AMD Starts Sampling 4-core RYZEN processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That would be cool but I wouldn't bank on it. AMD seems to have moved onto laser cutting instead of firmware-based core locking.

Both terms, and "x64" are synonymous. Personally, I don't like the term "x64" since it is a bit misleading. The "x" in x86 is an abbreviation.

2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    yeah i never heard of the fx getting modules unlocked ...still i can dream of it ! hehe i remember an friend of mine buying 5x phenom 2 550 the 2 core and trying to unlock em the 5th one was gold in all 4 cores he was reselling the non 4 core ones with 5 euros loss so at the end he got his 4 core way way cheaper and my brother still rocking my old phenom 2 720 4th core unlocked

on the other hand it might be a reason for someone to buy say the zen instead of the i5 if you add the ability to unlock let's assume they are with in +-5% performance trading blows on programs at the same price ... personally i would go with the cpu that can potentially be unlocked and try my luck why not ? the situations that someone has the money for the higher models and going for the unlocks are not that many ... so i kind of always though amd was doing firmware locks as part of to make her products more appealing ((and i repeat i have no info i am not claiming anything and the assumption above have a lot of if's so ....pretty much confirmed :banana:))

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    But he has both the exclusive info and hair. :D

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    heheh:D

Anyway, well one early early Asian chart leak said it will have

4core 8 thread
    6core 12 thread

and 2
    8 core 16threads variants << this part has been confirmed by AMD

now 4core no HT too,

I think we will see them all..

What's interesting was those price predictions,

150$ for 4 core HT
    250$ for 6core HT

^
    if this is true, Intel will have some serious trouble :p

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Hope those prices hold up.

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This looks pretty good actually, I am just hoping flagship is a little cheeper.No offence or anything but I cannot see ANYONE buying a Amd cpu for $500 $350-400 max in my opinion.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Some other leak once said that top tier "black edition" would be 450$ not 500, normal still 350$ though. I think in one AMD slide..

8. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    If that CPU is on par with a $1,000 Intel chip (which according to AMD it is) then it is priced fine.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't think it's fine that anyone can ask that much money from a CPU. it's crazy how Intel prices their 8 cores compared to their 6 core CPUs. The price gets doubled. They are milking like crazy.

The way I see it AM4 platform is pretty smart and so is Zen's design. 8 core chip could very well be around 400 €. If it is indeed around 400 € they will sell them like crazy.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    x86-64/x86_64/x64 are just generic descriptive names, AMDs marketing name is AMD64 and Intel uses EM64T historically, and Intel 64 more recently.

Various of these names are used by other software/hardware vendors to describe these platforms, most commonly from the first block, but sometimes also AMD64 to give them credit for creating the specification.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    (almost) no one will buy an amd that performs as intel, and costs the same.
    Then they'll just go with intel, and dont have to worry about "hickups" in the first few month, and most might not have to switch board/cooler.

The 150/250/350/500 bracket makes more sense (with amds past cpu prices).

Im willing to spend ~300-350 on my next 6/12 cpu, but will rather have a 250$ amd (if its close in performance).

12. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I know but Guys Amd has not had a good Cpu in years, They cannot just come into the market demanding respect and sell at $500 dollars per chip- That takes time. I am not saying nobody will buy it ( they will ) but they need something very solid in the $150-$250 range that can outperform intel and cost less doing it.

I guess we will see what happens come launch date. I am expecting 8/16 Zen at $ 300 dollars.

13. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Sorry but only 2 or 4 sata ports, really?

14. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    yeah but as motherboards advance in couple months after launch better boards will come out with all the bells and whistles. Looks great hoping its a homerun for amd. I am not impressed with intel boards myself. This is my second one in 6 months. First was unstable this one seems ok for now. Plus most highend rigs dont run more then 2-3 harddrives most of them time anyways.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This topic has been gone over multiple times.

it's 4 or 6, not 2 or 4, read the entire thing.

And if you think that 6 is not that much, you should probably look at all the different chipsets out there, as there is a very, VERY small number of chipsets with more the 6, which means that 99% of the time if you see a motherboard with more then 6, it has a 3rd party chipset doing it.

16. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    :3eyes:

i saw motherboards with 10 ports and 2 M.2 :pc1::infinity:

17. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    For as long as I can remember (back to the P4 days) Intel has priced their highest end consumer chips around $1,000. You may not like it, but it is nothing new. AMD rarely prices consumer chips that high and has always undercut Intel on the high end.

If that pic is correct AMD will have an 8c/16t chip at $350 which most people in that market will buy and OC it. The other chip will be for enthusiasts that really want the best binned chip they can get. Since all these CPUs are unlocked I really don't see the pricing issue at all.

I am hoping for some low wattage APU variants so I can finally upgrade my HTPC and get something that will do 4K video without trouble.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Incorrect. They've done exactly what intel has done in the past.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    But those other ports are probably controlled by a 3rd party chipset, or X99. Z270 and Z170 only support a max of 6 SATA3 ports.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...sets/laptop-desktop-performance-chipsets.html

https://ark.intel.com/products/98089/Intel-Z270-Chipset

https://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-Z170-Chipset

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x99-chipset.html

20. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    nothing against you personally almond :D but im quoting this so you can eat your hat in a month when the MSRP comes out