Two of my cores gone missing

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by The Goose, Sep 8, 2011.

1. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi,a few months ago i upgraded my pc,curently im running an i7 960 on a P6t v2 Deluxe cooled by Corsair H70 with 12 gig of Corair Vengence 1600mhz ddr3,
    To cut a long story short i recently noticed whilst running Everest ultimate to check my cpu temp normaly i skip straight to sensor,i noticed i was only getting reading s on 2 cores but in cpu details i have 4 running,
    straight away i reset my pc and ran the bios to see if 2 cores had benn disabled but only 2 cores were available,i have latest bios and ive been runnig the same setup for the last few weeks appart from the addition of the h70 cpu cooler nothing has been changed,is it possible for 2 cores to just die

2. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Try defaulting the BIOS back to stock settings. See if the cores return. I know the CPU can run with cores not working/defective. Lets hope this is not the case.

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    a while ago there were a few threads on here about poor cpu to mobo pin contact leading to issues with core detection and ram detection. maybe check that none of your pins were damaged during the removal of your old cooler?

try running msconfig, go to the boot tab, advanced options, and make sure that all cores are still enabled here?

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Check device manager to see if it shows 8 threads for cpu

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea this

@The Goose
    I think it was Waway625 that had something like you..

edit: yes i found his thread, he had missing ram and re-seating cpu fixed it..
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338082
    Maybe its the same by you when you changed the cooler, could be just 1millimeter out of its place and its enough.

6. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I had the same problem not long ago with missing RAM, a re-seat fixed it.

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Thanks but now i am confused,Intel(R) Processor ID Utility says i have 4 cores,bios says i have 2 core,everest ultimate says i have 2 cores and device manager says i have 8 cores,Everest temp sensor says i have 2 core but the cpu info gives 4 cores and shows all 4 cores are working

i have taken 2 screen shots to show the problem

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/royacdavies/guru/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well windows is right, Its shows 4 cores and 4 threads. Everest could only be showing the 4 actual cores, while CPU-z could be bugged somehow.

CPU-z is old download latest http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and see if its there. Also if task manager shows 8 threads then there shouldnt be anything wrong.

If all else fails, reseat the cpu.

9. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Have you tried turning off all the power saving features? There is an option to set active processor cores, set it to all.

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    thanks agent ,just tried new cpu-z and the results the same and desktop manager used to show 4 cpu cores,
    viren if your refering to the options in the bios then it is set to "all",it only gives the option 1 ,2 or all,used to include all 4 cores.

Update

just disabled Virtualization in the bios,while booting a message came up saying 4 cpu core system but inside windows is the same as before

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

11. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    make a bench and compare it with similar CPU's. I would do that first.:3eyes:

12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Thanks for you input guys but ive found the problem,it was HT setting in bios...just disabled it and all four cores are working again as before...does seem a bit sluggish now though compared with it enabled mainly disk access.
    At least i know nothing is faulty

13. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    that's also not normal:3eyes:, try to reset bios and enable HT again. Benh the CPU with and w/o HT enabled to see. It looks to me that the CPU does not receive enough guice, either a bad contact or the CPU power line (8 pin line from your PSU) is faulty.

14. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Try updating the bios, that might help.

15. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    I think this was not mentioned. Go to msconfig, and under bootup , advanced, set the cores to 4.