AMD VCE (Media Framework) support for OBS Studio

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fish, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    Something I would like to see in the future is a wiki explaining what every setting does, and under which circumstances they work best. So that newcomers like me can take the time to read it and learn what they do.

Edit: Also, here's an issue I've had with OBS Studio in general: I can't get Game Capture to work. I get a black screen with every game. I only get to record games by using Windowed Fullscreen and Display Capture.
    If anyone knows how to remedy to this, I'd be most grateful.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    Thanks! I definitely will keep this going until AMD sends me a Cease & Desist (please don't).

Setting B-Frames to 0 doesn't disable them, just makes them never be referenced. There's an extra field to disable B-Frames. Also you log file clearly says that whatever VCE tried to do failed - that's why you should always use 64-bit. Listen to the guy who had to debug this issue for ~20 hours.

Something like this? github.com/Xaymar/OBS-AMD-Media-Framework/wiki/Configuration
    I also have a simpler encoder interface planned soon-ish, see github.com/Xaymar/OBS-AMD-Media-Framework/issues/8

3. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    So keeping 0 B-frames for references at 1080p is a must for VCE 2.0. Your statement about 32-bit dont say anything to me, who say i'm using 32 bit version? Offcourse i'm using 64-bit client and all problems related are with that version.

Yet the memory leak which guy already posted here and i do in OBS topic is only happening when trying 1080@60fps, at 1080@30fps memory keeps fine.

4. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    My bad, I mistook you for a person who was named similar. Anyway, if you're using the 64-bit version and have troubles with B-Frames (which shouldn't happen, R9 390 is the same generation and works just fine) just set the field "B-Picture Reference" to Disable.

5. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    If it's updated in the future (by you or the community) then yes, that would be great. I don't really mind having a complicated interface if there's a way to find the information needed.

Basically, a page where we can learn what's the difference between the different Profile Level, what Enforce HRD means, the uses of the different QP, etc.

At the moment figuring this out requires searching each one of them on google and hoping that the results are accurate, so having one wiki page with all of them (for this specific plugin) would be great. But it's not a priority, just something that would be nice to have in the future.

I'll bookmark the page you linked for the future.

6. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  7. fish

fish Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT
    Updated OP, if want a different message, PM me and I will change it asap. Thanks again for your great work here!

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    This needs to be sticky!!!

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  10. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    The simple encoder hasn't yet made it into the compiled version, it'll be there on full release. For now I have some bugs to fix.

Edit: If you are having trouble and updated to 16.7.3, you must do a driver wipe! Go the usual DDU and reinstall route otherwise you might end up with insanely low fps.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016

11. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    1.2.0pre3 - The Remaking (AMD Media Framework, OBS Studio Plugin)

Download here: https://github.com/Xaymar/OBS-AMD-Media-Framework/releases/tag/1.2.0pre3

12. ciceros

ciceros New Member

GPU:
    Colorful GTX 1070
    keep up the good work!

13. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    1.2.0pre4 - The Remaking

1.2.0pre4 is out, adds threading and frame queues again:
    Download: https://github.com/Xaymar/OBS-AMD-Media-Framework/releases/tag/1.2.0pre4

14. fish

fish Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT
    Mine stops at "stopping recording" message after attempting a recording, any ideas?

Cheers

15. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    1.2.0rc1 is out, get it now here: https://github.com/Xaymar/OBS-AMD-Media-Framework/releases/tag/1.2.0rc1

---------

Are you using the incomplete Simple Encoder or the Advanced one? The Simple one is still incomplete. If it happens with the Advanced Encoder, upload the last log file you used to record/stream.

Edit: 1.2.0rc1 has a completed Simple Encoder

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016

16. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
  17. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    Am aware, already downloading it and gonna toy around. Need to familiarize myself with it first.

18. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
  19. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Dual RX 6650XT
    Can someone help me here. I have problem with OBS Studio. Anyway, just by starting OBS, some games have lower FPS (Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst is one of them). After I run OBS, and then run Naruto, game is just working bad, and I haven't even started recording. When I close OBS, it works just fine, 30 FPS all the time (game is locked to 30). It happened on some other games, but can't remember which ones. My PC sucks, I know, but this seems to be something else. Sorry I went off-topic, I know this is about VCE support (I use 1.2.0rc1).

20. Xaymar

Xaymar Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 2GB GDDR5
    Well, for starters it'll work better with current drivers and not randomly start failing for no reason at all.