Valheim - Viking survival/exploration game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Repo Man, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Started building my first bigger house today. Being the self-proclaimed professional builder I just kinda dove into it head first without checking any guides only to realise after 4 hours that you really need to use log beams as a frame for extra support and integrity or else your roof will just collapse...

10/10, would waste 4 hours again!

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I've been playing this for about a week. It's the perfect chill survival game. I was gaming heavily in the 90s, so the enhanced PS1 retro graphics, to me, are kind of a nice place to be.

For a good seed, I found this on reddit: 42069lolxd

[​IMG]

I liked it so much that I ended up moving my character and all my junk over to that seed. It has a trader to south of main spawn on next island. You don't need a boat to reach the island. I built just off the shown map to the southwest of that trader where 3 biomes (meadow, black forest, swamp) and the water intersect. There's also at least 5 dungeons on that same trader's island as well as tin/copper.

The seed I randomly generated and had been running all week was actually terrible. Not only was mine missing a lot, the topography was dramatically worse.

3. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    interesting. my friend told me about this one this morning at work. he says the game is a BLAST.
    will do some research myself on the weekend, seems like a solid purchase for playing with friends.

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Any of you guys have a server i can hop on to? I really don't like playing on my own, i had a refund request going but cancelled it.
    Hopefully someone here that has a server.

All the servers on the list in-game have all passwords.

EDIT: Hopefully they will optimize the game, it's most of the time using only 60% of my GPU.
    Upping graphics only surpasses it to like 76% with even lower FPS in the 40s.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I've been playing solo and killed the first boss and built a decent base, have a boat, all bronze gear (tier 3), bronze weapons and tools. Have gathered up loads of food and I've pretty much unlocked everything I can before killing the 2nd boss. Also found the Merchant and upgraded my weight limit and got the fishing rod and hundreds of fishing baits.

Problem is... the 2nd boss is on a large island that I can't get to on foot so the only way to get to him is on a boat but I'd have to sail for like an hour or two to get to him. Mental.

6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    It wont take an hour or two, But the spawn you have for the second boss is not the only spawn.

they can spawn on multiple islands etc.

7. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Loving the style and feel of it, especially the classic skill based progression. Works decent with a Series X controller when I get lazy too.

I am getting hitching and stutters that are almost positively due to the game being two weeks in early access (10900k/3080) but if anyone has any lesser known tips to alleviate I'm all ears. This ones good, and its gonna be really really great I think.

8. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What do you mean? Bosses are revealed by reading runestones in dungeons, once you discover the location, that's where you spawn the boss.

Anyway, I have started working towards this 2nd boss, ran through the black forest and made a raft to get me through the ocean onto the island where the Elder spawns, I'm going to go build a basic base now and kill him today. Great game.

Repo Man likes this.
  10. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Today's patch notes:

* Disable google analytics
    * Updated Unity engine
    * Forest crypt fixes
    * Credits updated
    * Save system returned to old-new
    * Pickables sync fix (stones,carrots etc)
    * Dedicated server CPU usage fix (Framerate limiter)
    * Hearth smoke building fix
    * Save system tweaks
    * Console "save" function can be used remotely if player is added to admin list
    * Autosave every 20min (instead of 30min)
    * Manual join IP function (dedicated servers only)
    * Extra tombstone checks ( to prevent them from disappearing )
    * Better broken world handling ( crash/exit instead of loading an empty world )
    * Localization fixes

11. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    They need to hire more people, not much fixed/added after a week.
    Unless that Unite engine update brings noticeable boost in performance.

12. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

No that just shows you one spawn ritual. You can find more out in the world

For us we have 3 for the first boss and 2 for the second.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Does the game have performance problems? Looks like the game could be run on a potato.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Maybe that's the case on multiplayer servers? Not sure.

Either way, just killed The Elder, off to the swamp now. Kinda yay.

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    It does, once you have build a small vikings village with all the torches attached it can dive down easily in 30-40fps all the time.

16. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Its just my world hosted, I had found 2 for the Deer boss before anyone joined, Don't get comfy in the swamp. It's more somewhere you raid rather than stay lol

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Question about the swamp, from what I gather, best way to find it it to take the boat out and skim the coast. Apparently it can never be on the starting island and very rarely on the islands surrounding the starting island.

I'll take the boat out in a bit and take it for a spin. Also, is there a safe place to build a house in the/near the swamp?

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Wow, OK.

19. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
  20. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Possibly a safe space, We find a very small outcrop of black forest near the coast and we biult a portal and a small cabin there.

Put it on stilts though or attach to a tree if you can, the swamp enemies will kick the crap out of your buildings and boats.