This...is....insane

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Classic Satch, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't really like soccer. To play though, fun to watch.

2. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Football-#1 in my book.Mostly college.My Buckeyes are a joy to watch, and I look forward to every Saturday.The competition is great, and the fellas act with some dignity.
    Football seems to lack class on the pro level, and is becoming more entertainment driven, than letting the competition be the entertainment in it's self.Long gone are the days of Montana's thrilling awesomeness, and now we have Terrel Owens.Woo-hoo.
    Last on the list would be basketball.Over paid gangsters, non stop scoring hardly seems like a challenge anymore.No ability to speak to the press,(I don't speak jive), and becoming increasingly fan UNfriendly.
    I hereby declare basketball a non sport.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What sucks is that's not what basketball is about, like you said about football. It's become more entertainment driven, which is what basketball has been for so damn long...=\

4. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Personally I like combat sports. MMA, boxing(can be boring, you have to know which fights will be good), K1 kick boxing. Basically the whole combat sport thing. I used to like watching basketball because I was an all city basketball player but have since lost all interest. Probably because of no future in it for me. I used to amateur box also but am still interested in it, might give it another go soon. Idk, just something about fighting grabs me. You rely on only yourself and to win you have to push you mental and physical being over the edge. Something primal about it. I love it.

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Soccer is boring as hell; go chase the spotted ball for hours and maybe get a point. No thanks, I'll stick to American Football.

6. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Not all sports are about instant action or gratification. American football (which I also like) seems to be more of a series of short schemas on the coach's board whereas soccer offers way more freedom to play. Plus more skill, since you don't handle the ball with your hands.

7. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i cannot watch sports it is boring
    playing them is a whole different story

basketball is good and my cousin is a college basketball coach for albany ny

they did better since he was coach and made it further then they ever have i beleive

even made televised games

while he was a player in hs and then some college he was great but then had an issue where he could not play anymore

so he did like his father did and became a coach

except his father was his hs coach and now my cousin is a big time college coach

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    It's not about instant gratification or action, it's about how boring soccer is. I like many sports that are far from instant gratification, main one being NASCAR. However saying soccer is more "skilled" because you don't use your hands is what I have been hearing since I was 5. I always come back with the same response; American Football would not be football if we didn't use our hands. How else do you think you can run a 250lb running back into a 2ft gap between 4 defenders and knock helmets off without holding the ball in your hands? Are we going to balance the football on our toes and hop on one foot as we get our clock cleaned? I think not. How are we going to run a wedge buster at kick return team if everyone is trying to bitch slide at each other? I like sports when it is a battle of who is the bigger man. People laugh at QB's in American Football when they bitch slide, however across the ocean that is the true test of a man, haha. Soccer was boring 15 years ago and it is still boring now. I'd rather watch golf.

9. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    There are other places in the world than the US, with a much larger population too...So Beckham got paid alot because people want to watch soccer.

10. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    LOL soccer is the greatest sport in the world, you think "FOOTBALL" is a sport, buncha idiots grabbing each other.......american football sucks, that is my opinion, i have been in sports my whole life and never got into football because its a stupid sport.....steroid users, end up to be murderers, drug users, rapists, football players are dirt, so is the sport...........this is my opinion you do not have to agree.

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    watching grass grow > soccer

12. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    I think dissing sports is kind of lame. I played a lot of cricket, rugby, and football (soccer) when I was younger and nowadays occasionally. Most people say to me cricket sucks. It probably does if you don't understand the sport, have never played it, or lack the intelligence to follow it. However if you have grown up watching it from a young age, played it with family/freinds.., then you can really get into it. Theirs no other sports I know where the umpires drink a pint during a sunday game and the wicket keeper usually has a cigg in his mouth. Totally great fun.

The same sort of mentality can apply to any sport. If you grew up with it, If you support a team, If you play it. Thats how you get into that given sport and its all on a personal basis. One person likes football (soccer), another person hates it. Thats just the way it in.

One thing that always suprises me about the states attitude to football (soccer) is it sucks.., when infact most of the world love it. I think the beauty of football (soccer) is absolutely anyone, anywhere, no matter how old you are can play it. It's totally acessible and all you essentially need is 1 ball. No other equpment. I think thats why a its so popular because of how accessible it is. I love football myself. Never watched baseball so couldnt comment.

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Soccer needs a ball and 2 goals. Football needs a football.

14. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    When I was a kid I played soccer, my kids play it, I think its a great sport but I only watch World Cup. Anyways getting back on topic, it's insane to pay ARod that much money and include team ownership as an option, they don't have a problem filling seats at Wrigley Field.

15. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    LoL

2nd.

16. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Yeah I guess football is too boring for the ADHD generation in the US.

What was the point of the thread again? People don't give out salaries to players without expecting a much bigger profit in return. Popularity might be dropping but dropping from what height? At the end of the day it is all capitalist business and we all know that doesn't fail. Stupid to pay players so much money? That money is a drop in the ocean that is lucrative commercial sport business.

17. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    And they only reason why ball players and their respective teams make so much money is simply because people are willing to pay for the tickets to attend the ball games. I don't think baseball is all that boring, though, at least compared to golf. Don't like the salaries that professional football players make? Watch college football.

18. dec1211

dec1211 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 320mb
    I agree!

At the moment I've got a black eye 'cos someone stood in my face in a ruck :p

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    so the more dangerous a sport is the better? If you've ever taken off full speed from the 45 on a sole path at a kick return wedge on the opposite 20 and hit 4 guys head on, you'd know why we wear helmets and shoulder pads.

I played American Football for 13 years and I came out with 2 concussions, 2 reconstructive shoulder surgeries and 5 broken bones. I was starting Outside Linebacker. I got Outstanding Defensive Player of The Year and I went All Conference; too bad my old HS conference didn't have an All Conference game.

God I miss playing Football :(

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  20. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Why does it always come down to football vs. American football with you people?

Why can't you just accept that some people like one, and some people like the other. You don't understand each others sports anyway.

If I can refrain from joining this petty squabble (I've played & watched football my whole life), the rest of you can too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.