Windows 11 is up to 15 percent slower with AMD CPUs, fixes coming in October

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fluidz likes this.
  2. Timur Born

Timur Born Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    The real issue is the L3 cache thing. CPPC is not a dealbreaker until it is fixed, even less so on CPUs overclocked via curve optimizer (where cores' max clocks are more evened out between each other).

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Did Microsoft concentrate on the development work with Intel, due to the major BIG+little architecture change, and AMD was left out of the meetings? The hour seems pretty late for fixing serious problems with Ryzen CPUs only now.

Although that being said, nobody but those with a really pioneering spirit should be switching to Win11 at this point anyway.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    I am running it just because my Win10 install crapped itself and I figured why not since it was in beta phase. I use a 5800x and while I am sure there is a slowdown it's not enough to functionally notice. At least I haven't.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Wise words (whatever your favorite brand).
    The patch is already on the way, and there is other "slow" things on Intel side too (with file browser as an exemple)...

tunejunky likes this.
  6. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    You would have to be mad to switch to Windows 11 so quickly when Windows 10 is one of the better MS releases like Windows 7, XP , Dos 6.22 etc and not Vista or Windows ME.

Solfaur, Airbud, JamesSneed and 2 others like this.
  7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm certain they worked really close with Intel, AMD and even Qualcomm. Bugs happen.

Maddness and Undying like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    FOMO always reels in a sizable crowd. :D

tunejunky likes this.
  9. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    I have been using it for 2 or 3 weeks at this point. I had one crash and no other problems I can detect. For a beta it's damned stable.

I am unhappy with the HDR stuff though. It was supposed to handle HDR better and there are more settings but it still seems super wonky, HDR wise. Minor stuff but it's one of the reasons I swapped.

tunejunky likes this.
  10. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I'll upgrade iOS fairly quickly, but Windows... no.

tunejunky and ocsystem like this.

11. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    That actually makes sense. Apple hardware is homogenous and proprietary. Windows has to run on anything "compatible" out there.

Silva likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Maybe a bag of money of considerable size was exchanged to keep AMD out of the loop. Let's all remember that with Intel, anything goes ;)

Silva likes this.
  13. Timur Born

Timur Born Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    The L3 cache issues were known for months already, so someone (MS or AMD) is quite late to the launch party.

Kaarme, rl66 and Undying like this.
  14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I am happy with it too, specialy from the linux stuff that are really great.
    I never crashed too despite on dev chanel, it is more stable than W10 so far...
    BUT there is still things to fix that would be real big drama for lambda user without knowledge (mean "most user").
    Being early user is more for us, and expose you to those problem.

tunejunky likes this.
  15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Because Intel can bribe Microsoft into sabotaging their own OS they want to release, that is already controversial.

16. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Even with this apparent homogeneity, iOS is a bloated mess. 15 has been the most bug riddled morass I have ever had the displeasure of using, matching iOS 7 as possibly the worst iOS release in history. There isn't an Apple device in my stable that isn't having issues, and I own iOS devices both old and brand new.

As for Windows, it's always come with teething problems on release. This doesn't surprise me; Microsoft is more likely to make sure Intel CPUs work before they will tackle AMD compatibility. It's a simple matter of market share. No one is going to go out of their way to cripple their own OS to help someone else out. Not at this level. It's also one of the reasons some users continue to prefer Intel over AMD, even if AMD may sometimes offer better performance.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not only L3 cache, ANY cache...
    Cache are used the same way with a Celeron quasi inexistent cache than with a high end huge cache, so the benefit of big cache is limited (or killed lol).
    You can see the change if you use many OS on the same machine.
    I will try if you can fix it the same way than on W10...

tunejunky likes this.
  18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is known for months as insiders reported it several times but M$/AMD didn't care..

19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Ever since MS disbanded the Windows testing team, that windows users became the beta testers.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. gary tennant

gary tennant Guest

GPU:
    1080gtx
    I have been using windows 11 for a mouth from a gaming perspective its faster slicker ,and it as lot of interesting ideas its not perfect so far my experience of windows 11 as been positive /