AMD Radeon VII 3DMark results Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD is yet to release the up and coming Radeon VII, the first benchmarks, however, have been spotted and posted. An in Fire Strike the card scores approximately equal to the GeForce RTX 2080 from Nvi...

AMD Radeon VII 3DMark results Surface

2. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Did u get your's yet to play with it, sir?

yasamoka, Havel and Undying like this.
  3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    :)

yasamoka, mohiuddin, OnnA and 10 others like this.
  4. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I am going to take that as a yes! Looking forward to the review Hilbert!

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    These things will only improve with time.

I believe AMD improves GPUs over time much more than Nvidia does.

I honestly think this cards performance will increase over time. Not to 2080ti levels but to in between the 2080 an ti somewhere.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-nvidia-driver-updates-performance-tested,5707.html

Both companies improve their drivers, both companies beat out eachother in different scenarios, they are effectively equal in their improvements unless you're specifically looking at 1 game, and then it'll depend on which game it is to determine who is "better" at improving performance through drivers

In fact, on average, nvidia performance via driver updates is 4.3% improvement, vs AMDs 2.3% average, which would state that technically, nvidia is better, unlike your statement says. But realistically, it all depends on the game, and a 2.3% or 4.3% is not enough to worry about in the first place. The places that either companies get the biggest improvements from are games where a specific companies card didn't work well in due to a bug or bugs from the beginning, such as rise of the tomb raider for AMD, which saw a pretty big improvement over initial drivers, but this is kinda a double edge sword, as yes, it saw big improvements, but it only saw big improvements due to the fact that there was a bug causing lower then expected performance on the initial driver....this is less "optimization" and more "we had issues in the beginning, now we don't".

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  7. N7JFG

N7JFG Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070 wat
    If this falls between a 2080 and the 2080 TI in terms of gaming performance at 100$ less than the 2080, this is a definite buy.

8. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    keep dreaming

[​IMG]

9. residentour

residentour Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Please don't forget to make a "undervolt" test on this card. All AMD cards have great potential even with identical freqs but at much lower voltages. My Vega 64 gives better scores than default with 130W lower power consumption.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    RTX 2080 and Radeon VII will be the same price, and will likely trade blows between eachother.

The main difference will be, for the same price, you won't get ray tracing capabilities.

Even IF you don't care for ray tracing, it just doesn't make sense to get less, for the same price.

But to each their own, this card will be good for any software that can utilize near the 16GB of ram.

11. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    To be honest that FS score is few hundred higher than my Vega64 OC score and also my TimeSpy score is similar. Few hundred points less.
    FS:
    Graphics Score: 27 411
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17909241

FS Ultra:
    Graphics Score 6 616
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18084680

TimeSpy:
    Graphics Score 8 510
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5853405

I am running now on custom water, but previuosly I had aircooled Morpheus II cooler and with that the scores were maybe 100-200 points lower.
    So Vega 7 is not that impressive.
    But those scores are like bare minimum ofcourse. Overclocking Vega 7 will result at least +3000-3500 points on those leaked numbers.

OnnA likes this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Kinda underwhelmed by this, late to the party yet again AMD.

13. N7JFG

N7JFG Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070 wat
    Up here you get 2080s at the FE price (799USD) not the 699USD variant,(cept for a few dual fan outliers). Shipping from the US will get you dinged for customs even if you save on taxes. So im definitely hoping this makes a bit of a difference. As for ray tracing and dlss....i have yet to see it being a worthy option.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Late, yes. But how can you be underwhelmed by a product that nobody expected, is not a flagship, and is basically made of spare binned parts? The fact it competes with a 2080 at all when Navi is the arch we're supposed to be interested in makes this relatively "whelming".

Maddness, carnivore and Fox2232 like this.
  15. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Maybe see a couple Pro-sumer tests?

Elder III likes this.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure how you define this as not a flagship? It'll be AMDs best performing, most expensive card.....it is their flagship, even if it doesn't match nvidias highest end in performance or cost....

Personally, i fully understand not being excited about this launch, it's a launch that provides a performance you could have gotten 1.5 years ago, at the price you could have bought it 1.5 years ago. Sure, same can be said about the 2080, but at least the 2080 doesn't JUST do the same performance for the same price, regardless of anyones feelings on that subject, it's fact.

Now, if the Radeon VII cost $499 or $549, i'd be much more interested, and i think most people conveying their lack of enthusiasm would also be much more interested in it. Heck, even if it was $599, it'd be a bit more interesting. But at $699, the only people i feel should be interested in this GPU, are people who are interested in HBM memory becoming the "norm"(which i am), interested in 16GB of memory for applications that can use it or people who are die-hard AMD fans that would never touch an nvidia product.

It really just feels like a stop-gap that should have never happened, at least at this price, as i can't see why even a die-hard AMD fan who would never buy an nvidia card would buy this card knowing it's not Navi, knowing what they have been waiting for, for years, they are still waiting for.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, I guess, but the 2080 has been out for months and offers similar performance at similar price so you have to see my point. Not to mention, I have a Gsync monitor so for me VEGA VII was a non option anyway, you have to see why I'm not excited for this haha.

The RTX cards actually have some new tech, be it raytracing or DLSS. I know raytracing is a long way from being optimised and a finished product, but DLSS looks nice.

But even without those advancements, they've been offering the same performance for the same price for months so I really don't see why I should be "whelmed" because it's not like AMD are pushing Nvidia to react. Hopefully Navi will do that.

Also, and let's not forget this, Nvidia got hammered for how overpriced the RTX cars are, somehow it seems that AMD can release a similar card and nobody seems to care :)

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On compute side, Radeon 7 is rather 2080Ti worthy. That's why there is better reception.
    But let's be honest. Unless AMD made some of those DoA features Vega64 was announced with working, it will not be gaming card.

In a away, you have card which in normal gaming performs around same or bit better than Radeon 7. You can trade a lot of fps for bit better reflections. And Radeon 7 owners can use additional compute. (Unlikely for gaming, but till AMD says otherwise, they are working on DX-R.)
    Each has something extra above other.

Maddness likes this.
  19. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Odd results IMO.

Here is my Vega 64 Liquid and 2700X both in a maxed out OC state. I literally cant OC them any further. Im 800 points from a Vega VII???

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/32925001?

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't recall AMD ever claiming it was their flagship; as far as I'm concerned, Vega64 still takes that rank.
    Regardless, it won't be the flagship. It's more like an interim flagship if anything.
    I agree. The problem is the excessive HBM, which cranks up the price. However, since these are binned workstation GPUs, if the memory exists on the chip and seems to be functioning fine, it would be a waste to just disable it.
    Hence me saying it isn't the flagship...

In an apples to apples comparison, yes, I would agree with you.
    As for the gsync thing, wouldn't that make every AMD GPU less interesting to you?
    Although I look forward to the future of accelerated raytracing (not specifically RTX), a technology is not of any interest if it doesn't accomplish its goal well despite the increased premium. I think Nvidia has a real thing going with the RT cores but the current generation GPUs are definitely underwhelming in regards to raytracing.
    DLSS is nice though.
    Uh... plenty of people (gamers, specifically) care. Just read above. Most people are not going to give AMD a pass for this GPU's price.