Why and What antivirus do YOU use.

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Agent-A01, Sep 23, 2011.

?

Which AV software do you use?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2011.
  1. Malwarebytes

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. AVG

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Avast

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Norton

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Microsoft Security essentials

26 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Other. please state

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    no one uses Threatfire? it augments your existing AV. it has alerted me to things my AV didnt alert to.

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    No, I haven't, tbh. I'll give it a try though. Thanks for mentioning it, F1refly! :thumbup:

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Same here, and very happy. :)

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Seems MSE is the most popular AV software, and the best all around regarding protection and features.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Noticed that too. Scanning some installers took way to much time compared to Avast. Avast is much lighter.

*Loves Avast Internet Security*

6. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Eset Smart Security .....

7. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    Good AV

haven't found a better combination than Avira Free and Malwarebytes

8. Optikn3rv

Optikn3rv Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidea GTX 670
    Bit defender 2011, did update to Bit defender internet security 2012 but it's ruined my outlook (see other topic from me)

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Heh, that article didn't even state the fact that the test sets are way different between the two.
    900k-ish (trojans, backdoors/bots, worms, Windows viruses, other malware, scripts & macro viruses) for August 2010 vs. 200k-ish (trojans, backdoors/bots, worms, other malware/viruses) for August 2011.

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I normally wouldn't use an antivirus personally, but my business requires security.
    I own and operate 2 computer repair businesses, and I have to have security on my servers because there's at least 10 customer computers HDDs physically attached to each of them at any given time, and every one of them have malware.
    Needless to say, all of my personal computers on the same network are protected.

I've been doing this for a very long time (27 years), and I've received computers that have been protected by everything under the sun - but in the last 6 years, I've yet to see a single computer that's protected by Kaspersky come in for malware eradication.

I only suggest KIS to those elderly people that I know can't afford me every time they get infected (which, without KIS, would be significant).
    And I only suggest KIS to select people because I know (as well as most of you) - that since NO antivirus can guarantee to keep someone safe, and as long as they feel they're safe with their preinstalled Norton or whatever, I'm going to eventually get their computer for malware removal. (if I told everyone about KIS, I'd have no repeat malware business at all!)

Psychlone

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, has anyone tried the bloat that is Spyware Doctor w/ Antivirus???

Have they finally fixed the problems with it? The last time I gave it a try, it brought my Q9550 to it's knees. Increased boot times by nearly 60sec, increased memory usage by nearly double....increased app loading time drastically.

Funny that you should recommend KIS... The last computer I installed KIS on, didn't fair well and now runs Norton.

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    And for elderly people MSE would be a better choice.
    MSE is simply invisible to most people.
    Heck, it works fast even in my old laptop, a 1.5GHz Pentium M.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes mse is good all around for most people, youvdont have to do anything, just let it work on its own

14. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    I have seen MSE defeated (2 weeks back) by a video.exe that somehow entered an acquaintances Win7 PC lol.

I use Eset Nod32 Antivirus btw.

15. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460
    I use MS Security Essentials and Comodo Firewall on Win7.

I wanted to use MSE and the Windows Firewall for low resource purposes but havent heard much good about the Win firewall.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    No antivirus "solution" is idiot proof. No antivirus "solution" has an absolute 100% detection or removal rating either. The key is finding the "solution" you're most comfortable with and adopting proper/safe usage habits. I suggest running a good malware app such as Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to complement your antivirus "solution". They provide a free version with a simple on-demand scanner or a paid version that includes a real-time scanner.

The included Windows Firewall with the default options is a basic firewall. It does have some advanced features, but unless you're familiar with configuring such firewalls or just like ripping your hair out....Comodo is a better choice. Personally, I use Norton Internet Security as I'm sitting behind a hardware firewall and my ISP's proxy anyway.

17. wolverin0

wolverin0 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 1GD5OC
    MSE + Malwarebytes, you don't need anything else.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd recommend going with the paid version of Malwarebyte's when pairing with MSE...but that's just my opinion.

19. bfburkejr

bfburkejr Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt240 512meg
    AVG Internet Security Suite 64bit and AVG PC tuneup. Love them. Saved me again and again.

20. Optikn3rv

Optikn3rv Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidea GTX 670
    Bit defender anti virus + zone alarm
    Used AVG internet security for years but way too many false hits.

oh yeah have had winpatrol for many years running in the background to.