not at all

here are my current GAMING settings, definitely not recommended for video encoding, rendering etc...(you want lower clocks and voltages for more stability and lower temps at high cpu usage)
    voltages and frequencies have been changed from whatever diagnostics or auto-calculate gave me to whatever looked more "logical" to me (going way up in some places)
    PX
    4975 4900 4825
    1400 1375 1350
    P2
    1325 25 (4->11 cores usage so most games will trigger this)
    P1
    1225 75 (12->16 cores rarely active outside of benchmarking/workloads)
    MIX

I just played too many hours of last epoch early access with these like 3-4hrs straight when before the 25mV bump, even with lower clocks and a wider delta between CCX I could not play 30min without the PC rebooting

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    HoWxCoRe and jura11 like this.
  2. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    if like me you never could run a complete "tuner" run without crashing you can do this
    1) quit all the un-necessary background apps you have running, open the windows, max cooling fans anything to have your computer run colder try a "diagnostics" if you can't even run that, your computer isn't stable in the 1st place probably because of bios and/or memory settings, forget running memoy at more than 3600/1800 at least at this stage and if you have any doubt let it run at stock bios 2133Mhz or whatever, memory is the no1 reason for instability on both Intel and AMD if you mess up cpu clocks or voltages it will seem to work for a while before crashing but if you're too confident with memory settings you will reboot non-stop or run into visual/program bugs (without memory control and correction there will be too many errors
    2) or if you cannot run diagnostics, but you should really be able to
    forget tuner and diagnostics and just go to the profiles pages and calculate them one by one, I don't think the order matters but I would do P1->P2->PX

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    HoWxCoRe likes this.
  3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    update after working for one day of benchmarking, the next morning one of my game started to crash (last epoch early access which is hardcore heavy on cpu and gpu for some reason)...and then windows...and then everything
    after trying different settings it comes down to the PX profile, disabling it made the crashes disappear, I reduced each PX frequency by 50Mhz we'll see

if you hoped for a plug and play 100% working gg easy app this ain't it..yet
    but it does what AMD should have done with ryzen master or PBO, so still great work for me :)
    and it fixes that damn idiotic 1.4v 5ghz idle that's problematic since at least 3000 series

4. xXZeroXx

xXZeroXx Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 56
    If I click "load" on the P2, it loads the P1 diagnose results in the P2 field, and also the PX values are empty, what should you insert?
    Also I can't find any word about what to insert in CX1 and CX2, there isn't any mention of differences in the diagnose...

5. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i mostly use my system for gaming, and these day i mostly play warzone, so far i have a p1 profile set at 1275 4750 for first ccx and 4600 for ccx2, p2 profile set 4825 at 1350 for ccx 1 and 4675 for ccx2. i never use the px profile, either p1 or p2 is stable i dont hit 60 degrees with p1 in warzone and about 65 for p2 in warzone, when i stop gaming i just use amd regular profile, im running a 5900x not a 5950x

6. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    ps you really need to work on those ram timings, ill get you better gaming performance for sure

7. Crazyslevin

Crazyslevin Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 Sup
    Good morning guys,
    I apologize in advance if my question is trivial, but I have a language problem and cannot translate well.
    I can't understand from the guide if having a Zen3 (5800X) with the CTR 2.1 R5 version, I just need to do diagnostics and apply the profiles or if I also have to do Tune for P1 and P2 as in the old version.
    Thank you

8. xXZeroXx

xXZeroXx Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 56
    Since some days ago, when windows updated itself, ryzen ctr is not workin anymore. It reverts to different values, and disables profile autoload and CTR hybrid OC. Then, at windows startup, it opens the reverted app, instead of applying the previously configured settings.

9. alexintheecho

alexintheecho Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Hi guys, a noob here

I've tried to use ClockTuner a few times, and eventhough I learned about what could go wrong, I'm still having reboots when I tune with ClockTuner to do Undervolt. The problem I think is that my motherboard is a b450 by gigabyte, and the thing is I don't have any LLC option (I searched and I found my motherboard it's limited and doesn't have it). Anyone can help me? Or at least, anyone with the same issue with b450? Thank you

10. JohnRo79

JohnRo79 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX560

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    sad news and might explain why some people can't use this tool
    it worked fine for me for gaming, lots of gaming a few months and like 900hrs of various games but since the last few weeks I started hard freezing, black screen with a quick visual glitch first
    I tried rolling back motherboard firmware and nvidia drivers to the 1st ones my graphic card and MB can actually take, older than CTR itself and it lessened but was still present
    must be something in windows or my cpu that degraded ? anyway can't use it anymore :(
    had 29k+ cinebench r23 1600+single core and game were silky smooth

nowadays gaming isn't my only hobby anymore so I'm not going to spent hours trying to make it work, switched to bios PBO+whatever my asus crosshair VIII dark hero got in it's latest 3801 bios
    seems to work and clearly they improved the idle in latest agesa or whatever as it's not at 90w at idle like it used to with old PBO but as I said several times games don't like the constant frequency changes and you sometimes get stuttering or frame drops when the cpu suddenly goes from 3600 to 5025
    my cinebench is down to 26-27 and I didn't bother benchmarking more it's clearly not as good in benchmarks but as long as I can play fine and video encoding isn't ruined it's okay

edit : problem fixed ! had nothing to do with ctr or my cpu
    advanced power settings -> pci express -> link state power management : moderate power settings
    I turned that off and poof no more crashes, power plan was shutting my gpu down or breaking the pcie express link mid benchmarks or games ><

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    HD64G likes this.
  12. Maulet

Maulet Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6900 XTX
    Did all the steps to make this working. so far so good, Cinebench, Aida bench, BF1 and 5 all good.
    But I had microstutterings before and now i see i continue to get microstutters during office aplications use.
    CPU and GPU (all amd) all updated.
    Windows 11 could be the cause...

13. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    my black screen/crash problem has been fixed ! it had nothing to do with ctr or my cpu
    advanced power settings -> pci express -> link state power management : moderate power settings
    I turned that off and poof no more crashes, power plan was shutting my gpu down or breaking the pcie express link mid benchmarks or games ><

great because PBO is just soo bad completely forgot how bad it was for gaming, jumping up and down from 3800 to 5000 is not good for games, stuttering and fps drop hell
    edit : after a few days playing hw heavy games I can say my blackscreen "bug" on the rtx 3090 has completely disappeared it was the balanced power setting, pci link thing

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  14. xXZeroXx

xXZeroXx Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 56
    Any news on how can I solve the issue it doesn't store the values after the restarts??

15. terry stanton

terry stanton Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    I have an odd one.
    downloaded CTR yesterday all went well and it tuned my cpu brilliantly boosted to 4.9 easly, I decided to retune with the enhanced switch on, so i reset everything and started a diagnose. but it failed at the manual OC stress test 3, I have reset everything and it keeps failing at the same point.

now the odd thing, i reinstalled Ryzen master, just in case it was 'doing something' and testing it shows that the CPU still boosts to 4.9 , so went into the CTR boost check and yes it clocks 4.9(plus a little bit) with peek voltage of 1.4 and a temp of 60-62 dgrs.
    so i am not sure what is going on, i didnt hit those speeds before. has CTR left a profile or something in somewhere.
    the bios was set to defaults so it should be running at base speeds and Ryzen master is reinstalled and running in Default mode, but I do notice in there it states the processor CCX has a limit of 5000, i am sure in basic mode it isnt that.

any ideas ??

16. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    One of the reasons why I can't live with CTR on Ryzen : the awful idle
    CTR doesn't completely eliminate it but at least you don't have an idle at 4,3Ghz@1.45V :rolleyes:
    for those that didn't experience pre-5000 Ryzen they improved things a lot but it's still nowhere near what Intel was doing already 10 years ago

I don't have a picture but when I reinstalled my second 9900K on a Z390 motherboard, on a fresh install with
    nothing else than windows, default bios settings my intel cpu was idling at 800Mhz@0,8V for the grand total of 12Watts, cpu was at like 25°C basically room temp, the "small" detail "internet people" often forget when they complain about Intel heat under 100% load, a load that 99.99% of users will never see but desktop annd light-average load ? that's what most see and some alder lake reviewers finally remembered (jayzetwocents mentioned it)

Here's what I did :
    - BIOS loaded default settings + activated my XMP profile for the memory
    nothing else bios except mem is 100% default
    - installed clock tuner ryzen 2.1 rc5 and after many tries used those settings
    not perfect I have some weird things and some thigns crash like aida memory bench for some reason
    but it wasted enough of my time already so it's good enough
    Code:
    4900 4850 4750
    1400 1375 1350
    1350 25
    1250 75
    autoload profiles
    ctr hybrid oc
    px preset mix
    Cinebench R23 29451 1609
    Cinebench R20 11316 625
    still way better than what the 100% default experience or default PBO both on scores and temps

and here's my idle while I was afk for 5hrs, compare that to your 100% default Ryzen experience with giant clock spikes and insane overclocking voltages above 1.4v for no reason at all
    this is months of work I wasted a lot of time trying to achieve this with the bios with mild success, can't thank enough the people who worked on CTR AMD should hire you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Whats your dekstop work temps, when I say Idle i mean with 3 browsers open, 3 messengers, outlook, speecdcommander, process lasso, RGB software
    Its normal desktop low load usage, i get 60

Open 3 browsers, load one 4K video, open some messengers and see what you get

18. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    ok so that's not idle at all, thats' a pretty heavy usage actually (try a low-end crappy Dell computer you'll see how well they handle
    idle means idle aka not doing anything with the computer, actively using your computer isn't idle

my answer then would be, how much cpu % do you have at what you call "idle" because it's simple below x% of cpu utilization windows considers you are in idle and switches to lower clocks and voltages, more than that x% and you go into full throttle mode which means higher clocks and voltages
    this is not amd specific I had that problem on my 9900k because of corsair icue rgb memory "enable full software control" turns out that option uses a lot of cpu % utilization which on a 5950x you barely see but on a 8 or less cores it will make windows leave what it considers idle and my 9900k was running 5.0Ghz nonstop because of that until I figured it out and disable that option
    I don't know exactly at which % the threshold is, but somewhere between 5-8% cpu usage

AMD also has the "problem" that it quickly spikes clock/voltage as soon as you click open an app or do anything really to improve response so if you using your computer actively it might be a challenge to improve that
    I mean I do 2 clicks on nothing my cpu goes 3400@1.1v -> 4750@1.35v not sure you can fix that

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  19. Viktor92

Viktor92 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1050 2gb
    Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have a 5950x since 4 days ago, replacing my 3700x on a Gigabyte B450M Aorus (that will be replaced in the next days with an Asus B550M Plus TUF WiFi) and my CTR 2.1 values are:

PX
    ---------------------------
    High Mid Low
    4875 4750 4625
    1375 1375 1350

P2
    CCX1 CCX2
    4425 4300
    VID 1150

P1
    CCX1 CCX2
    4125 4025
    VID 1050

I haven't experienced any reboot, instability, NOTHING, and after the CTR tune the scores on CB20 and CB23 improved considerably.
    My idle temp is about 42c, with firefox with A LOT tabs, thunderbird mail, telegram desktop, and some programs more, and I have a Scythe Fuma 2 cooler.
    What I noticed is this: the voltage at idle never descends under 1.06v, but without any CTR profile active (I use all 3) can reach 0.9v. The idle profile can't be manually modified, isn't it ??

20. Viktor92

Viktor92 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1050 2gb
    I've finally replaced the motherboard with an Asus B550M Plus TUF WiFi with the latest BIOS, and ran the tuner with cycle time = 480s and "enhanced accuracy" (it's super slow), not a single crash o reboot, and the system is running perfectly fine, now even the idle voltage can descend well under 1v.

HD64G likes this.