BIG mousecursor R9-290

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by KBDE, Dec 31, 2013.

1. xddevv231

xddevv231 Guest

GPU:
    1A
    wow thanks for this!!!!
    one question:
    I have a Syncmaster PX2370... what hex values would I use to set it to 23? I used the ones provided, but it blows up the windows.

Thanks

2. TacticalQuit

TacticalQuit Guest

GPU:
    2x R9 290X
    Height: 286.41mm

Length: 509.17mm

Play with those 2 values until you get approximately that.
    Higher hex, higher mm

3. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    I would try: (HEX 34 1D) 520 x 290 mm (23,4 in)
    These are the official edid values from a 24" 1080p monitor i have here.

Also make sure the scaling is @100% in windows if its still big after loading the fixed driver.

4. supernova

supernova Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc
    Some additional questions for 'big mousecursor'.

Hi all!

Sorry for using an old post, but I think the solution given by KBDE is incredibly helpful for many AMD card owners. Thanks a lot for the beginners guide!
    Since I'm sceptical that AMD will solve the Big cursor issue with a driverupdate soon, I might just have to use the guide myself. I am, however, left with a few questions:

- The final beginnersguide by KBDE doesn't mention flashing fixed Edid data into the TV, like he mentioned doing in an earlier reply. Does this mean it's not necessary for most of us?

- I understand that I need to boot windows without signed driver-enforcement to be able to install the custom-made monitor driver. But do I have to boot like this everytime I start up the computer, or will it accept the driver in non-testmode after it has been installed? And what happens if I boot the computer while not in testmode? Will my computer be able to see my monitor at all, or will I be in trouble?

- Assuming AMD DOES actually manage to fix the big cursor issue with a new officially signed driver, how can I best uninstall the custom-made driver, and replace it with AMD's new one?

- I can't find the HEX values for a 40 inch widescreen to fill in with 'monitor asset manager'. Does anyone know them?

Thank you very much for your help!

5. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Flashing the fixed edid to the monitor/hdtv is only a luxury, not really needed at all.

Once you installed the driver you dont need to boot windows without signed driver-enforcement again. Its just a one time only event.

Uninstalling is easy, right click, uninstall.

40inch i dont know... but just so you know, windows has the habid to increase everyrthing on screen once you go above a certain displaysize, i'm not sure when this happens, but if you use the 24" or 26" values this aint a problem.

6. supernova

supernova Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc
    Thanks for the fast reply.

I'll try this tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be gaming with a normal sized mousecursor soon :) . What a relief that would be!

7. supernova

supernova Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc
    Hmmm, that didn't go according to plan...

I created a monitor.inf file following your instructions. That went smoothly. The problem is, that when I want to update the driver in device manager, it doesn't seem to recognize the monitor.inf file. When I direct it manually to the right folder, it says "the best version" of the the devicedriver is already installed, and "no new or better driver versions are found" (well, something like that anyway, I'm translating from a Dutch windows version here). I booted with the unsigned driver option, and I also tried it with windows in testmode, but that gave the same result. Any ideas what could cause this?

I'm wondering about a few things:

- Are you running on (windows 7) 64 bit as well?

- Does the location of the monitor.inf file, or the filename itself make a difference when it comes to recognising this file by windows?

- The Getedid and monitor asset manager were installed in my (x84) program files folder. Would the created driver be different if those programs were installed in the 64 bit program files folder?

- Is there any other way to install a monitor driver than through device manager?

These are my random thoughts about what could be causing this proble, but ofcourse every suggestion what could be wrong would be very welcome,

Thanks.

8. supernova

supernova Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc
    Is there anyone who could point me in the right direction with the problem described in my previous reply. I only have untill Friday to return my R9 290 to the store, but it would be a shame to do so, only because of the driver issue (unfortunatly the new ATI-drivers released recently also didn't fix the big cursor problem).
    Any pointers to what could be causing my computer to not recognize the custom made monitordriver would be much appreciated.

9. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    There is not much special to it. With windows7 you don't even have to disable driving signing. Just go to the device manager update the monitor driver to the just created monitor.inf

Don't let windows search for a new one automatically, but point to it manually. You will have to click a few times for that. If done incorrectly windows complains its already good the way it is. So make sure to click the correct buttons.

After its correctly installed the monitor name should rename from "Generic PNP monitor" to something else (depends on the monitor/tv you have) if it doesn't it isn't installed correctly. Try again. ;)

After this reboot the pc and the mouse should be normal. :)

10. supernova

supernova Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc
    I would expect it to be really easy too. Just in case I'm missing something really obvious here, I'll describe the steps I'm taking:

- Go to Device Manager
    - Double click on Generic PnP Display
    - Click update
    - Click "Search my computer for drivers" (I'm translating from Dutch windows, so I might be off a little with the exact translation)
    - Then I click the "Browse" button, and browse to the folder that contains the monitor.inf file (Program files (X86)\GetEdid1.2). (I tried both with, and without the subfolder checkmark).
    - When the right folder is displayed next to the "Browse" button, I click "next"
    - A split second later a screen is displayed that tells me "The best drivers for your device are already installed". A "close" button is the only option left at this point.

One thing I did notice: The monitor.inf file doesn't pick up my TV, but my Marantz receiver, which is in between the two. The resolution, audio etc. data it detects seem to be correct though.

Are the steps I'm taking above correct? Thanks.

11. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Nah, not correct. You let windows search automatically.

In windows 8.1 its like this:
    You have to click update driver, then browse (lower option), then let me pick a driver, then let me pick from a list of device drivers.... , then have disk, then browse to the monitor.inf then confirm a few times. ready. :)

In 7 if i remember right it should be simular. Just never click an option that windows should search automatically.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  12. supernova

supernova Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc
    I guess my translation of the option I chose wasn't very good than :) . I was careful not to select the automatic update option, but the manual (lower) one instead. When I subsequently select the option to choose from a list, it doesn't find the monitor.inf file. Same story when I manually select the folder where the driver is located, it just doesn't appear to see it.

13. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Then you still clicked the wrong options i'm affraid. If done correctly you do not select a folder to search in, but the monitor.inf file itself.

14. supernova

supernova Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X oc
    You sir, deserve a Medal! Despite my stupidity, I finally managed to update the driver. I was indeed using the wrong "browse" option, as you mentioned. Thanks to your instructions, I finally found the right option, and everything seems to work as it should. I hope you don't mind one last question:

- Will installing a future official catalyst driverupdate replace my custom made monitor driver as well? (and therefore: Will I have to manually install the custom made monitordriver again?)

Much respect for your solution and patience. Thank you!

15. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Nah i don't think you have to reinstall it everytime. Monitor |= display driver.
    That said; keep the monitor.inf somewhere safe so you can reinstall if necessary.

16. Eustachy

Eustachy Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R7 260X
    I have a r7 260x, a Samsung TV and a HDMI cord, ran into this problem, thankful that I'm not alone here. I followed those instructions and it did indeed work, after I reboot the big cursor is gone.

However, if I reboot again at some point after that, the big cursor comes back. Even though the fixed driver is still loaded. I can fix it again by replacing the default driver then going through all the steps again but it is irritating. Is there some reason why the big cursor goes away at first but then comes back? I'm starting to think I should just buy a DVI or DisplayPort cord but I am too cheap

17. kumars

kumars New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5750
    KBDE, U are a savior!!!!
    Happened to me after installing AMD Catalyst 15.7...
    Thanx!

18. brubaker

brubaker Guest

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290 4G D5
    amd are just incompetent, after she broke my balls for a week at every boot the computer with the notice of the new driver in output, finally decide to install them, and after I installed the mouse huge problem, now I have to spend time to remedy a problem because of their drivers plagued by problems....
    with nvidia, I never had these stupid problems that make losing only time...:3eyes: