CD Projekt RED victim of attack - Source Code Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3 and more out on the Street

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 9, 2021.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I am not worried about leak. I am worried about encrypted source/resource files. If they do not have a weekly backups then it is a disaster.

PS As for security measures, let`s not forget about pandemia and remote work - providing remote access to private network is complex thing for security.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    CrazY_Milojko and anticupidon like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Fancy giving a brief glimpse into what a game's 'source code' is and why it matters?
    :)

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I don't know about anywhere else but Blackmail here in the UK is a very serious offence. We do not take blackmail lightly at all.

Some may say it's karma but to me it's down right thieving from low lifes.

Silva, Chess and Truder like this.
  4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Let's hope these hackers fix the game seeing as CDPR are clearly not capable of such a thing.

5. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This so bad and terrible. It's a different thing wanting them to stop crunching their employees and actually deliver, and a completely different thing actively trying to destroy the company. What pricks.

Chess likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not really. I don`t know why but I have never been interested in that branch of development.
    But I have fun at site www.codinggame.com

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This.
    Working from home is/was horrendous for security team. The stories some could tell...

9. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    I wouldn't be so harsh. Firstly, you seriously think the programmers, artists, etc had any delusions about the state of the game? These are professionals and they knew precisely what was going on, and what was going to happen - but they have bosses, and THOSE a-holes are 100% responsible. Secondly, let's give it another 6 months. This game may yet be good (I doubt it will ever be great unless it's remade).

sbacchetta, Chess and anticupidon like this.
  10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    My main concern is how this will affect the upcoming patch. I hope it hasn't stopped all progress on it.

As for the hackers, I predict there will be a future group of anti-hackers who will carry this "work" out.

11. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Already on AUCTION......

STARTING @ $1000

Attached Files:

12. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    So. Because of one f*cked game release, CDPR has to suffer. All it's employees, it's previous games and GOG just forgotten or discarded...
    If your moral compass is this 'big' why not try Ubisoft or EA games? They make half finished, repetitive and down played games for years now.

This isn't about CP2077, this is about wanting to see something burn..

13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Can't imagine number of those IT security teams members behind huge corporations who had a normal coloured hair (does anyone doint that has it?) before pandemic happened and now year later with almost completely grey hair. Amount od work and stress to keep everything safe for remote work from home was/is a ultimate test for IT security teams. Just put youself on the place of newbie who started his 1st job as member of IT security team in Q1 2020... it's a horror movie, nothing more, nothing less.

Really sad thing what has happened to CDPR. How anyone here, long time G3D members, has a heart to say something like: "...it's a karma!...". If you were hyped way too much on CP2077 part of the fault is on your side too. Atm CDPR is one of the rare companies, if not the only one atm, that really bust their asses to give us gamers something worth our money, one mistake on their side and all hell brakes loose! Yes, for many gamers out there CP2077 is a mess atm, but they at CDPR will sort this out, I'm 100% sure, they always did, unlike many other much bigger game develper/publishing companies who made a mess of some freshly released game and not too long after release just abandon the ship when game doesn't produce enough cash flow. CDPR is not that type of company, they can't afford to do that and get away with it. They will make CP2077 a game worth talking about with our grandchildren, but not as a meme, mark my words.

anticupidon, Morax and vbetts like this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Now I have to respectfully disagree with this argument because it makes no sense to me. How is the consumer to blame for watching/reading information released by CD Projekt over the years showcasing their next big project? I've always been a supporter of CD Projekt, loved the Witcher trilogy so of course the hype was there. How the game was released was very unfortunate and disappointing, but my choice to play the game has absolutely nothing to do with some punks hacking them. I despise hackers and this is really bad for their already tarnished reputation over the last couple months. But I am allowed to criticize them hacked or not and in no way do I put any fault on myself.

15. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I understand what you're saying, not gonna argue with that.

With lots od delays CDRP failed to deliver what many have paid for in advance (preorder) and expected to get for as a return, many are not satisfied and there lies the root of the problem: army of those folks blindly jumping into hype train willing to burn money on preorders. Folks, just stop preordering games ffs, it'll will force game developers/pubishers to release way more polished games on day one, end of the story. Just wait for the final product to hit the shelves, wait a bit for community of gamers (not those fake YT press release reviews) for a final verdict and then decide if it's worth of your hard earned cash. What's the rush?

Things I don't understand from some other Guru3D members here and all over the internet after this CDRP hacking thing has happened and comments of those horny hypers with foam in their mouth shouting: "...burn CDPR, burn!... IT'S A KARMAAAAAA!!!..." Wtf happened to PC gaming community!? Just put yourself in the position of coder, graphics designer, animator, composer, story writer... inside CDPR team, these are a real people, not some robots. Things like this escalating way out of proportion could be a final nail in the coffin for small companies, we already seen that before, we need CDPR to continue pushing PC games further and raise the bar other developers/publishers has to follow. We seen them doing that before, they will continue doing that, just be a little patient, no ones house is on fire, calm down folks, OK?

I understan this one year long pandemic situation was a nerves train wreck for some folks but doesn't look and sound OK to use this CDPR hacking stuation as a valve for all of their accumulated frustrations. Get drunk with friends, get laid with most ugly looking chick from the local bar, go to shooting range, smoke a pot, take a friends/gf/wife/kids to airsoft/paintball, go to cart track, skydivig, take drifting course, bungee jumping, smash against the floor (when your wifey is not looking lol) that ugly flower vase your mother in law has gave you years ago... :D

jbscotchman, JAMVA, TalentX and 2 others like this.

16. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    Please let's not forget that what has happened here is a crime. And people who comment in favour of this crime are disgusting.
    It's like someone being murdered and you are happy about it.

We all agree that CDPR did a mistake with the release of CP77, but this is nowhere to justify to be a victim of a crime of this level.

I think some people here are not really aware of the damage this crime has caused.
    Let me be more specific to you:

ALL CDPR games are endangered now, that includes:
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • The Witcher
    • The Witcher 2
    • The Witcher 3
    • The Witcher Adventure Game
    • Gwent
    At the same time, CDPR's existence is endangered too, who brought some favourite games to many of us and who also brought GOG and its philosophy to the audience.

Chess, JAMVA, Silva and 1 other person like this.
  17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I hope they are caught and punished.

JAMVA likes this.
  18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think they have offline backups too, right?
    At worst they lost one week or one month worth of work, source code wise, if they backup rarely.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Who would that be? I know... Cops.

They want to teleport right next to criminals. :D

I have seen bits of Parler situation. When known and praised figures go at company wherever they go.
    Going after people who provide services for them. Going after very founders of service.

On one side, world condemnes hidden criminals. On other side, it praises those who silence and attack individuals who support free speech and deplatform millions of people. Because they had different opinion on political party. (Me included. And I am not US citizen, nor have political affiliation with any of their parties.)

Twitter is still around, Facebook too. Why would it be that someone shoots down quickly growing alternative network?
    Did they really do something that wrong?
    Twitter hosts ultra-left mouth pieces without censoring or banning them. Yet even mildly right wing and: "be quiet".
    Facebook having large ultra-left/right groups unmoderated. Groups full of witch hunt propaganda.
    - - - -
    People who can and do destroy others are around and act every day. Bad that CDPR got hit. But is that any different from other hits?
    Look at SolarWinds delivering all that backdoor soft to their clients. (Including company handling data for US votes.)
    CDPR is just drop in ocean. Can you imagine how large will be scale once Amazon Cloud gets hit?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  20. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    like I wrote earlier, the cdpr you knew is dead, their management have a crossed a threshold you don't come back from, greed has taken them over
    the devs are collateral damage of all this, double sentence for them sadly like a slave worker in Egypt that gets his shoes robbed when he faints from pushing blocks to build the pyramids >< you get what I mean I think ;)

if you believe the game can be fixed, you're wearing "rose-tinted glasses" as we say here the "bugs" for the most parts are cheats/tricks used to try and make an open world engine out of something that's not, or more accurately "look" like an open world game (in a bad way as in lie to players) it cannot be "fixed" you'd have to rebuild the game from scratch
    I never considered witcher 3 as a real open world so no surprise for me here, it's obvious for someone with several thousands of hours on GTA, elder scrolls fallout
    One of the community manager or whatever, the one saying "players were plaiyng the game wrong it's not an open world game" for me was right and honest (shouldn't have said that tough, not very corporate) the game never was one, it should have been a deus ex game, could have been a great single player story driven game instead of this mess

I'm not a dev but I have 16+ years of game modding I've seen what was gained (and lost) in elder scrolls/fallout 3d modding so I have a pretty good "nose" for what you can "easily fix" or what isn't, subnautica the 1st one is also a good hint of that, the engine was made for complete deformation of terrain but they didn't want it to be a "sandbox" game and it broke the game story so they disabled it, problem is the game still tries to remember the state of every potentially "deformable" area "block" you explored and so gets slower and slower and slower until you have 5fps, they wanted to rebuild the game with a new engine at some point but it would have been too much work/money lost (which I understand) so they didn't. I'm pretty sure from what I've seen in the years of early access that a good chunk of the game world was actually "carved" with that engine terrain deformation capabilities, you could see caverns dug with giant "balls" cut from the "virtual clay" of the planet surface, the same "balls" the player could dig himself.

I also know what games "could have" and should have in 2021 for example in Oblivion with mods, we had :
    - npc adventurers that spawned at the beginning of a dungeon and attempted to clear it by themselves sometimes dying, sometimes succeeding (including looting critical quest items so you had to kill them to get them back)
    - npc looting for real, corpses and containers inside and outside buildings as if the player, entering every unlocked building they could get too
    - npc factions creating real wars between different enemy types and well most of the time breaking the game as I found several villages where all ncps inside and outside where dead killed by bandits heh non essential quest givers dead usually
    - npcs pursuing another faction through the entire map from north to south, in my case a lich skeleton army following bandits through the woods, each bandit randomly holding a torch or not, one with a real ligthsource casting real shadows while undead npcs ran after them, apart from 1-2 that detected me and turned around to attack me...yet another "unseen" thing since then
    I don't remember who made those mods (only that it required FCOM an attempt of merging several game overhauls together) but I know something
    you can absolutely have "smart" npcs by using tricks in torchlight 2 the melee enemies as they detect you rush to your point of detection 1st and then follow your cursor basically which is annoying when you try to pickup loot but creates a very interesting "behavior" certain mobs circle around you and attack from the rear rather than go straight for you, it makes them very easy to evade when they are alone but more dangerous when you're swarmed as you end up being attacked by all sides, it's not perfect (easily exploited) but an interesting "trick" that should be used more for example in fps games, imagine if when sniping a simple detection script would make 1-2 npc come to your position rather than just turn and shoot, it's kind of what FEAR was like (maybe I'm distorting my memories)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    sbacchetta and jbscotchman like this.