Turntable advice

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by uncleknacker, Oct 5, 2013.

1. uncleknacker

uncleknacker Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070
    Hi,

I'm wanting to start out playing some vinyl that I've acquired over the last few years. I'm on a budget but looking at a couple of vintage Technics turntables on ebay UK. I've decided either on the SL-D2 which has some decent reviews online or the SL-J10R which physically looks better to me but there's no reviews online about it. (I'm looking to spend know more than £80 max for the turntable, although this does not include maybe getting a new cartridge etc)

I'm hoping that there are some Guru's here who know their stuff about this and can advise this newbie on which to get. I plan on hooking either to a phono pre-amplifier to my Onkyo HT R380 Receiver.

Thanks!!

2. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    vintage is the way to go, Id recommend getting something you can try and see if works before you by. I Have the SL-D2 and so far so good. You'll need a phono amp to plug it into any modern stereo or your computer (what I did). Love the player, I payed 110 and it was fully repaired etc... so keep that in mind while buying.

3. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    If you can grab a 1210MK2 or similar for cheap, it will last forever. Built like tanks.

4. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Agree/
    Got one.
    Why they discontinued them I'll never know.

5. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Another vote for a 1210 - a mate had one and was super happy with it. Have a look at charity shops / second hand places. People are getting rid of stuff like this all the time. Another friend got a Thorens TD-160 for 25 quid - got my Planar 3 for free - they are out there!

You could probably get a Planar 2 / RB250 for 80 quid if you hunt around - they're jolly nice :)

Edit: I run an AT-95 and am really happy for the money - recommended if you're on a budget.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  6. uncleknacker

uncleknacker Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070
    Thanks for all the replies :) I ended up getting the SL-D2 for £50 from ebay which should be here tomorrow. I'm just starting out so wanted to keep it small as on a tight budget. Got myself a cheap Behringer PP400 phono pre-amp and some cleaner for records I already have. Just hope the cartridge is in good nick! Seeing those re-issued master Beatles/Smiths records in HMV the other week gave me the fever!

7. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC