Xbox One S

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Jan 14, 2017.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    What do yall think of the new update?

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My Xbox One (launch model) took some 5-6 hours to download the latest 750 MB firmware update for some reason. I'm not sure why but normally the console updates while in standby and I've never had to wait for it to update. It failed three times as well and the download had to be restarted from 0% each time. Ouch!

To be honest, my Xbox One is pretty much irrelevant as a gaming platform these days with the release of many of its previous exclusive games on the PC, where the games are unsurprisingly better. I use my Xbox One mostly as a passthrough for my Sky+HD box and rarely actually play games on it except for the odd backward compatible title that I previously owned on Xbox 360 and now have access to again.

Not wishing to start a platform war or anything as I own multiple consoles (including Wii U, Switch, PS3, PS4 Pro and PS Vita as well as a gaming PC) the PS4 is a much better console for gaming in my experience. It is my main gaming platform along with the PC for the majority of games. I feel the Xbox One is a bit lacking when it comes to RPGs which is the genre I enjoy the most which is where the PS4 excels, thanks to the abundance of Japanese RPGs.

I'm curious about Scorpio, particularly as the Xbox One is woefully underpowered for 1080p gaming as standard, but I fear that it may come too late into this current generation to make any real impact. Its price also unknown at the moment but considering the Xbox One was £425 at launch then I would not be surprised to see a similar price point for Scorpio. Yet it all comes down to the games and if most of them are available for PC then it makes the platform a lot less interesting than, say, Switch or PS4 Pro which have exclusive games that will never be available on PC.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i have both the phat and the slim, downloaded and installed in 10 mins, no issues, i like the new speed and i like the new layouts overall, but yeah very fast on both my systems with no issues.

Although i am somewhat miffed they removed snap without replacing it, i did use it to stream yt and music while gaming and have on demand for catching up on the news and such, was quite a good feature i thought.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Added another one to my collection. The detail is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghosty likes this.

5. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Sold my Xbox One S, just wasn't getting any use, nothing worth playing on the thing.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Very nice indeed, and the detail is very good, nice overal, can i ask how much it cost you, if that is not being too nosy. ;)

And i assume the Gears game will be digital, enjoy that 90 gig download, i did. lol

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    $390 and change shipped. The game itself was digital and took about 30 minutes to download.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    30 mins, that is some connection you got, almost 23 gig every 8 mins, and i thought i was fast on 34 meg. Lol

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Just a heads up to any UK xbox gamers wanting a xbx as cheap as possible, Very, this online catalogue type site, are taking pre-orders for the xbx, at £449.99, but if you are a first time customer you can sign up, and then use this code LGAQP, and you will get £80 off, so that XBX will come in at £363.98, and if you have a xbox slim at present, the trade in shop CEX are giving £107 cash for the 500 gig model and £130 cash for the 1tb model, so you could be getting a XBX for a total output of £234, as i will be doing, oh and it's a credit thing, but you can pay it up in one go as soon as you get it, or over 12 months with no interest payments, just like Argos.;

And i doubt it will be anywhere near that price in the next two years, so just a heads up to any UK xbox gamers who are in the market to move to the xbx as cheap as possible, as this might be of interest to you.

Here is a link to the site for those interested.
    http://www.very.co.uk/xbox-one-x-1t...r-andor-12-months-xboxnbsplive/1600217196.prd

Ghosty likes this.
  10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Was not using my Xbox one s since like 6 months. Downloaded a big update. I can't make comparison. Is it faster now?

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Never really had any issues when it came to speed with the UI before, but it does what it says on the tin, well for me anyway....i have the slim as well.

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
  13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Very tempted to buy a Xbox One X. I presume the control pad is now fully wireless?

14. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I just bought the x box one x
    A version controller for pc after my other one died.

The wireledd adapter detects the controller way faster and it doesn't drop out. The textured grip is awesome and the thumb sticks grip makes it 10 times easier to control.

I didn't even know there was even a revision to the base x box one original controller until mine died last night and I had to do some research.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well here is a interesting development for xbox one S owners, they are enhancing some xbox one and xbox 360 games for the X, and that seems to be also affecting the xbox S because i have just had a few Xbox one and xbox 360 titles on my library update to included HDR support for some older xbox 360 titles which included Halo 3 and Edge(that parkour game), both look just amazing with HDR added, and it was free, my fave price. ha

And a few other games that are sitting in the X Enhanced menu on the XBS are Elite H, Fallout 3, Gears of war 3, E Scroll Oblivion, Quantum break, Rise of the tomb raider, and i few more......although i don't know how many of these will have anything that will be seen on the XBS, but i will cheak later, i am sure i read that TR was getting HDR support for the XBS and X laster year, we shall see. ha

Redemption80 likes this.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    My understanding is that the X controller still requires AA batteries and isn't completely wireless?

17. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Oops. I meant to write x box one S.

And yes it requires batteries and is 100% wireless. It uses blue tooth rather than just regular wireless of the original x box one controller which apparently doubles the range which I've found to be true.

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Maybe I got spoiled by the Playstation controllers as I fully expected Microsoft to have moved away from AA batteries by now. How long do they last?

20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I immediately replaced them with the pack I linked, those last a good long time, couldn't tell you exactly but I've used them through some pretty long play sessions. I can't remember ever getting a low battery warning but I guess you will if you play for long enough ;)