Bah, Fraud attacked.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by soul8103, Jan 18, 2009.

1. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yes, I am now a victim of internet fraud damnit. Basically had a massive sum of money taken out of my current account by someone hacking my paypal and buying random crap on ebay (a lot of *****......). Hopefully paypal will get all my money back to me (well they damn well should) but otherwise this is pretty damn annoying. Gonna also have to change my bank number and cards on monday. Fraud absolutely sucks. Has anyone else in G3D been paypal spammed before. Info would be great.

God damn scumbags...

*EDIT* don't know why s-h-o-e-s is a forbidden word haha..

2. justmeez

justmeez Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 SC SLI
    Well havent been a paypal victim but recently (last week) I checked my accounts online like I normally do daily and saw that some random magazine company had a pending charge of $90 bucs on one of my accounts. That was last monday. I called them and told them I never signed up and to cancel the account and refund my money, was given a ref number and told the acc would be canceled and money refunded the next day. Well weds came and my money hadnt been returned so I called em up and they told me they had no record of me canceling the acc! lol since the charges were still pending I called up my bank told em what happened reported my card as stolen/lost and that right there took care of everything. :)(wow I typed more than I thought:nerd:)

3. BorTriggerHappy

BorTriggerHappy Master Guru

GPU:
    5870 & GTX 275
  4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    How much was this sum as if you only have standard cover you will be covered up to £500

5. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Naa i have full cover. Well Lets just say a lot lol^^. Since my account has been hacked or used fraudulently with multiple sums lower then £50-£200 each time thankfully I can get all of my money back. It just may take a while.

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    ehhh well thats good at least you know you will get it back.

7. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    They hijacked your pal account and bought footwear? Weirdo's.

S-hoe-s is forbidden because of spam links.

8. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    lol damn dude, sorry to laugh but sh0es? id suspect a girlly or friend you know got your secret question right and raided your account. see if you can find the shippin address

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Fraud scum! I hates um! Part of the problem is that there is next to no proper investigation of theses types of offences! The Police have effectively washed their hands of this type of crime, the banks etc are now mostly responsible for their own investigations! I know the reasons why time, money, public priorities, Government priorities blah, blah...

It just doesn't sit right! Hope you get your pennies back matey!

10. Sparx

Sparx Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    As for everyone wondering why the fraudster bought a load of *****, they were probably setup by himself and he just bought them off the OPs account so he could get the money..

11. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    what i was going to say :)

ive been paypal scammed, sold stuff to people and then they do a chargeback.. fukcing sucks, from my experiences paypal are useless at defending the seller, me at least -.-

12. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yeah well it's pretty much mostly resolved now. As for the s-h-o-e-s, I have also had a laugh about that down at the pub with the crew. As for getting my pw/details. Who knows the funny thing is i have not even used my paypal account in about 8 months. Oh well though such is life as long as i get the money back no harm done. Need to change my email/bank details though which is a ball ache. Thank god it's not linked to my work email though. That would have been detrimental.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  13. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    What we really nead is a decent alternitive to Pay Pal to bring in some competition and hopefully they will buck up there ideas

14. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I dont really agree with credit cards but i have an egg card , its linked to my paypal account , they will repay any money lost to internet fraud , i dont buy anything ive not got the money for anyway so its paid off every month , something to think about if your worried

15. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    That sucks, this happened to my GF a few years back, and it sucked. But she did get everything back.

People who do this are ****ed up. It is pretty annoying, and messes things up for the victim until everything is back to normal.

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Fraud like this is insidious! The offender remains unknown and its a vast invasion of privacy and information security. Makes me want to bash heads in and I'm very good at it!

17. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Well thankfully its mostly resolved now. Should have the rest back by the end of the week. Yeah it's a mother****er waking up and finding out a big chunk has been crapped out of your current account without any knowledge of it. Feel sorry for anyone else caught up in the fraud as well. Hallryu mate don't tell me about it., theres a few heads i wouldent ming 'bashing' over this crap.

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    It can be done in many ways, email phishing, website spoofing, hacking email accounts, installing malware, man-in-the-middle attacks, hacking your PayPal account (less likely), weak emergency authentication solutions (you lost your password, you lost your email, you lost your hardware token, all needs a emergency solution which may be susceptible to attacks and data mining).

I would strongly suggest you try and figure out how this happened otherwise it can happen again.

My suggestion is use a hardware token for authentication (One-Time Password Token), it is better then nothing.
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...iven/securitycenter/PayPalSecurityKey-outside

But it's not prefect and you will still have to watch out for the usual suspects.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/25/strange_spoofing_technique/
    http://www.schneier.com/essay-083.html

19. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    This is why i don't use Paypal, if you want to sell something or buy something in a forum, use money order.

20. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Thx animatrix will look into the info you have provided. Yeah I will take some time to look into how this has happened, especially considering I rarely use my laptop for more then surfing nowadays, and all the sites I visit are harmless. Don't download, or any anything of that nature. No virus's/keyloggers found either

Measures im employing now is changing everything from email to bank number/card. Once I have all my money back I will also be closing down my paypal account especially since I do not really buy/sell on ebay anymore.

Hopefully this will keep me in good sted...