AMD RDNA2 GPUS also will support AV1 Decode Hardware-Acceleration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness likes this.
  2. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Great news! Can't wait to see RDNA2 on APUs.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That awkward moment where Linux gains a GPU feature before Windows.

anticupidon likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What do you mean?

5. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Not only that. Anyone using AMD with opensource MESA 20.3 or better drivers on Linux gets a good +20% more fps on V64 and 5700XT on Vulkan native games, especially on CPU heavy ones. Like X4 Foundations, which is using up to 12 cores on a mature play through (80+ hours)

While FPS is pretty much the same between Linux Steam Play of Windows exclusive games. Windows can burn to hell from now on.

Now if someone uses Nvidia, I feel sorry for you been forced to use proprietary spyware even on Linux.

schmidtbag and anticupidon like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i feel sorry for your paranoid mind.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    For almost the entirety of Linux's existence, GPU drivers were slower (usually because of lacking application profiles and other micro-optimizations) or took much longer to gain [relatively] new features. Since RDNA, AMD seems to have turned that around. RDNA became more stable before Windows, and, it sometimes even outperforms the 2080. AV1 support for RDNA2 was already finalized a month ago. I don't think there has ever been a time where Linux gained a hardware-accelerated feature for a gaming product before Windows, especially from open-source drivers.

Yeah, I don't really agree with the spyware part. As a user, I generally don't really care that much if something is closed source, but, Nvidia has been slowing things down and are no longer the obvious choice that they were 4 years ago.

Fediuld likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But RDNA2 isn't out yet? And Windows supported AV1 decode since build 1909, which came out last year. 3080's have AV1 decode for example - it works right now. Idk, I guess I read your post as if Microsoft was holding it back.

That being said I do agree that AMD's driver support on Linux has been rather outstanding. It's kind of weird how much better their driver team is there then on Windows.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It doesn't have to be out yet for the software to exist. The devs have access to the hardware and it's in their interest to get the support out the door before the product, so by the the time the latest kernel is released, people will have access to it. If you're not aware, Linux drivers are built at the kernel level (it's a monolithic kernel) so if your kernel doesn't have the drivers, you either need to build them yourself or get a newer kernel that does. There are userland-level drivers, but they don't work without the kernel drivers.

Having decode support is one thing, having hardware-accelerated decode is a whole other thing. There are multiple ways to decode a media file. Some are more efficient than others, some depend on specific hardware. I get the impression hardware-specific decoders are difficult to write, seeing as they're relatively uncommon, even if the hardware has dedicated transistors for it.

I think how that AMD has full OpenGL 4.6 support and nearly all Vulkan extensions, they can devote a lot more time to focusing on other things like improving performance and getting stuff like AV1 support out before the product release date. They can't take all the credit though - part of what's great of having open-source drivers is how others can contribute. I'm sure it'd be a surprise to many people in these forums that Valve makes contributions to AMD's Linux drivers, and these are no minor contributions either. Also, AMD was able to mooch off some of the work Intel did for their drivers (and vise versa).

HandR likes this.
  10. McFly121

McFly121 Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 4gb
    Every GPU today with shader technology and full DX support can in theory do hardware or hybrid-hardware Encode or Decode H.256 or AV-1 or anything else.Just the companys like Nvidia or Amd must create new drivers but they don't because there no money there.The goal is selling new cards.In the past like 13 years ago when Shader-processing technology started at AMD they create HD 2900 GPU with no UVD for video acceleration they use Shader-processing.Anything is possible with Multi-threading chips.

11. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    do this card support HDR 10+
    ?