6950 not working

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by venomizer, Nov 24, 2011.

1. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Just got myself an HIS 6950 2GB (not the ICE-Q version). Plugged in but when I boot I get absolutely no signal at all from the card.

Running on a P5K-E (oldish I know, but should still be fine), Corsair HX620W (yes both 6-pins are plugged in).

I've tried in both PCI-E slots on the MB, have tried both DVI and HDMI outputs on the card, nothing. My old 4870 still works perfectly fine in there.

Upon boot, the fan starts loud for a split second, then drops down to normal (just as my old 4870 does).

As far as I can tell, this card doesn't have any BIOS switches so can't try that. I've also reset the BIOS completely on the MB, but that didn't help either.

Is it likely to be a dud card?

Cheers

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Welcome to Guru3D , ssems like you got yourself a defective card , i suggest do an RMA asap. Good Luck.

3. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    If possible try the card on another PC.

When you say you tried reseting the BIOS on the mainboard you mean you cleared the CMOS or you updaded the BIOS? If you didn't, update the mainboard BIOS, because sometimes there are bug-related incompatibilities with certain combinations of mainboards-video cards that are solved with BIOS updates

4. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Also, if you have a DisplayPort to VGA/DVI adapter, I suggest you try it also to see if you can get a bit of life out of it that way.

I had a defective 5870 that only outputted through one DisplayPort and nothing else.

5. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    I sent the card back to the seller and he confirmed that it worked fine in his shop.

I don't really know what to do now.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version available. Is there any other reason why the card wouldn't work with my setup?

I've also got in contact with HIS to ask them the same question.

I'm tempted to just upgrade my system anyway to i-Series as my CPU is gonna start bottlenecking me soon in any case.

6. LordJummy

LordJummy Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    Does your other card work when you plug it in?

I was thinking it could have been mobo dying, but if the old card works, hmm...

That's a strange problem. I would definitely try it in another PC, or go ahead and build a new one :)

Seller won't take it back because he claims it works? Did he prove to you that it works?

7. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Other card works fine every time I stick it back in.

Unfortunately I don't have another suitable PC to put it in (I don't know anyone who even owns a PC with a PCI-E slot these days!)

How can he prove to me that it does work? Either way, I doubt he would lie, he's got 100% feedback on eBay after 500+ sales.

He's offered to send me another identical one. I guess I'll say yes, and if it doesn't work, buy myself some new components ;)

8. LordJummy

LordJummy Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    Yeah get the replacement, because he could be full of it man. He wants $, and that's it. There's no reason to trust anyone that's selling you ****. They're not your friends.

It's time to do a new build anyways :D You will thank yourself later.

9. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    Hi guys, i got similar prob with my ATI 6970 and 1155 Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P, i have Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 mobo on amd platform, and my ATI worked without probs there, now after upgrading to core i5 2500k and Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P, my monitor wont see it.

I tried both pci slots, no effect. Now i pluged in my old GeForce 8800GT, and everything works fine as it should again. I also made latest bios upgrade to F6 (Was F2 before) Just tried to plug in my ATI 6970 - still no effect, i have no idea whats the problem. Pls help anybody.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  10. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Okay, I got sent another identical card by the supplier and guess what, still get no output whatsoever.

This must be some kind of compatibility issue but I can't find anything to back that up. I've googled and found plenty of other people who have the same MB/CPU/GPU combo as me with no apparent problems.

Should be able to take it round a mates tonight to try it in his which should definitely confirm the card works (although I'm 99% sure it does)

Does anyone have ANY idea why there could be some issue with this card in my setup?

11. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    have u checked your power supply plugs doesnt the 6950 require a 8 pin and a six pin? maybe one of them is faulty

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yeah i would try and get another psu and see if it fixes problem: the dude abovr, 450watts is not enough for a 6970

13. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    I have an asus 6950 with the heat pipes and twin 100mm fans...

It requires both an 6 pin as well as a "8 pin" connection!!!

did you plug in 2 6 pins cables???

could that be the issue???

They sell cables to convert a 6 pin to 8 pin.

14. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
  15. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Well the card only has connections for 2 6-pin connectors...

16. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Anyone else got any ideas?

17. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I had this problem years ago on an old AGP system, it turned out the old card I removed had a thicker PCB then the new one and the pins in the AGP slot didn't fully contact. I guess the old card had stretched, crushed the contacts to far.

I was able to get it to work but the method was extreme, stretching the contacts in the slot back one by one, not something I would recommend and probably wouldn't do now myself.

But you said you tried both slots so it kind of rules that out.

I also assume you cleared the CMOS, sometimes the device enumeration table screws with new cards and resetting it helps.

18. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Yeah, I flashed the BIOS to the latest available version, and I've also cleared the CMOS a couple of times since then.

EDIT: The thing is, the MB lights up if it thinks the gfx card isn't seated correctly, and also, the fan on the card acts exactly as it would if it were starting up normally (on boot it spins at 100% for half a second, then drops down to normal speed)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  19. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Is your monitor compatible with this new videocard? Is windows just booting to the desktop although you can't see it? Does the monitor go in sleeping mode when you boot?
    You can tell by the power light from the monitor.
    How many pcie slots do you have on your motherboard? If more than one have you tried both?

Now it's difficult to blame one or the other component, but maybe your psu isn't as good as it should be, they give less output over time.
    Does your motherboard has a 8pin psu power connector? Or is it the old 4pin? Maybe your mainboard can't cope with the new videocard.

20. venomizer

venomizer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Okay, I've tried this in another computer (albeit with the same PSU from mine - the other one was missing...), exactly the same problem. Of course, this means my PSU could still be the culprit, but it seems highly highly unlikely. A corsair HX620W should be able to handle this card EASILY (especially once I've unplugged absolutely everything else from the PSU - HDD's, optical drives etc.)

So this leads me to 3 possible conclusions:

1 - Both cards he has sent me are dead
    2 - My PSU can't power the card
    3 - For whatever reason, this card won't work in PCI-e v1 MB's (the other PC I tried is also PCI-e 1)

I'm waiting for a mate to come home so I can try in his PCI-e v2 board.