Windows 9 preview targeting a Q2 2015 release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Windows 9, codename Threshold, is rumored for an April 2015 release date. This information is known and comes from Paul Thurrott, a well-known Microsoft insider. Now, according to a new rumor, Micros...

Windows 9 preview targeting a Q2 2015 release

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ah what the hell,

MDL->internet->MDL :D

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Windows 9? Already? I've yet to upgrade to Windows 8!

Still using Windows 7 Ultimate. :)

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Windows 8 is suppost to be skipped like ME and Vista.

Tho i personally used a stripped down version of Vista 64-Bit for quite a while, and it worked really well. But guess that's because it was stripped down.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Why bring the start menu back? Its not needed... at all.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I hope Microsoft will continue to support Win8.x well after Win9 has been released. Backporting DX12 to it and etc

Perhaps Microsoft has realized that it might be good to give the users a choice to use it or not?

7. Smikis

Smikis Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290
    once you go windows 8, you never go back, people hate windows 8 same way they hated windows vista, even when vista was pretty much windows 7 in the end
    But that just goes to show that first impression is everything

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Because only 0.01% of the Desktop users like Metro.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neah, I still use 7 every day :p The older task manager and lack of the ribbon doesn't bother me at all ;)

10. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    Vista was pretty much Windows 7 in the end? :bonk:

11. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    You can't generalize for everyone like that. You're wrong in this case. I hate Windows 8 or 8.1 yet I have it ONLY because I can

(1) get rid of most of the Windows 8 stuff by using Classic Shell and
    (2) Have better performance on Windows 8 than 7 especially in games like BF4.

Another thing I don't like about 8 is that you can't play certain old games like C&C.

12. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Operating systems (all of them), like the hardware being sold today...has lapped itself at least twice (probably many more times than that). Companies push this stuff out to ensure a positive cash flow to stay in business. That's all it is. Just like cars are deliberately designed not to last.

Think about it...what other reason would a manufacturer have to get people to replace their software or hardware? The stuff will last a very long time if taken care of. And most people (99% of planet Earth) do not need the computing power being sold to them at present. Maybe in the early formative years this all made sense but not anymore.

13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Vista runs quite well with the SP installed, it also has better compatibility with older games in my experience.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vista was great when the driver teams got their act together and the SP's also helped a lot. By the time SP2 released however, Windows 7 RTM'ed so I switched over. Windows 8.1.2 should be awesome but then again, 9 should be close and without the baggage the "8" carries.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You can't stereotype people like that because people hated Windows Vista for different reasons than they hated Windows 8 or 8.1. Also the reason why I hated Vista was they moved everything around and I was used to XP at the time. Now I don't have a problem with Vista. I have Windows 8.1 on a Dell Venue 8 pro tablet and I like it just fine because Windows 8/8.1 was intended for tablets first and everything else 2nd but with Classic Shell it makes it more desktop friendly.

Windows 9 on the other hand I am quite interested to see what MS does with it as far as features go.

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    If they keep up the current pace they will be announcing Windows 10 beta before Windows 9 hits the shelves.

17. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    If there is one feature I would really like to see on windows 9 it's a ram drive facility. Typically aimed for games.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder if Windows 9 will be a free update for Windows 8 users?

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's the rumour going around.

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah thats right. If you unbuckled your seatbelt and got off the bandwagon, youd of figured that one out already.

The same problem vista had is still happening with 8, execept instead of driver issues (A reasonably complaint), people aee whining about an guii that can be completely avoided by a few simple steps and wih thout needing any first party tools.

Thing is, the meat sack sitting infront of the pc is to lazy to take the time to learn how to use features that at the end of the day, are far more effcient than any other windows.

Its not hard.

As per windows 9 or 8.2 etc, i think ms would be better off doing an Apple model of frequent updates of the OS, though one thing we need to keep in mind is how this may affect freash installs, if at all. But just something.

Last edited: May 19, 2014