Came back to the Green side

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bluedog, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Not a thread to start a flame war but just stating the such. Used Nvidia since the 5900 days but had a hard time getting longevity out of the cards, so gave up with the 6800 series. Thanks to Evga and their generous return policy.

Ran the ATI 4xxx series and most recent 6xxx series without any major issues other than a few driver crashes with my E6700 rig and I kinda like the AMD driver panel layout.

So far with the MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC and driver 320.18 WHQL there haven't been any issues, other than having to refresh my memory on the Control Panel settings. Been playing Metro Last Light at 1080p and what a beautifully done game.

Kinda typical though that I purchase a card and the next generation comes out ... :rolleyes: ... oh well that's always been the issue in the tech world. As long as BF4 will be playable with cranked up settings I'll be satisfied.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    How long have you had it ? you could always return it? or even sell it as it's pretty new I guess?

Then again, finding an Nvidia card more powerful than the 680 is simply much more expensive.

The 680 is about £380 and the 780 is about £600

So it's really not very impressive at all, you pretty much just get your budget so I don't really think you have missed out in truth.

The idea of the next generation is the replace the last one lol at a at least similar price point, this new generation is not much new at all, it's just much more expensive.

Arguably (VERY arguably at this time) you might be a bit thin on VRAM however that issue is going to crop up at 1080p less times than a bald ape eats your porridge right now.

Anyway, single card I would have defo stuck with AMD tbh as the 7970 is proper priced card (not even to mention 3gb 384bit VRAM)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  3. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Yeah I gave it a thought on the returning but the newegg restocking fee would be hard to swallow at 15%. I'll use it for a while and if the 780 prices come down, might sell it and opt for the upgrade.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't even worry about upgrading till Maxwell the 680 is a awesome card over clock it to say 1250ish boost clock and see if you can get the memory up to the 3600(7200 effective) and you have the 770 right there (actually a little better).

5. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Your suggestion is well taken! I've been messing around some with the MSI Afterburner app and the card OC's great so far.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    welcome back? I guess?

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    680 is the best card i purchased in recent years. been using AMD card for 6 years in raw, had great performance per money, the HD5850 specially, but i decided go back to nvidia to see "what's new", since in the past i've been in bad romance with nvidia...

Most say i am very pleased with card and support.