Are we ever going to get a new NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Jul 22, 2018.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah it's very strange they haven't updated after all this time. AMD have gone through a few different versions, even though not great, they're much better than the old CCC imo, appearance and feature wise. If they made it scale better with high resolutions and improved the "laggy" feel it has when applying settings, etc, I think that would please most people. I know there's an alternative but that's not really an excuse for such a massive company. Imagine how they can make nice presentation about how things just work... It would be great!

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The 'lag' when you change settings is because of the access required to write to to system/file while it is active. I agree the the universal complaint I see is how poorly some elements scale at high screen resolutions. As a work around to that issue, if you go to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client right click on the CPL exe and set the scaling to "System Enhanced".

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No such directory there for me but I'm running the DCH driver so that could be it. I found "nvCplUI.exe" in "WindowsApps", I changed the scaling for this but it made no difference.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I question the lag issue though.
    If it's editing an important system file, why can't NVCP simply queue the changes you made. This way visually changes are made instantly, but actually they take however much time is required in the background.
    Also, even when you're not applying anything, simply opening "Manage 3D settings" lags, then moving to "Program Settings" gets another lag.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its synced io because it accesses the registry and the nvidia db binaries.

async io is dangerous and can easily corrupt data even in the best of cases, i'd like to see them reimplement it with sqlite+ wal journaling.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why can't we just visually pretend the settings applied though? Is what I'm asking simply impossible?

7. evgenim

evgenim Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3070 OC
    2022 year... Nvidia soon launches new RTX4000 videocards, drivers still have Windows XP design.....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Yeah its true, we have 2022, this needs a revamp.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's fine - it does its job just as intended.

And really, how much time do you spend in the control panel ?

The Goose likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It can be that they lost source code of their Control Panel, and do not want to write new one.

lionhad and LocoDiceGR like this.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Nvinspector, awhile ago, separated into two apps. It detached "Nvidia profile inspector" into a separate app that can be found inside the directory.

While it doesn't contain all the scaling and preview options etc... It contains everything you want minus these "set it and forget it" settings.

Oh its 10x faster than any control panel from either vendor too.

12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    relatively small

but it could be improved visually.not that it really matters from a practical standpoint.

13. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    This is not from the XP era... It's from Windows 95/98/2000 era.

And it's just fine, because IT WORKS... :)

No need to bloat drivers even more.

Xtreme512 and Dragam1337 like this.
  14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I always liked Nvidia's nice, basic control panel.

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    its perfect, so to speak, unless you're a tweaker.
    im big fan of it.

Cave Waverider and sapo_joe like this.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I go back and forth on this with my computer enthusiast buddies. One on hand, Nvidia is always seen as the "high class product for high class people, where everything has the RTX sheen" and AMD gets the "only for redheaded step children and poor people" treatment. As far as the GPU control panels go, AMD has made massive strides in the last 5-10 years while Nvidia has the same one from who knows how long ago.

Then we shift the debate to how well the features and toggles contained within actually function, not how things look on the surface. Neither control panel is super friendly to computer newbies, but you really need to know more technical stuff to use the Nvidia options. They could both use work in different areas for sure.

In the end, no matter how powerful and useful it may be, I can't help but LOL at the NVCP given the billions of dollars the company makes. :p

lionhad and evgenim like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nah.

the nvcp is in the leak

it needs a dark mode and dpi awareness, but otherwise its fine.

Performance issues require microsoft to fix Syncapi being slow as crap in windows 10 (affects many aspects of 10s performance)

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Winodws XP/7/10 worked to..but they moved on. :)

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Are you telling me that MS uses 3rd party API in Windows, and NV uses it in its Control Panel?

PS
    These are all dependencies of NVCP exe-file:
    Screenshot (23).png

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    At least Nvidia isn't planning to expand to car manufacturing, unlike Apple is, according to the persistent rumours. People might find a dashboard from the 90's a little bit off-putting already in 2020's.

I've had this Radeon 390 for such a terribly long time that I had already forgotten the Nvidia control panel. It would have been a shock to go back to it if I had managed to buy an RTX 3060 Ti before the mining craze.