Volvo - free game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, May 28, 2009.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

Download it here

Developed by Simbin, there's an online competition for the fastest lap time where you can win stuff.

Just download the game and make your car selection among the historic beasts like the 240 Turbo Group A next to the very latest Volvo cars like the C30 and S60 Concept and test your driving skills on the two included real world circuits.

One person who definitely will play Volvo – The Game is Swedish racing star Robert Dahlgren. He has achieved immense success for Volvo in STCC – the Swedish Touring Car Championship – since 2004 and is currently competing in a Volvo C30.

Like many other professional race drivers, Robert Dahlgren uses virtual racing games to practice between real life races. “Playing racing games helps me train my ability to concentrate and to maintain my level of concentration over many laps,” says Robert Dahlgren.

Volvo – The Game features six different cars and the race is run on two authentically reproduced racing tracks. The six racing cars are the stars. The lead roles are played by the Volvo S60 Concept, the Volvo C30 that is currently competing in the STCC, the previous Volvo S60 that also competed in the STCC, the Volvo S40 that notched up many notable successes in the BTCC (the British Touring Car Championship), the Volvo 850– the estate car that became a legend in the BTCC – and finally a true racing classic from the past, a Volvo 240 Turbo Group A. The two tracks are the Gothenburg Eco Drive Arena in Göteborg, Sweden and Chayka outside Kiev in the Ukraine. Volvo – The Game is the only virtual racing game in the world to feature the Ukrainian racing track.

In order to recreate the older cars interiors as authentically as possible, SimBins art team visited the Volvo Museum to study the former racing legends. “In terms of audio quality we’re also remarkably close to reality. One example is the S40. For that car we pulled one of the race cars out of hibernation last autumn and gave it a thorough full-speed workout, recording the engine sound straight from the racing track,” explains Magnus Ling Executive Vice President at SimBin.

The two racing tracks have been reproduced with faithful detail and immense precision. It takes about 1000 hours to create a virtual racing track. Even the kerbs alongside the track have to be of exactly the right height. Many of the people playing the game are experts – and they are very particular about the tiniest details.

Robert Dahlgren is convinced that his own Volvo C30 will be the best car in the game. But he will of course be testing them all, and one of the contenders seems to be exerting a particular attraction.
    “How cool is it going to be to race the Volvo 240 on the Gothenburg track! When I was growing up, all my friends were driving 240’s. But not me. I was out competing. Now I finally get the chance,” says an eager Robert Dahlgren.

The goal from SimBin and Volvo is to reach out to a broader public than usual for simulation type games. This approach to the development means anyone can have fun with it and for more serious gamers and racers there is still plenty of challenge to be found in the game’s many advanced features,.

For the most authentic feel, Volvo – The Game should be played with a steering wheel and pedals connected to the computer. However, it is also possible to operate the car via the PC’s keyboard or with a game-pad. The game offers a choice of skill levels: ”novice” with all the driver assistance technology activated such as ABS brakes, ”semi-pro”, and finally ”pro” where there is no assistance whatsoever.

It is possible to select the Volvo of your choice, compete against your own best times and have the track all to yourself. Or you can compete against up to eleven computer-controlled competitors. There are several alternative settings for graphics and sound. For instance, the star, the Volvo S60 Concept, will be available in two versions – ”natural” and racing.

Get The Game™ today and start shaving off the tenths from your lap times to stay ahead.

2. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Banned

GPU:
    kk
    Volvo racing? LOL .. maybe they should make simulator, where they hit the wall.. I heard they trying be first in world by safety

3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    This sounds interesting. I'm thinking Gran Turismo, but only 2 tracks...

I'll give it a go.

4. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Nice find, if Simbin made it I'm there. Downloading now. It will give me a chance to further break in my new Momo.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Downloaded a couple of days ago, just haven't had the time to play it yet. It's from SimBin so it should be decent. And it's free so that's great too...

6. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I'll give this a go at the weekend, cheers :)

7. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Good find m8 will give it a bash :) .

8. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    double post soz

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  9. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Great, another Simbin game. Downloading it now.

10. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    ooh, a volvo 850 to race with. downloading now.

11. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    A little too realistic because I'm apparently losing a lot of time by using a keyboard. Too bad my Act Labs wheel doesn't work right in XP.

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I lol'd but yeh its not bad really.

13. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Since you had to go and mention the wagon in the game, I tried it. It's like trying to drive a milk truck in Hockenheim. lol

14. Marduk-

Marduk- Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT @ 680/1800
    This sounds just like the BMW M5 challenge that was around a while ago.

15. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Hmmm.. Time to setup my Logitech G25 I think ;)

EDIT - It's pretty tough, the top time is around 45 seconds on Gothenburg and so far I've managed 51 :/

10th place is about 48 seconds so I'm not a milion miles off the pace but god knows where they are cutting the time down :S

HyBrId

Last edited: May 30, 2009