AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.5.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2020.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    It's Similar with Tess at Default (Tess x8 gives ~200pts.)
    New drivers + Win 2004 gives us even more uplift.
    IPC for Vega has risen again :p in 2 years we get ~1500-2000pts.

2. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Maybe IPC has been risen, but at the cost of stability (Black Screens still there since 2020 branch).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  3. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I have to report, that I got Blackscreens on 20.5.1 (beta) Drivers. And I got them often during Battlefield V. I haven't had that for a long time.

4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Driver is stable enough, for all. You can always choose to not update drivers or windows 10 os version and stay on the last well known combo.

Always be happy for code optimizations made by engineers or devs and stop overclocking your system if you encounter issues, errors or bugs.

OnnA likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    BFV & BF1 need special treatment ;)
    Try to open Overlay when in game and set up Your OC for BF in Profile.

Playing BFV every day NP at all.

6. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Maybe...

I use "Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 for Microsoft® DirectX on WSL [27.20.2001.5002]" at the Moment and so far my problems are gone. They have other issues, but I haven't had another Blackscreen so far. So I am happy for now.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a interesting little driver, AMD made a slight branch jump and integrated a number of fixes as what seems like a intermediate driver until 20.6.1 thus some extra fixes making it in but eh it's not bad although if 20.5.1 is installed the OS can get a bit "WTF?!" and decide these are older because it's well it's Windows. :p

Higher version number and newer date but nope you have to force it through the device manager if the installer tells you some generic error code suggesting Windows Update rolled it back which if that's enabled it very well could otherwise it's just that the OS decided that nope you can't do that. :D

EDIT: Plus a little miss initially with the release notes so I was expecting 20.5.1 plus WSL for Linux and that's it instead it's a more significant update with a newer driver version even if it's nothing massive (Well it's just numbers so it could be some fun stuff code wise for all I know.), newer Vulkan runtime even if that's not super critical and some other stuff.
    (Like that extra crash report utility added to these.)

Haven't gotten too much into it yet, once the heat is down to a bit more tolerable I can test if it scales better without DXVK and maybe see about some problematic titles that get black screen or crash happy but that has improved although there are still remaining issues but if AMD can start sorting those out too at least things will be back in shape for when RDNA2 / Navi20 is launched instead of having all that adding to the existing unresolved and known or unlisted but community tested and confirmed issues.

8. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So you are telling me that it is completely fine to list full support of Vega and Radeon VII cards on 2020 drivers branch even though they are unstable as hell?
    To stay on the 19.12.1 (2019 branch) of drivers, which is perfectly stable LAST good driver means lack of new features, fixes and optimisations for new games.

Oh and btw... my system is perfectly stable if you were wondering.... including top of the tier hardware and countless hours of stability tests including torture testing my 128GB of RAM with TM5 and other Mem-testing tools.
    So please just STOP this useless defense against the driver mess coming from AMD (how else could you describe it when they basically break features that worked for months, re-introduce bugs etc.). I am glad that some of the users don't have problems but you will find many of "us" here still facing stability problems on hardware that is 2 or more years old and should be _perfectly_ known to AMD to prevent such a mess.

And it doesn't sound good if you hear such comments from the insider reporting that RDNA2 "is a mess to work with" --- heard that in a report about RDNA2 from Moore's Law is Dead -- doesn't sound too reassuring either right?

9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    So let me ask you this just to be sure --- you had Black screens during idle / video playback with the 2020 driver branch, none with the 2019 and then you have installed the latest 2020 WSL one and the black screens have been fixed ?
    Want to make sure before I will try them myself. Thanks for your feedback!

10. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hallo PrEzi (Gruß!)

No, I've really seldom encountered the Problems you had until 20.5.1 (beta). This where the first drivers that gave me a noticable amount of Blackscreens in BFV and on Bootup. I have had Blackscreens before. But only with certain Drivers and they where very very rare! And I had 0 Blackscreens on 20.3.x and 20.4.x.

But I had a noticable amount of Blackscreens on 20.5.1 (beta) so I had to decide if I should go back to 20.4.x or try the new 27.20.2001.5002. So I tried the newer ones. And I am quite happy now. I would say they are as stable as 20.4.x so far.

PrEzi likes this.

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Ah ok.... Danke dir !
    So there are my hopes tarnished a little bit - that it might be a slightly different branch of drivers where the bug was not introduced... (even though they still mention it in the known issues) Anyway thanks for answering my question FR4GGL3 :)
    I will wait for the 20.6.1 test it and if it still will has the same issues I might want to try the WSL one... or remain with my power-eating, temp producting workaround (setting P1 as the minimum power level and at 852/810 MHz mV).

...But....
    How can one (that has been with AMD / ATI since forever) trust, that there won't be any breaking bugs in the next iteration of HW or SW (RDNA2/Drivers) to keep me from going to the devilish green side.... I mean I am literally considering this, even though I have my quite good C49RG90 Monitor and I am well aware that I won't be able to use all of its features (Variable rate with HDR together, basically Freesync 2 HDR) once I would do this....
    ...This is really frustrating...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Fire Strike ultra result.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/47973972? :cool:

OnnA likes this.
  13. qpens8

qpens8 Member

GPU:
    8700gt 512
    Warzone Is still giving me black screens on my Rad VII. I did try 20.5.1 and Adrenalin 2020 for Microsoft® DirectX WSL. Dropping FPS to 60 and Freesync off didn't help.

14. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    Hi guys, for me drivers 27.20.2001.5002. in my RX580 4GB Nitro+
    playing Tetris Effect causes random Black Screen :(

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah i was playing solitaire today and the same black screen.

DanielRX likes this.

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I was playing an old game, Divinity 2, which is usually super stable (can run the game for several days straight) has been crashing out as of late. It likes to crash when transitioning between maps. Managed to get it stable again by disabling FSO.

Win10 2004 + 20.5.1

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Everyone with black screen or other issues, is there any possibility you have Freesync capable monitor? Did you ever try using other monitor?

18. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Well.... Yeah I have freesync monitors and noup, have not tried going back to "normal" ever again. Would be like going back in time.
    It might help cause "normal" doesn't necessarily has high refresh rates so it doesn't stress so much the idle states... but this doesn't mean FS is the culprit. Far from it I would say.

On the other hand --- had Freesync since over 2+ years already (VEGA64 too) and the Black Screens started happening when I have switched to 2020 drivers.

Passus and DanielRX like this.
  19. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    and guys, I ended up reverting the version of the video driver, installed the most stable version for me which is Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.3.1, My RX580 4GB Nitro + / i5 3570 Stock / 8GB / 1600mhz, cool performance, very solid and goodbye the random black screen!
    ps:
    I don't have a FreeSync monitor, I use a 40 inch Samsung LED TV(Full HD) with Vsync always ON (in game settings).

Windows10 Pro 2004 "19041.329"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I was kiddin though, no black screens in solitaire. :D

Using a samsung freesync monitor never had any issues, card is perfectly stable. Also in W 2004.