XP Power Off Screen Missing Issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by P4 Gamer, Aug 12, 2004.

1. P4 Gamer

P4 Gamer Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF
    Can anyone help me. I have lost the XP it is safe to power off your computer screen display on shutdowns. I recently reinstalled XP1+SP1 and am using Asus dets 53.03. If I use anything higher the water gfx in Far Cry mess up so this is the highest dets I can currently use on my Ti4400. Even before the O/S reinstall I installed then removed dets 56.72 + 61.76 WHQL and both have the XP powerdown screen but mess up far crys water gfx. Does anyone know if there is a simple reg fix to reinstate the XP powerdown screen? When I did the new O/S reinstall the first drivers I installed were 53.03 and no XP powerdown screen even then!

TIA

2. Ruddrage

Ruddrage Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT @ 400/1000
    The reason why the message isn’t being displayed anymore is because before you reinstalled windows, the APM (Advanced Power Management) wasn't functioning properly.
    This can happen if you install WinXP before turning on APM in your BIOS, or if the initial installation of WinXP didn't go on correctly.
    However this time, windows has detected that you have a ATX motherboard and therefore installed the APM, this means that windows will no longer ask for you to turn the PC off as it will do so itself. :D

Ruddrage

3. P4 Gamer

P4 Gamer Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF
    I wish that were true but XP does not turn itself off. I still need to press the power button exactly like I did before the re-install except now I am not getting the message screen which says it is safe to do so!

4. Ruddrage

Ruddrage Active Member

GPU:
    First of all ready this link

Read Here

Once you've read this and the 'Enable Advanced Power Management Support' tab does not exist, then replay and I'll tell you how to enable it

5. P4 Gamer

P4 Gamer Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF
    Ruddrage,

Thanks for all your help so far.

I read the url you kindly provided & enabled APM. Makes no difference. The strange thing is that W2K+SP4 & W98SE both with all the MS hotfixes installed from the Windows Update site display the power off screen yet XP+SP1 with all the hotfixes etc does not unless it has a newer Forceware than 56.72. Which then breaks the water in Far Cry....

Any other ideas?

TIA

6. Ruddrage

Ruddrage Active Member

GPU:
    Okay, have a look in the registry for this key

Location: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

Key name: PowerdownAfterShutdown

Set this value to 1 for normal power down after shutdown, or 0 to display the "it is now safe..." screen.

If you know how to modify the registry, you can change this manually via regedit.

Ruddrage

7. P4 Gamer

P4 Gamer Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF
    Edited Registry & it makes no difference. I'm sure it is related to the forceware version as the newer dets display and older do not.