BFG 6600 GT OC "WoW Tearing Artifacting'

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jflo22, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    Ok, so I just upgraded from a BFG 5900 XT OC. (Wanted to see the game how its meant to be played) I can play World of Warcraft for about 2 hours and then I start to get some really bad tearing and artifacting. Now my first thought was that the card was probably getting too hot. I just couldnt believe that BFG would put a Fan/sink on their card that wouldnt do the job, so I tried multiple drivers and got the same results. I'm not sure if this card has a temp monitor on it but I will check tonight. If I have the temp monitor, what is a max temp in your opinions that this card should reach. Also, WoW just doenst seem anywhere near as graphics dependent as Doom3 and that plays fine w/no problems. I just bought PCI Slot Cooling to try it out and see if I dont get anymore tearing/artifacting in a couple of hours. I also ran 3DMark03 to see if I could get it to artifact and it wont do it there. Maybe its just a problem with the game. Any suggestions are welcomed here or if anyone has experienced the same kind of problems.

2. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    check your temps, i don't think they should go above 60, max 80; if the temps are okay, and you're not overclocking, and you haven't unlocked pipes, then ur card's got some serious problems.

3. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    yup take that BFG heatsink off and apply some GOOD arctic silver too the GPU and Ram sinks. and MAKE SURE the heatsink is screwed down tight.
    BFG takes plane old white ceramic thermal paste and slaps a HUGE amount on it and it oozes out all over around the ram and GPU. this is stupid! and BFG should know better.

if your getting tearing after a certain amount of time its almost guarenteed that your video card temps are way too high.

if your overclocking the card at all dont until you find the problem and solve it.

also spend the $30 bucks and get an NV Silencer 5 this cooler is almost guarenteed to lower your temps 10-15 deg on both idle and load.
    its just too bad the fan moves so slow cuz if it moved faster and pulled more air it would run cooler.

4. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    I like the 2 suggestions but I'm kinda afraid to void the warranty on this thing. Do you guys have any other suggestions that dont require me to physically mod my card to make it cooler? What do you think about the PCI slot coolers that are out, like the one I just bought in the link?

5. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hay

Hi i have a suggestion for you. But i don't think you well like it much. Don't O/C so much you should no biger is not all ways better.

6. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    Actually the card to the right was the wrong one so I changed it to the current one. I'm not even gonna OC the 6600GT.

I took the card out this morning before work and noticed a nice big burn spot on the circuit. I am taking back to store today to grab another one and see what happens.

7. seagoat

seagoat Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256mb
    what were ur results? My card >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    does the same thing and runs at wbout 67 celcius when i play WoW for extended periods of time, yet my problem starts right when I boot it up. Id like to know what results u got when u returned, I was gunna do all the thermal paste and stuff but I don't want to void warranty either, just in case the cards broken.

8. MC1

MC1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 6600GT
    I also hve Gigbyte 6600gt (turbo edition) that got really hot like 90-110 and then i got a PCI slot cooler and now temp doesn't go above 65 even if it goes that hi. So it is a good idea.

9. seagoat

seagoat Member

GPU:
  10. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    World of warcraft does have these artifacts with nvidia cards........as I have found out that right now the only thing you can do is adjust your video setting and see what your computer likes.........As I have also found out that these video card require a lot of power to operate also.......I ended up installing a 500 watt power supply to keep up with my BFG 6800 gt. And yes cooling is a must.......I have 6 case fans to help with cooling.....mine runs 58Deg C.....Also an unstable power supply can also cause tearing in all games........if you only have tearing in warcraft........join the club......its a warcraft issue

11. seagoat

seagoat Member

GPU:
    i get tearing in BF2 also, i have a 480 watt psu, good cooling, all that stuff. jackling what driver are u running?