ATI Catalyst 6.5 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2006.

1. Opty

Opty Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Gecube x1900xtx
    I get real smooth gaming and i'm yet to have a problem with this Oblivion 6.5beta.

2. Tuco

Tuco Guest

The best way to install the 6.5 chuck patch is during the official 6.5 driver install, install the chuck drivers right after you install the official 6.5s and before you reboot, and it should be fine..

I remember with the 6.3s and 6.3 chucks that I would have problems or they wouldn't work or something if you install chuck alone after a reboot.

And also if you dont want CCC just install chuck patch as a driver alone, and install the WDM drivers from the official set.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2006
  3. No issues with games that I am aware of. The problem so far is only with ATI TOOL overclocking utility, for some reason with the 6.5's videos files cause you to lose your overclock settings.

4. Mattman[CDN]

Mattman[CDN] Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO2 PCI-E
    6.5 betas are workin fine for me on an agp rig and this pci-e im using online , Are the whql out yet?Does the windows lab deal mean they are better?

5. Daemon785

Daemon785 Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond HD 5870
    im not getting a downclock problem wiht ati tool. i use 6.5 offical, and also used the beta ones. no probs here.

6. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    I have 1.0.5.880. Perhaps overclocking hasn't been re-enabled yet?

7. Well we dont have the same vid card either so I think that might have something to do with it.

8. No. I am reffering to ATI TOOL. Not ATI TRAY TOOLS. There is indeed a problem with ATI TOOL and 6.5 drivers when a video file is played, it downclocks your overclock speeds and it only seems to be happening to us x1900xt owners so far.

9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Just installed them. After several errors, everything went ok (my windows is starting to show it's age and it hasn't even been that long since the last format :frown:) I just checked... and AAA is grayed out in my 9600... maybe I should try doing a clean driver install for these. Anyone tried the AAA on a 9x00 card?

10. You should really always do a clean driver install.

11. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Well... I'm kind'a picky with drivers since they don't seem to like my computer in general. I was able to uninstall easily the drivers and clean all the rubbish but... I just managed to install them again after 9 reboots, some in safe mode. I finally installed them I don't know how. Most of the times it just says that it doesn't find my video card and erases everything :-( My 9600 isn't the normal one, it's a PowerColor 9600 EZ. Maybe it's that, or maybe it's nVidia kicking my ATi the wrong way, I've recently had problems with my nForce drivers too, they just disappeared one day, that's just not right. Why would some drivers dissapear? I was playing Wolfenstein ET and suddently the screen went black but the computer stayed on. No game play sound. I rebooted and everything was f*cked up. It took me ages to make the mobo drivers to work again. Maybe I should seriously consider formating my hard disk :p

12. I would say a format is in order.

13. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    after a fair bit of testing 6.5 are the best ati drivers i have used to date bar none! even with the ccc

14. PMental

PMental Member

GPU:
    X1600 Pro 512Mb AGP @695/477
    For all users with OC problems in ATI Tool... leave ATI Tool and use RivaTuner instead, I've had much better results with overclocking in RivaTuner, now I only use ATI Tool to heat the card up after clocking. When clocking my X1600 I came to the conclusion that artifact scanning is effective for seeing how hot the card will get, not much more, artifacts are better spotted visually in 3dMark tests or games.

Oh, I installed 6.5 yesterday as well, no problems keeping my overclock ;)

15. hanibal2000

hanibal2000 New Member

GPU:
    sapphire x800 pro (525/585)
    Also no probs for my x800 pro with 6.5.
    Both ati tool and ati tray work fine :)

16. Again this seems to only be a problem regarding X1900XT's so you are lucky. There is a thread about this on Overclockers.com

17. sinkor

sinkor Active Member

GPU:
    X800 PRO MSI
    Installed the 6.5 and realised there is a drop in the fps with the game that I am playing.(GRAW) So I reverted to ATI extreme 1.6.3 and the difference is about 10 fps, more stable and less stuttering.

I must conceed that the guy who produced Extreme ATI mode driver did a wonderful job!!! but I heard he has stopped making mod ATI drivers.

18. Update:

I decided to give it another try, I did a clean install with the 6.5's just like I would do with the 6.3's. I disabled the ATI HOTKEY POLLER and ATI SMART services and then I rebooted and did my overclocking in ATI TOOL as usuall. I fired up Condemned and watched the opening sequence which is a VIDEO file, after playing to the game I could tell that it was even downclocked. I hit alt tab and looked at ATI TOOL and my suspecions were confirmed again! DOWNCLOCKED! EVERYTHING IS FINE UNTIL A MPG OR AVI FILE PLAYS AND THEN IT DOWNCLOCKS! DAMNIT THIS IS PISSING ME OFF. BACK TO MOTHER %#%^#%ING 6.3'S AGAIN.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    so your ALT+TABBING out of the game, and checking your clocks, and they have gone down, if im reading that right then thats normal, as if you go back to your desktop your card will return to its 2D speeds. :)

20. No, that is only supposed to happen if you dont disable the 2d-3d ATI services that are responsible for the switch. I have those disabled and with the 6.3's I was able to keep my overclocks, not so with the 6.5s however:rolleyes:

As soon as an MPG or AVI file play its game over for your overclock with these drivers.