Boost issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by VultureX, Aug 24, 2012.

1. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Hey everyone,

just bought a new 670GTX. I'm pretty happy with it. It's behaving exactly like in the guru3D reviews. Only there is one thing.

Sometimes i see the core clock going up to 1084MHz, but most of the time this happens when GPU usage is only 50%-80% and I'm already running a solid 60FPS. Then when things get real intense, it always drops to 1071MHz. Why is that happening? Why doesn't it keep running at that speed when I need it? When I have 99% usage it never runs at 1084MHz, while the power usage readings are only 80-85% and temps never higher than 77C.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Once it gets to 70c you lose some mhz. Keep your load temps under 70c to see max boost.

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That, and your understanding of boost reversed. The clock decreases when under more stress, and increases when under less (based on power usage). So when things get more intense it makes sense that it is lowering the clock.

4. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    For safety? Because there is still power head room and according to the previous post, if I keep the temperature low enough then it will use that maximum clock.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I assume for safety, no idea. Most seem to only get those really crazy boost clocks when the card is sub 70c. Reaching sometimes at around 1200mhz. I think it also depends the game.

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I just ran a real quick test when the system was still super cool for a moment and indeed as soon as it hits 70C it starts to downclock again. :)

7. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Hmm, there is more going on though.
    I adjusted the fan profile and temps now always remain below 60C, but now it won't even jump to 1084MHz anymore, while power readings remain the same :(

I don't get it :bang:

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Have you used a program like Afterburner and tried maxing out the power limit?

9. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Power limit is set to 100 now. It can go all the way up to 132. Should I try that?

*I tried setting it all the way up to 132, but it makes no difference. It wasn't even close to using 100% power anyways, so that shouldn't be the problem.

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Okay well apparently it doesn't like high fan speeds. If i keep the card cool at below 60C the fan really starts to make a lot of noise and it doesn't boost clocks to the maximum.

If I keep it at 65C the fan is still pretty inaudible and the clock is fully boosted at 1084MHz.

It only boosts to 1084MHz at 62C xD. Man, this must be the weirdest thing ever. :3eyes: It has nothing to do with fan speed, it only uses max clock between 62 and 70C :3eyes: If it goes over 70C it downclocks, but also if goes under 62!

11. angmar

angmar Guest

just do like a small overclock and add like 30mhz to the core it will raise your minimum boost clock along with it.

12. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Max your power target out. That's the best way to ensure max boost sub 70c. What happens when your fan is cranked, and your power target is set to 100%, your card is exceeding the 100% power target. Once you hit this you card will lower boost regardless of temp. Set power target to MAX, and keep temps below 70c to ensure max boost. I should have said that the first time. :)

13. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I'm not misreading and I'm not even close to the power limit. To make sure I've also tried the same thing with max power limit. It will not use maximum boost clocks if temperatures are below 62C. It's either a BIOS or driver issue. The card is from Zotac and I could not find any BIOS updates on the internet or on their site (which stinks by the way).

Thus I've altered my fan profile now so that it heats up really quickly to 62C and then keeps it in that range below 70C.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Ok, sorry, i see peoples have allready respond about the 70°C limit.

Basically i will say when the usage is high, you hit quicker the TDP limit max and so the clock decrease for stay under the tdp limit, but normally increase it should let you go higher.

Last thing, what is the turbo boost clock given by Zotac for the card ? There's not one card who have the same turbo clock speed out.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im sorry but if these cards have 70c limit before they start down clocking then they start using better cooling, cause most people dont want to hear jet engine coming out of there pc, cause most these fans are terrible loud at anything above 50%

16. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Specs on Zotac's site are like any other reference 670GTX. But at stock clocks my card goes up to 1084MHz anyways.

Here's a GPU-z screen:

[​IMG]

If you put on max performance mode in the driver the values are between 928MHz and 1084MHz.
    Usually 1071MHz if the temperature is not between 62-70C

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  17. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    These cards have a TDP limiter in the bios too. When TDP goes over a certain threshold the card will automatically start throttling to drop the TDP. There was a bios released by EVGA that fixed some crashing and stuff by making the TDP throttling more aggressive.

So the card throttles two ways. One by temp. Once you hit 70c you lose ~13Mhz core clock speed and the voltage will lower sometimes to attempt to keep temperatures down. The other one is based on TDP and can happen at any time.

Boost clock is a little weird. My first card says 1165Mhz boost clock but I get ~1240 before 70c and then I lose 13Mhz. My second card says 1138Mhz Boost clock but I get 1240 again. Both cards set to +145% power target.

FWIW: with my card(s) I always have max boost clock in a DX10/11 game until it throttles by temp. Setting Max performance in the control panel does help with this too. Vsync will also affect how much power the card gets.