23.976 Hz refresh rate - impossible?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by puntloos, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ok fine... I have a clan match on...

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I assume you have this option in your nvidia control panel

[​IMG]

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    am i the only one getting the slight feeling that if he's trying to watch BluRay or something on his computer over HDMI on a 1080p TV.... that his GeForce 9300 could be partly to blame for a possible issue? But even then.... again.... the audio and video aren't really separate sources on BluRay or DVD. Oddly enough, every DVD i've ever seen has a Video_TS and Audio_TS folder (or something like that).... but the Audio side is always empty.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I've got a Sony Blu-ray burner. I've watched plenty of movies using several different formats including 1080/60p and 1080/24p which my 1080p Sony Bravia supports natively. I can actually run my desktop at 23/24 FPS which is kinda funky with the mouse movement. I've never had an issue with audio or video being out of sync. All I use is Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra v8.

5. puntloos

puntloos Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9300
    I do. Sadly, this option does not have enough precision, it only shows 2 digits ("23.98Hz" after the resolution is set.)

6. puntloos

puntloos Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9300
    Possible. Although I currently think it's more of a driver issue, given that the driver is so unfamiliar with "23.976"
    Audio_ts is only for audio tracks, with video tracks, audio is multiplexed into the stream.

7. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Like I was saying, odds are its something with his audio equipment. Or you know, he could just go and get a BD player and run that instead of using his computer for everything. Sometimes, when you get a unit that just does that one thing.. it'll work how you want it and not how you think it should. I'm of the belief system that a tv is a tv and a computer is a computer. If you want to use your computer AS your tv, go ahead. But don't complain when it starts acting like a computer instead of your DVD player. Get a BD player, hook up your system to that and problem solved. I still don't see why you'd come into the Rivatuner section to post about hertz. Wouldn't this be more at home in the HDTV/Home Audio section? Because you're using it as a home theatre system.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's odd considering it clearly shows 3 digit precision for setting the upper and lower limit and the actual. Are you sure you're just not bored?
    Notice what I did here was make a custom refresh of 60.011 hz. That's three digits.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Go back to the previous screen and check the box "enable modes not allowed by the display" Note the "not allowed" part of that sentence.....

Then where the "CVT" bar is - click on it and change it to "manual".

Have fun. Don't sit too close to the TV...

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Ah you're right I should have pointed that out. I assumed since he was so know-it-all he would know it all. :)

Edit: Oops actually you don't need to do that. Just clicking the create button will allow you to set a custom resolution. As you can see I did leaving that box unchecked

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Talk about pedantic...

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Ah well he has a 'solution'. I doubt it will resolve his issue though. A fitting end no?

13. puntloos

puntloos Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9300
    And you really think that after all my research and trying in this I wouldn't have, say, played with the custom resolution stuff in the standard driver?

I first played with the custom resolution stuff about 3 months ago. While I'm sure I'm capable of making beginner mistakes, this wasn't one of them.

The 'custom resolution' allows you to get a -little- closer to 23.976 but not close enough.

14. puntloos

puntloos Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9300
    In a way you have a point, but just giving up about 1 inch from the finish line is not my style. I have a HTPC that plays -everything-, BD, HD streams from youtube, windows media video, itunes, you name it and I have it in one central place, instead of having to use 20 different devices.

THe only problem is 24p, which would be fixed if I can only give the hardware one nudge and play 23.976.

Which is why I posted here - rivatuner seems to be the only tool that actually is able to tweak the internals of the nvidia card, which is what I apparently need for this.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Damn, after 3 months of research I bet you're really looking forward to watching those movies.[​IMG]

avsforums would have been a better place for you to post regarding Home Theatre / Video / HDMI etc. Those guys love their A/V setups as much as we love our PC's here at G3D.

But they would only tell you the same thing we are anyway...

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Have you tried this yet?
    [​IMG]

Don't worry about that actual refresh rate (I did not enable that desired setting and this monitor is just normal LCD anyway). This might work.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You're kidding aren't you? Scroll up 5 posts.....

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    No, I am not. I just posted that picture just to show him how to change that desired refresh rate. Didn't see your text advice there though. Well, at least my screenshot is pretty. ;)

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I see. So you were in error when you posted

"I do. Sadly, this option does not have enough precision, it only shows 2 digits ("23.98Hz" after the resolution is set.)"

Which clearly implied you were unfamiliar in your months of research if you were not able to accurately describe what it does. If I can set refresh to
    oh say 60.011 I see no reason why you cannot set 23.976.

In fact...

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes, I was just admiring the quality of it actually...... Shame I can only see it @85Hz though.

The detail would look so much better if I could just get my 21' CRT down to about 24Hz I'm sure...