Bungie parts ways with Activision and gets rights to self-publish Destiny

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hey! I purchased a C64 during launch. What are you sayin' man? lol

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It feels like the video game mega corporations are destined to implode. Infinite growth can't possibly be sustained. Because what are you gonna do? Charge $60 up front and then charge $1 per 10 minutes of play? "Insert coin" prompts for extra lives?

These companies aren't making games anymore. They make payment platforms disguised as video games.

If the likes of Activision and EA go under, I say good riddance. But they're not gonna go under. They'll just switch to a platform that supports these fake video games, which is iOS and Android. But even then, good riddance. I won't miss them.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's what they probably want to accomplish with the streaming sh1t. They're playing the game for 100 hours? OMG, how do we monetize that?! And yeah, frack the mobile "games" designed to exploit people.

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I love this, lets see what they can do as an indie.

5. Maybe they can resurrect Oni and Myth while they are at it.

6. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Damn, I completely forgot they even made Oni. One of the best games in it's genre that I've played. I would probably even buy a remake, because I can't imagine gameplay being outdated even for today.

Deleted member 271771 likes this.
  7. It was a fun game, for sure. Changing the model you played with was super fun too. Always thought it was a shame they lost interest in that title.

Backstabak likes this.
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    This happen to most companies that grew to large, marketers take over and try to maximize profits , it is logical for most companies but not gaming ones because you remove what made you successful . Sure you will get few years at best with improved profits but then you lost what was making people to buy your games in the first place.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ahhh well... while I agree with you, this is a PC specific point of view we people have here (mostly). Since, EA does it for decades now, they're filthy rich and doing well, mostly because people don't remember what they're doing, or are on consoles and don't care, or simply haven't been around long enough to know. Fifa20 will just make them as much money as Fifa18, for instance.
    But this problem, too, is with politicians... four years after election people always have forgotten what was promised, and don't compare that to what really happened afterwards.

Venix likes this.
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Fifa has a huge crowd from people that are clueless about all this , hell i bet it has even fans that are allergic to electricity! Also ea is a publisher that buys studios with successful ip's and running em to the ground till they ruin em sadly .

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes I agree, that's what they do... I'll never forgive them for killing off C&C first, now pretty much toning down Battlefield towards COD, even going down the "battle royale" mode... but yes, exactly what I meant, lots of sales to people who don't even think about why now there's lootboxes instead of other rewards in Fifa etc.

Venix likes this.
  12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Bangie escaped em , i i not optimistic that blizzard can so many left , honestly now only a miracle will bring blizzard back and once again the moto of "when is done" .

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Would be funny if in the end it turns out that Acti got rid of something more trouble than it's worth :p This was news worthy to me because they got to keep the IP. I'm still surprised by that.

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes... with almost everybody leading, or being a main driving force behind Blizzard already leaving, I don't get my hopes up too much.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O

hahahaha I love it

Venix likes this.
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AHAHAHAHA :D Love it :D Bobby Kottick is Diablo. Defeat him to save Blizz :p

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Venix likes this.
  18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    ahahahaha i love it !

19. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Been reading Penny Arcade for ages, they tend to be on point. :)

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    They have no one to blame but themselves, their avarice will be their own down fall. The constant need to keep shareholders happy at any cost is what will bring them low. Lootboxes were the golden calf for the game industry easy to incorporate in to the game, often requiring little to no work as they would often be created by cutting content from what would have been traditionally part of the core game and best of all they gave the big game companies LFL profits that would have made Scrooge McDuck jizz a load. Now if the companies had played it fair been a bit more... no lets put it another way if the likes of EA, Ubi, WB, Acti-Blizz and Valve had been less of a bunch of d*cks about their implementation then instead of making all the money at once they could have ridden a decent year on year profit for a very long time.

Then EA decided that this orgy wasn't quite fruity enough and opted to utterly sh*t the bed with SWBF2 and the backlash both from a governmental perspective but as well as a gamer perspective now means that big companies are having to rethink this easy money maker. Reporting to shareholder that instead of making all the money this year they will have to settle for making only some of the money and the second year on year profits are down cuts start getting made.

Did Destiny 2 cost them money? I dunno but I doubt it didn't make a profit but it didn't make all the profit so bye bye Bungie. The only reason Acti-Blizz opted to give Bungie and Destiny freedom is likely because it wasn't making the huge profits they wanted, oh it no doubt made a profit but it didn't make all the profit. The investment to strip the loot grind out of the game and turn it in to, you know, a rewarding engaging game with interesting driving content that resulted in a feeling of genuine reward and achievement instead of a loot grind bore-fest meant that they would have been better starting all over again with Destiny 3 and as I said with the backlash against grindy loot driven non sense being as strong as it is right now giving us a really good game quality game that would have only made some of the profit for a fair bit of work and investment would have annoyed the shareholders more than giving us another mediocre grind loot fest that made all the profit and required next to no work and investment. So like I said bye bye Bungie lets cut this ten year deal short pull the ejector seat cord and get out of here. Will Bungie give us Destiny 3, a decent game that isn't driven by naked corporate greed and pure avarice? Better yet does it matter how good Destiny 3 turns out to be after the mis-fires that have been Destiny 1 and 2, would anyone buy it?

The worrying thing, at least for their fans is Bioware is going to be next, however unlike Bungie when Anthem fails hard EA won't jettison Bioware, set them free to go back to making games they are good at making, they will just close them down. Just how boring does Anthem actually look though? How much does it look like it has been designed from the ground up to be an open world loot grind and with the backlash now seeing all lootboxes removed from that game (at least so EA claim) they are left with what looks like a very sad version of Destiny 2 and Destiny 2 was a rather sad version of Borderlands 2, which was a game that is everything Destiny 2 could have been, interesting, story driven, rewarding engaging gameplay, never felt grindy, fantastic and well priced brilliantly designed additional content and is still being supported to this day, well at least by the community.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019