Can I use a PC soundcard to decode external DD/DTS?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by SoulSlave, Dec 26, 2008.

1. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    PowerColor Radeon HD 4850
    It is that simple, I have a satellite receiver (SKY) and a PlayStation3, I would like to be able to use the hardware that I already have (PC + 5.1 Edifier Speakers) to decode DD audio from these sources.

So I was wandering if I could use the optical input from a SoundCard as X-Fi, Xonar, or whatever...

Not sure I was clear enough...

2. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
    yes,as long as ur soundcard has built in DTS DD decoding and digital inputs.

3. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    So, wich one would you recommend? I mean, i know close to nothing about soundcards...

So any recommendation you could give me, would be of great help...

Thanks in advance...

4. Drowsiness

Drowsiness Member

GPU:
    evga GTX 285 1GB
    Asus Xonar D2, imo

5. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    The ASUS Xonar line supports DTS decoding and digital inputs, as does the Razer Barracuda. Both are far better buys than ANY Creative soundcard.

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    For decoding any card should work, aslong they have a digital output. It doesnt need to be a DD live card as your decoding signal that been encoded in digital already.

Unless your planning on using the digital speakers while gaming on your PC. Because Digital would sound the same on any card since your outputing out digital in to a home theather system. So digital quailty would be up to your digital speakers and not the sound card.

7. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    I think you missunderstood me, i'm not concerned about decoding audio from PC games, but from my PlayStation 3 and my satellite reciever...

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I know exactly what your talking about, Some confuse decoding and encoding. Most soudncards will decode through software -DD,DTS off a disk or file but for the digital input that is another story altogether.

The truth is not many soundcards will do what your asking. A few of the Creative cards will allow you to connect a encoded digital signal (DD,DTS) to the digital input and decode it for output over analog to your speakers.
    Many of the newer soundcards don't have this feature. You would also have to worry about latency between to game outputting a signal and the PC outputting the final signal. There might be a considerable amount of time between the two making the set-up unusable for your needs. -Possibly.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    I see...

Well, so, I guess there's no use for a new soundcard then. I mean, if there was any that would allow me that (with no latency problems) I would buy it, as I already have my 5.1 setup...

Well, thats really a shame, I'll just have to settle for a Logitech Z 5500...

It's expensive though...

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    How much of a issue latency is would be dependant on the card, your system, what you are doing at the time. It might not be a factor at all...
    The cheapest way to get what you want would be a Audigy 2 Value, with a Digital I/O module.. This card would give you the ability to decode Dolby Digital or DTS on the digital input. You caould use the same card to output the decoded audio or use another. There is really many ways to approach the task.

11. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    But people keep saying it is just for recording...

Do you know some place where I could find instructions to make such a setup work? I mean, I already have my 5.1 setup, that works great (I like Edifier speakers a lot), but I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a good SoundCard with such capabilities...

I was considering AUZEN X-PLOSION 7.1-CINEMA SCARD PCI for USD 112 on Amazon... but I'm still not so sure...

O well...

By the way, thanks a lot for your help!

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They keep saying what is just for recording?
    The Digital I/O module? -The digital input on the Audigy 2?

The Audigy 2 Value and other cards have the ability to DECODE -dolby Digital Signals and DTS signals. This has nothing to do with recording....
    A straight stereo S/Pdif input can be used for recording but a digital input that decodes is for connecting up external A/V gear....

The Auzen X-Plosion card will NOT decode a DD or DTS signal on the digital input....IIRC.

13. igor_f

igor_f Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    sorry for off-top

moved

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008