Watch_Dogs Relief Mapping Mod by The Silver

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by The Silver, Dec 11, 2015.

1. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Hi !

I've worked on a convertor between common normals and WD normals. I would like to know if the result is correct. Download it to see alpha channel.

I am just wondering if WD requires ARGB or RGBA.

Usual format :

[​IMG]

WD format :

[​IMG]

2. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    I think it requires RGBA, and no your result seems wrong. To check if you're doing it right just use the nVidia tools, they're are already able to convert images to the common orange normal map format, just download this example and set the tool like that: example.7z

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Ho my god ! I looked for this for days !!!!! Thank you !

EDIT : AT LAST ! AT LAST IT WORKS !!!!! HALLELOUIAHHHH !

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. ThatGuyOverTher

ThatGuyOverTher Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980
    has anyone gotten to trying to edit skin sub surface scattering on aiden or other people in the game?
    since you've gotten reflections and even relief mapping edited, you should be able to do sss as well.

5. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    @TGOT

Subsurface Scattering needs a material tweak. I am not competent in this. But Silver is.

I plan to modify too clothing and skin now that world textures and RFX preset are done. But only the vanilla SSS shall be used.

I think Relief Mapping use VRAM. With "E3 Lite V2" at max details, I am between 3.6 and 3.8 of VRAM use. When I add Anisotropic Filtering 16x, it stay the same.

And Thank you Silver. Indeed lighting is a lot better !

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    @ThatGuyOverTher: Sure it's not hard, the SSS is just another feature of the character shader, for example the material of Aiden's face has these parameters:

UseSkinSSS (6): true
    SSSColor (3): 0.947307, 0.799103, 0.768151
    SkinSSSStrength (1): 0.500000

I didn't had time to test but I've quickly edited the Strenght value to check its visual result, and maybe to know if there's room for improvement compared to the default settings. Here's a test archive with the value set to the min (0.1) and the max (2.0), along with the default (0.5), feel free to try it yourself and compare the differences ingame: WD_SSS_TEST.rar

@KuroTenshi: Congrats for managing to create RM compatible normals and for your textures pack in general! :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. TheCrasher

TheCrasher Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti 11g
    I think the SSS is working, if it is, then I can only notice it at the maximum settings (2.0) and is only lightly seen on the thinnest part of Aiden's ears. :3eyes:

8. infiniium

infiniium Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO R9 390 8GB
    What exactly are we expecting of SSS on character models? I'm not really familiar with it.

9. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    I've only answered TGOT question, I'm not really interested in the Skin Subsurface Scattering since I don't think it's something so noticeable that would benefit of our edits. For who wants to know what it does here's a comparison:

[​IMG]

10. txgt

txgt Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6G
    I personally thought that enabling SSSS would bring back that kind of lighting on his cheek:
    [​IMG]

11. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    No that's just the light from the phone (it's reflected from the coat too, look at the little blue dot in his shoulder), it's there in the vanilla game too, but in that screen his skin reflects it as if it's wet or something... Anyway the SSS isn't something that makes skin "reflective as if it's wet" or such, like your image suggests, it actually makes the skin look "softer", and it's effect is mostly what TheCrasher described, read this for example: http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/824...y-philippe-le-miere-character-face-human-skin

PS: Also there's a "face" texture that defines the intensity of the SSS in the face area and supposedly it's located in the alpha channel of the face specular texture, so this is one more factor to take into account for example...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. txgt

txgt Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6G
    I know this now. In the old build phone light had specular enabled. I don't know how to turn it on sadly.
    Also in vanilla Aiden's face can be far more reflective under some conditions. For example, during sunny morning/evening if you look at his face closely when he standing in the shadows. It can be modified in environmentlighting.lib.

13. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Ah yes I think I've noticed that, it was like its face was oiled and slightly glowing in the shadows, pretty creepy actually. :D

14. txgt

txgt Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6G
    I guess in this E3 2012 cutscene there's not only Skin SSS at work :look:

[​IMG]

15. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    In the E3 2012 build there were so many things at work that are completely missing from the released game, sometimes I feel like they've scrapped everything and just rebuilt the game for consoles hardware...

16. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    That's exactly what happened ! The game has been redone from scratch when they saw the "poor" results of the PS4. And they had contracts with Sony and Microsoft.

The current PC version is an improved port on the console version while at E3 2012 it was a pure PC version.

17. TheCrasher

TheCrasher Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti 11g
    You mean this?:

[​IMG]

18. txgt

txgt Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6G
    OMG what mod is that?

19. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Yep! :D

20. CraigOp

CraigOp Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Awesome man, it's beautiful. Thank you. Great job.