ATi Catalyst 10.7's - Will Not Be Released Today

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Pointing out that the numbers for 5870 aren't what they should be :3eyes: so expect future driver fix

2. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    They can't-... anyway before release... when a games company do a contract with Nvidia for TWMP, PhysX or whatever, the game company have absolute no right to work with other company till the game is out or send samples to them. Do you really think Nvidia will put 500K dollars for a game and then see them optimise the game for other companies ? It look like some really think games industry is same as it was 15 years ago lol.

Ofc for SC2.. things can be different, i don't even know if SC2 is TWMP... anyway we are still speaking about a games who is not released yet...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Also overlooking the fact that, thats the reason why ATi's drivers are a buggy mess, and everyone slates them every month, as they don't have enough time to work on them, they have to rush them all the time, as don't forget, they also have to send them to ms for certification, and wait for them to come back.

Nvidia have the best way (and the way ATi should do it :(), as with them only doing about 2-3 WHQL's a year, they don't have to rush them, so they are always quality drivers when released, and you never see them getting slated, as their buggy messed drivers are their betas, which everyone knows are unfinished, and you use them at your own risk, so would be buggy.

4. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Agree, ATI should release lots more beta's and only have a few WHQL's a year. Really no need to have a WHQL driver every month.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I totally agree with this. I even said the same thing to ATI through their Catalyst Feedback Form a month or so back; that they should drop the whole monthly driver thing in favour of releasing less regular, better quality drivers. ATI could then use the separate Application Profiles to add support for games as they're needed. Per-game profiles are also desperately needed as that's something NVIDIA have been doing for half a decade now and ATI *STILL* haven't latched on to it!!!

6. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    AFAIK, their schedule includes:
    1) Internal builds - weekly
    2) Builds sent to business partners - every 2 weeks
    3) WHQL public release - monthly

Development is separated across an even number of associated teams. Obviously, they can't "concentrate on better quality instead of releasing drivers so often" due to their business model. So, in fact, the only issue here is what goes public and what doesn't. Let's go blame MSI, Sapphire and others not to make all these builds public every two weeks.

7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    "Haha, why does 20 more FPS matter? LOL"~ Lot of people in thread.

It matters because if someone has to pick between saving about 250 dollars, and getting better performance, they don't want to look at benches and look to see that something that much cheaper is that much better. Guess which they will purchase.

8. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    One game can't count.

9. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I like monthly release but they need more investment.
    I don't think can improve all situations with the only application profile.

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    One game out of how many? Flawed logic?

11. marthand

marthand Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850+Nvidia 8800GTS
    ATI never meets the driver team of NVDIA ,Fuucckk'n ATI

12. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    I hope ati turns a lot of these frowns upside down with the next release..possibly monday someone said?

13. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    [​IMG]

Driver is released when it is released. Go and use the open source driver under linux for a modern card then come back and tell me the proprietary driver is crap.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    My point was more like why doesnt Ati pay the 500k dollars ? :3eyes:

15. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    Gee, I wonder sometimes if people here even use their graphics card(s) for gaming or just update/bench all the time. Oh and hit the forums every 5 minutes to see if they were released. Its funny though, lots of people sit with a driver that works and never want to update, some people fiend for their monthly update, and some just update monthly and have no idea why. I've watched the whole driver thing spiral out of control in recent years. Hehe, I wonder how nVidia users are about their releases. I still hold the theory that if you don't tell anyone, no one expects, therefor people kind of just stumble on them. When you know they are coming before the end of the month or follow a pattern, people start anticipating waaaay too early, then it creates things like this.

Also, ATI is a business just like any, and with the big hit they took when AMD took over and shuffled things up, well we all knew it was going to take years for things to work out, smooth the wrinkles out and really bring the $$$ in and see what they do with it. AMD more than likely is keeping the driver team the same as always so they can keep pumping out products by dumping tons of money into research and development early on, then they can produce and catch up to nVidia in the market and products. Most notable for 2009 was the DX11 cards coming out first. Granted you can say "holy crap they weren't ready!" but the fact is, ATI was first, it brought them attention and they had months of selling DX11 cards before nVidia even started in. During those months the driver was polished off a bit, profiles came out, ect ect. Performance wise, we've seen the 5xxx series come quite a way from when they were released. Now that AMD/ATI has a working platform, they can work on the "inside" so-to-speak, the behind the scenes stuff and now have more money and a good product line out so in 2010 they can really work on whats needed most. So by the end of 2010, when the 6xxx series is being readied, you can expect them to be well ahead of where they were here with the 5xxx in terms of whats offered beyond the hardware.

I think the best of ATI/AMD will be end of 2010 if the world holds itself together for that long. All I know is, from what I can see AMD/ATI doing they are keeping themselves open for growth, but doing it the right and smart way. Just look at how many millions of 5xxx cards have now sold. We've had these issues with nVidia with the Geforce 3/4 series, and the FX series cards, there were plenty of issues but they did what AMD is doing now and had some killer products but I think they expanded too fast and hit the roof hard, with no where to go. Now they have to reinvent themselves while ATI starts to do what nVidia just finished doing. I know its hard to follow but from a business and market standpoint, these companies look years ahead, what they are doing now was planned long ago and probably we'll see the companies do the same thing over again 5-10 years from now. Its a cycle.

16. hunuok

hunuok Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 Tri SLI
    Scrap monthly driver releases. Use the time to get things right (I didn't say perfect).

These monthly driver releases have users falling over themselves every month hoping for fixes (primarily) and performance gains.

Playing with the masses.....:puke2:

17. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    It's basically the same with the difference being that nVidia used to release new alphas, betas and test releases almost every week, sometimes even several times a week. They weren't more stable or fixed more stuff, they just came more often and in smaller increments. Seems people that haven't used nVidia hardware in a while keep forgetting about that.

18. rone

rone Member Guru

Me want Ati Catalyst 10.7 yesterday !!!

19. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
  20. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Meh.. nothing new for 4 series in a long time, anyway. Doubt 10.7 will bring anything else than SC2:WoL improvements for 5 series and that VLC video acceleration... but who uses VLC anyway?