Best budget 1TB SSD? M.2? Sata 6gb/s?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Thebrave85, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Thebrave85

Thebrave85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    I am looking too get a new SSD for games/apps and some productivity software, and looking for 1TB right now. I did some looking into my motherboard and confirmed I have 1 m.2 slot I can use that's unused as of right now, my motherboard is an ASUS X99-A Rev.1. So what is the best speed/price bang for the buck right now around 1TB. Thanks!!

Current System:
    i7-5820K @4.4Ghz
    16GB DDR4 2400
    256GB (old school SSD for OS)
    3TB External USB 3.0
    Gigabyte RTX 2080 OC
    Corsair AX850 Plat Cert

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    After doing a quick check i see you can use a full fat x4 pci-e 3 nvme so its really down to your budget so might be best if you give us a max budget limit, Samsung seem a little pricey at the moment so perhaps a Crucial P1 1tb or may be the WD Blue SN550 1TB both are the lower end of performance although a lot faster than standard sata ssd`s, ive had a P1 1tb and have to say it was a pretty good drive although i found it did run a little warm until i put a fan assisted heatsink on it, both drives have been review on guru3d and they are both similar in price but the WD is better specs on paper

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  3. Thebrave85

Thebrave85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 690 4GB
    I want to spend under or around >$130 for a 1TB SSD.

4. luciano10rd

luciano10rd New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD 5850 1024MB
    I think this could be a good opportunity.

Attached Files:

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    sykozis and 386SX like this.
  6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Order that WD Blue straight from WD. They are the cheapest at the moment. Next best is Newegg for $10 more. Last is Amazon as they are $10 more than Newegg.

jbscotchman and 386SX like this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    In my area the good ol' Crucial MX500 is 99.99 euros. SanDisk isn't bad neither and costs about the same. Both sata drives.
    When it comes to m.2 drives I agree with the others on the WD drive.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Thanks. Newegg is out of stock at the moment anyway. Can't wait to try this out, i'm still using HDD.

386SX likes this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Update:

Well got the new drive installed yesterday. Fast as hell!! I am done with sata cables forever! Seriously though, going from HDD to this is like....

mindblown.gif

patteSatan, AsiJu, Blackfyre and 3 others like this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Ahh, good ol' NVMe SSD <3

386SX and jbscotchman like this.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I put one in the system I built for my mom last weekend. Definitely impressive performance.... Coincidentally, you're the reason I ordered it.... (refer to post #5....)....and you didn't even have one at the time!!!!!

Even paired with an Athlon 3000G, the performance is amazing. That thing launches applications faster than my R5 2600 can with it's Intel 660P.... 1/3 the cores/threads, 1/2 the memory and 1/2 the storage....yet, manages to be more responsive.... I'm half tempted to swap the drives in mine and my son's computers for SN550s.....damn you!!!!! It's all your fault!!!!

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    morpheus.jpg

AsiJu, sykozis and yasamoka like this.
  13. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    What do you do with it? I have a 850 Evo and 970Evo+ and outside the very rare case when I have to drop some huge file on the 970, there's basically no difference from the 850 for pretty much anything.
    To be honest, I think I got so used with HDDs that SSDs never really blew me away, outside the OS load times. I still remember playing Monkey Island II on a Amiga 500 from like 11 diskettes I had to swap between, those were the days. I still have the games I don't play much or I use as benchmarks on the HDD, I just read something on the phone while the game loads, and after that it's pretty much a similar experience as the game being on the 970+.

As a side note, the fast NVMe drives depend quite a lot on CPU performance, so if you're really into this stuff, you can accelerate them quite a bit by overclocking, at least in benchmarks. My 970 scores like 16.5K in AnvilPro, but if I put the 8700K at 5GHz it goes to 18.2K or so, above the Gen 3 stack on the guru benchmarks and closing in on the Gen 4s. If I use an older microcode it goes even faster, the security fixes Intel implemented have hit quite hard the NVMe benchmarks.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Gaming and internet. I have a fiber connection, downloaded and installed Control and Metro Exodus in like 15 minutes earlier today.

toyo likes this.
  15. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I have a 1Gbit connection FTTH connection myself, it barely fills the write capacity for a 7200 rpm HDD at its top 120MB/s. Rarely seeing this sort of numbers tho', maybe when I download from Epic/Bnet/Steam I get 40-50MB/s most often, sometimes 80MB/s.Downloading from Google Drive also seems to "cap" around 50MB/s, probably depends on how close the servers.
    But if you download and install to the same SSD, yeah, it should see pretty big improvements in numbers. But a half decent HDD should easily be able to write at 130-180MB/s.

16. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
  17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    What NVMe driver did you end up going with? I tried the Samsung and it was faster than the MS one but also heated up the drive a bit more as well. Just curious, I ended up using the MS one and the thing is still fast even with it connected to the x2 slot on the board.

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    The WD Blue, very pleased with it. Wouldn't mind adding another down the road if necessary.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Oh my you're in for a treat

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Aw man, I just recently got a 660p myself...

Damn you technology!

Btw was gonna actually recommend the 660p to OP... well not anymore.

jbscotchman likes this.