7970 driver installation problems in win 8

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sulfix, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Sulfix

Sulfix Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080 ti SLI
    *solved* 7970 driver installation problems in win 8

I'm always worried about being 'that guy' that missed the post answering their problem already, but after searching for the last few hours I feel it's time to just ask for some help:

I just upgraded to to MSI 7970 lightnings and I can't install the drivers in Win 8. Whenever I try to install any driver set, so far I've tried the win 8 driver, 12.3, 12.4 beta, when it list the components to install the actual driver isn't listed at all. In device manager my cards are listed properly, so I manually installed the driver (currently 8.96), but whenever I try to open CCC it either wont actually open at all, even though the process is running in task manager, or it will give me an error saying no AMD cards are detected.
    I've tried uninstalling all components and drive sweeper, but every time I try to install again the driver still doesn't show in the component list. Please just tell me I'm missing something obvious and call me a noob. I'd rather that than not get this working.

*Edit*
    This solved it for me, I hope it helps anyone else who has this problem
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=360108

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    More of a workaround, but what about installing Radeon Pro instead of CCC...?

3. Sulfix

Sulfix Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080 ti SLI
    I used RadeonPro for a bit today while I was trying to fix things. There was nothing wrong with it, but having CCC broken was messing with my OCD. I keep tinkering until I figure something out.

Found a fix in another thread, updated OP.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey I'm having same issue in Win7. How did you fix yours?