Big Bang: Start of The Universe, successfully re-created.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pill Monster, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider have come the closest ever to re-enacting the beginning of the Universe – reproducing conditions a millionth of a second after the Big Bang.

Colliding particles of lead at each other at close to the speed of light, they produced heat a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun - temperatures close to those generated at the beginning of time.
    The series of "mini-Big Bangs" were so powerful, scientists were hopeful they would cause sub-atomic particles to "melt" into their most basic ingredients and bring researchers closer to finding the fundamental building blocks of the Universe.
    It was hoped the resulting hot dense "soup" would also prove the existence of a whole new state of matter known as the Quark Gluon Plasma.

More:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...-of-the-Universe-mini-Big-Bang-recreated.html

Epic collision brings scientists closer to grasping universe's origins

Scientists say they are a step closer to recreating the conditions at the birth of the universe and to understanding life as we know it, after the successful collision of heavy lead ions in a massive machine in Europe.

This week, for the first time, ions were smashed together inside the Large Hadron Collider along the French and Swiss border. Until now, only protons had been collided in the experiment.
    The tiny particles' lightning-fast collision promised to produce temperatures up to 100,000 times hotter than the sun, said Michael Tuts, a professor in experimental high-energy physics at New York's Columbia University and one of hundreds of scientists involved in the project.

"What we're doing is reproducing the conditions that existed at the very early universe, a few millionths of a second after the Big Bang," said Tuts, referencing the cosmic explosion that many scientists believe spawned the universe from one minuscule particle.

ALICE, an acronym for A Large Ion Collider Experiment, is run through the European Laboratory for Nuclear Research and involves physicists, engineers and technicians from around the world. Many of these scientists will examine the aftereffects of this latest ion collision as they try to step back further to the universe's emergence billions of years ago.

More:
    (CNN)

[​IMG]

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

Dr David Evans: "From conception to design and building this, it's taken about 20 years."
    Continue reading the main story Related stories

The Large Hadron Collider has successfully created a "mini-Big Bang" by smashing together lead ions instead of protons.

More:
    BBC News

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    nice, too bad religions will take credit and say it was all their god's doing

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah, and too bad people like you make really stupid comments.

Nice way to get an infraction.

4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    yup, some amazing research being done with the hardon collider, especially the quark aspect.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No more discussion like that which will lead to derailing the thread. Drop it.

Personally I've been keeping up with the news about the LHC for a long time now. It makes me wish I was born in the far future, the great majority of things we imagine which is nearly possible with our current technology probably won't exist for decades to come.
    Don't make such a typo. A long time ago I went to type in hadron in wikipedia but accidentally typed hardon, it was not a pleasant surprise when the page loaded.

6. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    ^ LOL. Makes it all the funnier as I watch the third season of The Big Bang Theory. :p Anyway thanks for posting Pill Monster, it's quite interesting.

7. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    lol, sorry. :banana:

8. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Big Bang is just an theory full of s.hit.
    Yeah.. and doing it with powerless machine xD

universe has always been and always will be there without big bangs.

9. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    From what I understand, colliding your hardon with most things is an unpleasant experience. Unless it's Oprah's face.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol....I heard that while watching A Universe from nothing on you tube. U may have seen it but if not then def watch it. It's a 1hr lecture presented by Lawrence Krauss..
    I found it fascinating even tho I didn't understand some of what he was saying...Amazing how much of it is due to the Hubble..

If they can determine the origin of the universe b4 I die, I'll die happy..

Welcome :)

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually, it hasn't. It's expanding at an ever increasing speed.

That's already been proven, just in the last few yrs

Back when I was at school we were taught it was static...or that the rate of expansion was slowing, .but The Hubble changed that.

12. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I really hope that they find some evidence of Higgs Boson in that data. If evidence of Super-string theory is found, it would really be exciting.

13. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    So its expanding faster than light.. by 1000 times... thats 1 WROOONG in that theory.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Meh... And in 60's they though that we have flying cars a la Mass Effect at this time.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What are you talking about?

16. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Originally Posted by Pill Monster
    Actually, it hasn't. It's expanding at an ever increasing speed.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah..and what about it?

I'm not following your point at all...you aren't making sense..:3eyes:

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    If universe started expanding with increasing speed, it woud expand now many times faster than light.

19. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    I don't like Twinkies.

20. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I don't think he knows :p

My take from the articles is that they've replicated the energy levels they believe existed at the start of the universe.

One thing that bugs me about calculating the expanding universe, is we can convert energy to matter and matter to energy. However, as far as I know it there's no way to convert energy to space and it strikes me as intuitive that there should be a way to do that if we're really creating the conditions of a "big bang" style universe.

That is to say, every time I've heard somebody discussing these things it seems like they assume that volume exists independently from the universe. I don't think that is a correct assumption.

Then again, maybe I'm just being stupid :D