Underclocking??

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by trandoanhung199, Sep 3, 2009.

1. trandoanhung199

trandoanhung199 Member

GPU:
    Asus EN8500GT
    :stewpid: Didn't know where to put this. So, I looked into underclocking and found little to no info whatsoever. BTW, the questions below concerns GPU mostly, but CPU-related answers are welcome.
    Are there risks when you underclock? What's the lowest minimum frequency?

2. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Those are mine with my old X2 3800+

[​IMG]

and actual E8400.

[​IMG]

About GPU it's going itself nicely to 300/600/100 in idle.

No risks about underclock and for limits you should find them yourself by trial and error. :)
    prime95 is your best friend.

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Any time you can set C1E, *any* type of Tristating (because there are several different Tristate variables for different components), EIST for Intel or Cool n Quiet for AMD, you system will automagically UNDERclock your system for you - including speeds of components and UNDERvolting them as well.

But, you can do it all yourself manually...as mentioned - by testing yourself.

1) Drop your CPU Multiplier down to it's lowest level
    2) Begin dropping your VCORE (CPU Voltage) down 2 steps at a time, rebooting between each change until it won't pass POST, then up 1 until it boots all the way into Windows, followed by testing for stability)

That's the simple way - there's really a more prolific way of doing it by researching all your P-states and setting values determined by your results, but that's going far too deep for most normal users. Simply setting CnQ (Cool n Quiet) will do most of that for you.

I've found that my PhenomII 940BE will run stable at 800MHz at .072V...that's the best I can do with my hardware, but yours will be different.

By the way - please fill out your system specifications by going to the User CP button at the top of every page you see here at Guru3D, then Edit Your Details when that new window pops up. This way, we'll all know what hardware you have so we can better help you.

Good luck!

Psychlone

4. trandoanhung199

trandoanhung199 Member

GPU:
    Asus EN8500GT
    So from what I understand, there's really no risk underclocking?

5. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Assuming you understand the same fundamental principles that apply when overclocking, no.

Why are you looking to underclock your hardware?