9800 GTX gettin' 10-13 fps in Crysis?/

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ebflowers, May 17, 2008.

1. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX
    I bout a new video card specifically to run Crysis, because I had two 8600GT in SLI but Vista 64 didn't support that. But now, my card can't even get a good 18 to 20 frames per second, and it's a fairly high end 9800GTX

[​IMG]

I have three GB of ram.... a Phenom 9500 at 2.38 ghz running on M2N32 deluxe SLI wi-fi edition

my forceware is the latest i think...175.70

what could be the problem? I mean one of my 8600gt's were running crysis on medium pretty good...I thought this one would be way better

2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    First of all, I've never heard any issues with two 8600GT's in SLI in Vista? Why do you say Vista 64 didn't support that?

What resolution and settings are you using in Crysis?

Did you remove and then reinstall your drivers when you installed the 9800GTX?

Did you hook the power wires up correctly to the new card?

3. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    What settings for crysis?

And you should of waited tell june-july really.....

4. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX
    Well for some reason in SLI mode in Vista 64...the screen would flash constantly, not sure. But running it in single gpu mode fixed it.

In Crysis, Im' at high at I think 1280x720
    there some times where it runs smoothly, sometimes I can run Crysis at Very high at the same resolution, but as you know further into the levels it becomes a little more demanding and the more stuff on the screen, the lower your fps I am guessing

But yeah Im pretty sure I have both plugs into the card and I used drive sweeper to compeltely remove/uninstall the last drivers I had

Yeah Yeah i know...shoulda waited for 9900...but I think BFG has a trade-in oppertunity that I might take advantage of...otherwise three of these in tri-SLI (once drivers support such) should compete

5. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    What is the heat on your video card, cpu and motherboard under full load? Could you be experiencing any throttling due to heat on your video card or cpu?

6. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX
    Well I don't think it's a heating problem

CPU i think is at 46c and the GPU is at 65...what should be the norm?

Should this card be able to play Crysis on high or am I expecting more than I can get?

7. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I think you should do a little more testing in other games to make sure your card and system are working normally.

I also think, your CPU at the current speed, will be a limit in Crysis. Can you overclock it at all/more?

8. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX
    Well it ran Call of Duty 4 maxed out so I tihnk its just a problem and crysis or sometthin...I also think its this damn vista 64 that still doesnt support welll enough

I trieed over clocking it to 2.42ghz but thats where it crashes so Im settlin for Phenom 9500 at 2.38 ghz

I assume it is the CPU then?

9. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Try the new 175.16 driver; I've heard it solves some issues with the fan speed of 9800 cards, as well as a frame rate drop in Crysis after some time of play.

10. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX
    but i'm running on 175.70...shouldn't it support those fixes as well?

11. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    well, I just replayed Crysis (for a while) - there has been a couple new drivers since the last time I played it all the way thru. It's a little better, but I am even forced to play with a mixture of medium and high with my rig (granted I play at 1920x1200).

So maybe you are just expecting too much? Crysis kills all systems. And you are right, some areas frame rates are great, and other areas - especially towards the end, get a little slow.

My system is easily twice what yours is, so again, I think maybe you were/are expecting too much... And btw, I get about the same performance in XP as I do in Vista, so it's not a vista thing...

12. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Your CPU is a little low. I'd say that's the issue?

13. ebflowers

ebflowers New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 9800GTX OCX

I see, yours seems to be the more understandable explanation. Your system does system to be twice of what mines is in terms of cpu and gpu so I guess my expectations were just boosted by the fact that it was a overclocked 9800GTX

I was sayin' it was Vista thing though, I just that this whole 64-bit OS system thing and how its not supported in most cases would've caused this

14. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Yup and anyone keeping on upgrading just so that they can play that game with everything maxed will just end up being too broke to pay for the shrink. It's like FSX, not the most efficient of coding.

15. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    You are running a Phenom 9500, that cpu has the TLB error/bug..

16. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    But you have a quad core, in theory Crysis should be able to benefit from the boost. But there's a lot of stuff Crysis is supposed to do/be in theory that don't translate in reality :(

17. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Depends on the stepping, doesn't it?

18. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    No TLB bug on the new cpu's ending in 50 :) , like the 9550, 9650 and so on..

19. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Crysis does lay down the pain....

And at 1920x1200...I think you are expecting too much! I played through it the last time with 1680x1050, all very high, except shaders and shadows ( I didn't notice hardly any difference between high and v.high for shadows), and it wasn't that bad at all. Usually I'm all for extra fps, any way possible ;) , but Crysis is the one game that I could deal with at 20fps. Call me crazy, I know, but it really wasn't that bad. The only parts that REALLY sucked were the Ice level, and the intro where the airliner flys by. That dropped to ~11fps.

At 1920x1200, I'm going to say you are gpu bound. I'd highly recommend dropping it to 1680x1050, or less, and turning up the options! It is a very pretty game! :)

Edit: Just realized you aren't the OP!!! My bad, sli'd 8800's at 1920.....very do-able! Long day at work today....think I should just go to sleep, lol!

20. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Pretty yes, like a gold nugget. Shiny but rough around the edges.