Bend it like an iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2014.

1. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    No chance of bending a device which has been machine crafted from a block of aluminium. HTC One M8 will be my next phone...with Windows Phone 8.1.

2. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    HP ENVY RTX 2080 LM
    >implying apple was ever good
    >greentexting on guru3d

And even MBPs bend with enough of an impact and they are carved out of a brick of aluminium

Still rocking my droid bionic @1.4GHz. So much for paying when I get the same experience on a free phone from 3 years ago.

3. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Always thought the majority of crapple users were Benders :giggle2: :banana:

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Only a self smug self absorbed designer designs a phone out of aluminum which in itself blocks signals, forgetting the lesson of a previous version if your thumb was over a spot it would stop the signal and they had to hand out hundreds of thousands of free phone covers

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Had the exsact phone you are referring to (iPhone 4) never had a case on it and never dropped calls. That was a drummed up smear campaign this however is not and should not be comapared.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So out of the 10million plus sales, only 9 people have reported bent phones.
    Out of those 9 people, most were obese

Bad publicity always exaggerates things

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    And some people always trust numbers published by Apple.

I currently live in Indonesia and some of my friends already imported either the vanilla 6 or the Plus variant.
    One vanilla bent a bit, two Plus(es) bent a bit more...from 3 people (out of 7).
    I doubt they're in those 9.
    Just because there's only 9 people reporting (according to Apple) doesn't mean there's only that many incidents.

You probably have no idea how pride may affect people's openness about their new device's condition after the fact.
    These people won't report their devices being bent, or at least just shrugging off the bend like it's nothing.
    Especially when they have paid quite a sum for it.
    They probably just store their phones more carefully and hope getting a hard case like OtterBox to help them 'unbend' it later on.

Also, most average Joes/Janes probably didn't report it straight to Apple stores, but to their carriers.
    And then being told off Apple stores don't cover such damage, so they didn't want to waste their time dealing with those Geniuses.

Another interesting read over at Reddit (ikr?).
    It's likely not the metal being involved, but the inner compartments design itself.

http://np.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comm...test_iphone_6_plus_followup/ckrzrsi?context=3

Apple engineers' oversight?
    Say it ain't so!

8. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Another video from unbox therapy

9. 3Dghost

3Dghost Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    it`s hard to believe that they did not test....bending

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Sorry but that's probably the stupidest thing i have ever heard. If theres an issue, people will replace it.

Also, there have been tests on other phones that have fared worst than the IP6, but alas they don't get publicity because nobody is lining out the door to buy them.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Which phones exactly?

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The one that comes to mind is the HTC One, took 20 pounds less than the IP6 Plus to bend

13. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    From the consumer reports test? HTC one was the only phone they claimed worse than the iphone 6+, yet same as the normal iphone 6. Personally I find their results a little odd as they claim the 6+ performed better than the normal 6. Also their bend test exerted force directly in the centre of the phone, yet all the instances we've seen of the 6+ bending have been in the corner near the volume buttons (i.e. if the bend force was applied off centre the result may have been entirely different, if that is the weak spot).

Edit: Also, can an average male exert 70~ pounds of force with their thumbs? (I've no idea), Lewis quite clearly bends it using his hands with little difficulty.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  14. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Skinny Jeans + Iphone6 + Fat a$$ = Broke phone.

I know plenty of people with an iPhone 6 who don't have this problem, and some of them are rather large too. They also don't wear skinny jeans or sit down with their phone in the back pocket.

I mean seriously... these people deserve to be in the running for the 2014 Darwin Award.

Btw... it takes over 70lbs for the iPhone 6 to fail. 90lbs for the 6+.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/26/consumer-reports-iphone-6-plus-bend-test/

Anyone putting that kind of weight on it gets what they deserve.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Nah

But similar as with Microsoft, Bill somewhat stepped down. The iconic leaders are gone.

Mistakes will be made, profits will diminish, competition will slightly arise but we're far from a death for both MS or Apple.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Placing a weight on top of something to press down is not the same effect as pressure being put on something in a more natural manner. There is no way in hell that guy could output anywhere near 90lbs of pressure using his thumbs. It didn't even look like he was trying when he practically snapped the second one in half.

Edit: It claims case separation was at 110lbs, he separated it from the case seemingly effortlessly using his thumbs. Are you telling me he has some sort of Hulk thumbs which put way more pressure than 110lbs? It's nonsense.

17. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    My Samsung Rugby Pro won't bend at all. It also has been soaking wet and dropped 10 feet and still has not broken.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I saw it from another vid on youtube, but yes consumer reports did it as well.

If you watch the vid of the IP6 bending, his hands are shaking and his thumbs are white. He exerted force really quickly to make it seem as if he wasn't trying.

Anyways, nobody should worry about bendinh their phone on a daily basis, its a rare occurrence for it to happen. Hell Ive seen the old iphone 4 bent before and that requires 150lbs to bend, you just dont see it often.

19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I can only think of this:

[​IMG]

20. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Only 9 reported 'so far', and if 'most' of those 9 people were obese then what you're trying to say is don't sell it to fat people?