bitter end...

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Roostitup, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 SLI 713/1584/1242
    Well, the oldest of my GX2's finally took a **** and died, it's definitely from the bumping issue. God I really hope for a class action lawsuit against Nvidia! My motherboard seems to have finally got finished off, too (I have been having troubles with it)! I'm just in a world of hurt in terms of continuing to fold at this moment in time :( I'm going to warranty the motherboard and within the next couple months I am going to try to purchase a couple 295's :) When I get the computer up and running again I will at least continue to fold on my one GX2 and CPU, but this is not even close to the points I was previously getting, NOO! :( Wish me luck, guys!

2. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    sorry to hear that mate, but if i were you, wait for fermi i hear its gonna scre big points with f@h

3. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    Eh, worse things have happened, but thanks man...On the plus side you can keep the top spot for daily PPD on Guru3d for now, LOL :p

I hear ya about Fermi, but I'm considering the fact that the 295's will probably be cheap after Fermi comes out :) I'm definitely considering getting a Fermi card though *drool*

...on the plus side I fiddled around with my computer this evening for a couple hours and got the motherboard working again, but I don't know for how long... seems to stop at 4E post code and resets the bios every time I take out or put in a video card.

The strange thing is how I managed to finally fix the motherboard this time...after lots of cleaning and fiddling I finally said to myself there really isn't anything to lose so I got more aggressive and punched the motherboard a few times pretty hard and VIOLA, it booted again...force worked last time too, but not as much as I beat on it this time...

...who ever said that hitting electronics doesn't work?! lol!

The video card is officially bricked though...I tore it apart and discovered that EVGA did a horrible job with the thermal paste, about 25+ percent of the both cores were not in contact with the heatsink from lack of paste...fancy paperweight I got now!

I'm up and folding on my CPU and one GX2 again :)

4. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    well as long as its working for now guess your alright ;)

5. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    yeah mustang does hold it, i still dont know who tht is :S

but im also cutting back on my folding, as im looking for my own place, so have to cut down on the amount of bills i pay in my current place :(

im good for about 6 or 7 ppd

7. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    I think I'll be able to run 1 GTX275 for part of the day maybe 3000 - 4000 ppd.

8. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  9. Menth

Menth New Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My GTX275 appears to have dropped....if I try to install Windows with it installed, I get nothing but BSOD's. Had to reinstall my HD4850 lastnight to reload Windows due to a previous installation error that prevented Windows from activating. My GTX275 folds just fine, but the vram appears to be faulty.... I had to cease folding until I can get the card replaced. My HD4850 just doesn't fold effectively enough to make it worth while to run full time. I may just break down and buy an X48 motherboard and Tesla card for folding and run my HD4850 for graphics....it seems to be the only graphics card I can't actually kill....lol. Even with the issues I had that caused it to be replaced, it seems to be functioning completely stable now. Hopefully I'll have a replacement GTX275 within the next 2-3 weeks. I was finally climbing up too =\ Finally got to 179....

11. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    Oh ya, I remember reading about this a year or so ago. I totally forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me, I'm definitely going to give it a try. I have nothing to lose. I'll report back! :)

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Hopefully it works out for you... Good luck!

13. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    Well, no luck this time :( On the plus side, while I was messing with things tonight I did figure out that only one of the cards is bad. I can put the bad GX2 in as the secondary SLIed card and still utilize at least one of the GPU's. I can enable 3-way SLI and everything! I am going to talk to EVGA about this and hopefully they will feel pity on me and replace it under warranty even after I've taken it apart. Thanks again for the input!

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    As long as you have registered the card within 30 days of purchase and it's an under warranty product, EVGA will replace it if it is not physically damaged. Their warranty even covers replacing the TIM or installing aftermarket cooling as long as you return the card to it's original condition before doing an RMA.

15. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    Hmm...well I accidentally broke a small part of the case when I took it off a while back. They will probably be picky about "physical damage" huh? I would imagine they will look for any reason to not replace it.

16. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    Looks like EVGA is going to send me a replacement! I'm stoked!

*There is a chance I may receive a GTX 295 as a replacement, I'm even more stoked! I'm putting up a good argument that I think they will understand. We will see...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  17. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    Well they sent me out a GTX 275 as a replacement to my GX2 which is what I was afraid of. I'm not backing down, this is BS because according to their policy they have to replace my card with and equal or better performing card. They do not specify how they judge an equal or better performing card. I'm arguing that my GX2 got ~11,000-12,000 PPD while the GTX 275 gets ~7,000-9,000 PPD, thus this is a lower performing card. Granted in games the 275 performs equal, but not in Folding@home which is what I run most. Technically they have to give me a better card. I will fight this because I am losing performance in the end, which is against their policy and they CAN get sued.

What do you guys think of this?

18. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well there policy is performance in games i assume so once you register the card you probably agreed to the terms and conditions but i dunno you should check it out.

19. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    You should keep up the fight mate. I'd get pissed as well.
    All they've said is that you have to get something equal or better in terms of performance. They've never said it was only game performance, have they?

20. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    Nope, it's performance in general. Not games.

Oh I did. I finally got in contact with a manager who agreed to replace it with a 295. He really didn't want to, but agreed to it anyways. He did provide a couple more options, and one I couldn't pass up. So, I ended up deciding to go with getting two GTX 275's instead of a single GTX 295. I decided to go with this option because the 275's have the same chip only in 55 nm, but double the memory and higher clock rates. Two 275's simply outperform a 295. I am a very happy customer now.