Windows 8 UI is dropping the 'Start' button

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Either working for or obsessed with, which is why I don't reply to him. He can have his CRIPPLED functionality, those of us who prefer efficiency will simply not use the aptly named 'Metro' UI.

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    You will all use this new UI...eventually. Being enthusiasts though, one would think they would find learning an evolved OS to be fun, challenging and rewarding. However there will be plenty of 3rd party UI alternatives.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Been using windows 8 developer preview as main windows for a while frikkin love it

4. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Are they trying the dx12 only windows 8.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i don't think dx12 will be out for a very long time. dx11 and 11.1 will likely be the dx9 and dx9c for years to come. API's generally don't need to move much, i think its more that dx10 turned out to be a mistake of some sort.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What you said goes in the face of what the human race has been trying to achieve for the last 2 million years. Everything you use today was built with the idea that what we currently have simply wasn't good enough. Imagine if someone said "If it ain't broke don't fix it" to the man who tried to build the first arrowhead. It is a perfect comparison. Most innovation comes from iteration of design. If you made the same statement in Windows 3.1, I sure as hell hope someone would have called you out on it.

Also the working for MS thing is such a cop out.

You say you prefer efficiency but then when they build the entire OS around a formula that is designed to extract the maximum amount of efficiency out of a user interface, you claim it's crippling functionality. The reason you don't reply is because you have nothing to say, except to repeat yourself. Have you even used the new interface?

I think it's less of DX10 being a mistake and more of GPGPU computing gaining so much traction and needed to be added.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I hope DX11 sticks around for a while.

8. stut85

stut85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850 1GB
    A number of users will no doubt seek for what they once had...something like Classic Shell will no doubt cater for them :p

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

That is providing that Microsoft doesn't to stick an option in there themselves ;)

9. speedshifter

speedshifter Guest

GPU:
    Built In
    My question in this is would we still have the start button if we go into Safe Mode? :p

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    A few of you guys need to cool it down!

I've used Windows Developer Preview, and I liked the metro ui a lot. Now as far as practicality goes, I feel that the start menu is more practical for time. Metro UI just looks pretty!

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is already a registry hack that sets the entire interface to Windows 7. Whether or not they are going to have an interface option to set it is unknown.

People are also overlooking the various other features Windows 8 has in it and just focusing on the UI changes. The new filesystem looks really good. There are memory enhancements all over the place (uses half the memory on bootup than Windows 7). The new file transfer system is amazing. The networking stack is completely rebuilt. ISO/VHD mounting support. WDDM 1.2 which includes enhanced performance and reduction of video memory. Better multi-monitor support with customized taskbars on multiple displays.

Plus tons of other stuff.

The only thing I hate about it so far is the color scheme. To me it looks ugly, but you'll probably be able to change it.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You already can change it via the registry.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The color scheme?

14. Kwok

Kwok Guest

GPU:
    1x GTX1080
    Im getting so tired of industries TELLING us what we want then shoving it down our collective throats at prices that scream "Rape". What is really frustrating is how many just accept this as normal.
    3D? Common 3D?? 3D has been shoved down our throats a handful of times in the last 60 years. Each time the FAD has died out thank god. There are others, but Im so angry now I can no longer think rationally.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    http://www.addictivetips.com/window...windows-8-metro-start-menu-background-colors/

It's obvious your rational thought left you a long, long time ago. If you don't like the new interface you have literally dozens of alternatives from Linux, to Apple, to older versions of Windows. Microsoft includes the old interface in the WIndows 8 as far as we can tell, and it's a simple registry edit away.

If you think they're TELLING you what you like, you're obviously mistaking Microsoft for the voices in your head. Microsoft is attempting to guess, through various methods, including study groups, what will work best, objectively.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    its more about whats intuitive and more natural to human vision and response than it is about what people like. Some people still like command lines in Linux, doesnt mean anything really.
    Making a start menu full screen makes more sense than a small window since its one of those things that when you open it, thats all your looking at anyway, so might as well fill the space and replace static icons that rarely match a theme to some widgets displaying at a glance information. from weather to RSS to CPU Temps,etc...why not?

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're concerned about efficiency, you should like the MetroUI. Most "features" can be accessed in a single click, whereas WindowsXP, Vista and 7 have taken multiple clicks.

There is NO DX12.... How many times does this statement need to be repeated? Windows8 will support DX11.1 at launch....which will be released for Windows7 as well.

18. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Became really curious about Windows 8, and have just newly finished downloading a 4.83Gb iso of the 64-bit Developer Preview.
    Might burn a dvd tomorrow sometime, and try it out on my backup rig, and see what it's like. ;)

19. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    OK, so I downloaded and installed the Dev Preview a couple days ago.

Most of you know that I own 2 computer repair businesses and I'm sure you can easily figure that I need to stay ahead of the curve with things like this - after all, when this hits the shelves and I get asked questions, I better know what I'm talking about.

I wasn't a big fan of Metro on my test laptop - until I tested it on a 24" TFT touch monitor that I purchased for a customer's POS system... now that I've seen it the way that Microsoft envisioned it, I'm sold.

I was already sold on all the other benefits - all the information available in the Performance Monitor (think Win7, but with additional info - LOTS of additional info), and the new Task Manager is AWESOME.
    The ribbon across all explorer windows is going to take a little getting used to, but after spending 3 days now with it, it's becoming more and more intuitive to just click up there to make your changes.
    Hit the hidden Start button or the Windows key on your keyboard and start typing and EVERYTHING is there at your fingertips - instantly. Try it - just hit the Windows key and type SETTINGS and see whats available in just that one word on a fresh install, then do it again after you've installed a few programs.

It's much lighter on resources on this same machine than Windows 7 was - by a little more than 1/3.

All in all, I'm with everyone here that's tried it (admittedly I didn't get a chance to read every page, but I read the last 2 pretty much thoroughly) - if you haven't tried it, you NEED to before passing judgment on it... it's what I would consider a REvolutionary step forward, not just an evolutionary step - it's more than just an evolution on an idea.
    They've made EVERYTHING more efficient - everything is easier to get into and when you get there, there's more information available to you.

Spending as much time as I do in computer repair, it's a real treat to get to work on a Windows 7 machine as opposed to an XP machine - there's just so much more available to work with. In fact, working on anything less than Windows 7 actually feels *archaic*.
    I believe that Windows 8 is going to make me feel the same way about Windows 7. There's just so much more information available!

Back to Metro, I'm not necessarily a fan of the way it looks, but I AM a fan of the way it works. And I know it's only a matter of time before all the 2 dimensional panels are skinnable and customizeable to our individual tastes, much like our standard desktops are now.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with Windows 8. It's faster to get ANYWHERE you want to be, it's lighter on resources, and offers much more information than even Windows 7 provided people like me.

Psychlone

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    biggest problem i have is trying to play league of legends when ribbon and metro are on if i move my mouse to the left corner or where the start menu is during something and click instantly at desktop. i kinda hope this will be addressed cause else the ribbon won't be used at all nor metro ui if gaming rts games cause one corner of the screen is like hazardous death trap for mp :D