Z390 chipset now rumored to get rebranded from Z370

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    From the looks of it, that new 8-core Coffee lake CPU, might work fine on the Z370 chipset. So Intel, while still releasing Z390, might simply be rebranding the Z370 and allow motherboard manufacture...

Z390 chipset now rumored to get rebranded from Z370

2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Oh so ...whats the point of z390? oO makes me wonder if after this info intel will still lock their 8 cores on it or will allow bios updates for their Z370

3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    It's just in case you would like to throw more $$$ Intel's way.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Why does this not surprise me? Because of course the 8-core Coffee Lake won't be compatible with Z370...

5. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    That's just a yellow press. Likely AMD-paid fake news again. Z390 will have new USB and CNVi controllers.

Speaking of AMD X470?

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    This did happened before? do you have any link/source?

Keitosha likes this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That comment of his was hilarious.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I highly doubt Intel would be dumb enough to release a new chipset that is required by these 8-core CPUs - it kind of defeats the purpose of using socket 1151. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Z390 boards will be more optimized for the 8-cores (such as having better VRMs). I'm sure with a BIOS update, you could run these 8-cores on lower-end chipsets.

Intel has already caused enough complication by breaking backward compatibility with the 300 series, so having a secondary layer of broken compatibility just so they compete with AMD doesn't bode well for them. If these CPUs were to require Z390, Intel might as well have just made the 7820X more affordable and advertise it more. Frankly, the 7820X will probably be better than whatever the 1151 options will be, anyway, and it is likely going to cost about the same.

9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Actually I wouldn't be so sure about that. The things the 7820X has going for it is more PCIe lanes and quad-channel memory, but being a down-scaled model of a bigger die is not "ideal". The mesh architecture on the SKL-X chips is good for scaling the chip up to more cores and steady performance, but on an 8-core the old ring bus the consumer chips use is probably better for performance - even more so on peak ST performance.

Coffee Lake-S also uses 14+++, while SKL-X only used 14++, which could result in better thermal/OC behavior as well, and yield us higher base clocks/built-in turbo bins.

10. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    So now when new customer enters PC store, the seller should explain him about LGA1151/LGA1151v2, H310/H370/B360/Z370/Z390-OMG!!!!!!!
    I can't understand why MB manufactures accept this, look how many SKU's they must handle, too much SKU's is very bad for a business.
    P.S : I think Intel gonna add H380 too for the 8 core-lol.

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I hope that's irony.

12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Fake propaganda about GPP.

Why would it be? It's an upgraded mainstream chipset for 300 series, yet we keep see AMD fanboy trolling about new sockets, rebrands etc.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  13. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Again and again. AMD does all the same.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    @coth seems to be oblivious to the past and present, claiming things that aren't true as though they are fact, and claiming that x370 to x470, simply two different chipsets with the same compatibility with at current 2 generations of CPUs (yes, the x470 has additional improvements and allows the 2nd generation of ryzen to perform better, but again, does not prevent you from using first generation or 2nd generation on either the 300 or 400 series chipsets) is somehow the same as Intel changing sockets every single year, or, if they don't change sockets, simply disallowing people to use new processors in old boards, or old processors in new boards.....

Lots of delusion going on here.

15. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I find it quite ironical that you throw the term "AMD fanboys" around when you're nothing short of Nvidia fanboy yourself.
    I guess I will start filling the ignore list with mentally unstable people and trolls again.

sykozis and Aura89 like this.

16. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    That's just a pure lie. Intel was changing socket every new architecture, same as AMD, with CF-S being an only exception, as socket and chipset was being made to be Ice Lake ready that eventually got delayed. AMD had same exceptions of a new socket in the middle of architectural iteration just recently - Socket FM2+.

And I didn't say a word about Nvidia. Looks like for you it's easier to mark and blame people than accept facts. You probably wanted to mark me as Intel fanboy, which, again, would be wrong. I've had a lot of AMD products through my life. And having right now.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Intel tech dept. : "We don't have anymore CPUs to rebrand...."
    Intel market dept. : "Then rebrand sockets! Cmon, chop chop! Money don't grow on trees!"

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hahaha, nah man, what's a lie is quoting only a specific part of the statement i stated as if that is what was stated, here, read that statement you call a lie again, fully through

Try better next time :)

But its funny you mention FM2/+, since FM2 CPUs were compatible with the FM2+ socket, something Intel doesn't do. Instead, as i stated in the correctly quoted portion of my statement, Even if intel doesn't change the socket, they purposefully make things incompatible.

Here, have an article directly from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0025694/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    nhanphan1990 likes this.
  19. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Lets sum it up:
    Intel FORCES you to CHANGE! $$$
    AMD LETS you to CHOOSE ;)

20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Yeah.. then why does this exist

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157581

This board can support the am2 version of the athlon 64 circa 2006, all the way up to the vishera FX cpus circa 2012.

Clearly the old am2/am2+/am3/am3+ socket did not undergo the same type of intentional software and hardware blocking that intel does (such as blocking coffeelake on z170 and z270 boards).

Keitosha likes this.