The Ultimate UAC poll

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by SharpyMerc, Feb 24, 2007.

?

Vista UAC on or off

Poll closed Mar 28, 2007.
  1. on

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. off

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  1. SharpyMerc

SharpyMerc Master Guru

Simple question have you turned it off yet?

Yes

No

You can turn it off?

2. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    No, I don't mind it running.

3. Rzrwr

Rzrwr Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS radeon R9 290x
    yea i did it slow got annoying lol

4. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It has no use for me really other than an extra dialog box (or three) to click through. I disabled it on my machines along with hibernation and auto-backups as those were taking up around 15GB of space by the time I turned them off.

5. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Off, off, off!

For God's sake, OFF!

6. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I never had it installed in the first place...

...... vlite.net (he he...)

Mike.

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    UAC, Off ---- Check
    Security Center Alerts, Off ------ Check
    Any other alerts or annoying sounds, Off ------Check.
    Reboot into XP because Vista is driving me mad ------ Check.

8. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You have been watching to many mac commercials my friend :D

But i confess i don't use UAC, or the Security Center or balloon tips. Why is this not a actual poll ? They are much more fun.

9. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    The Mac commercial wouldn't have said "Reboot into XP". Just FYI.

Mike.

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    thats what malware coders want you all to do, someone will find an exploit for those who have it off and then you all feed the circle once again...good job!!
    besides i dont think shadow copies works with it off

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It's a Mac ad? Well there you go.

Still prefer my Macbook Pro over XP or Vista :) Can't wait till Leopard comes out, and I can rub that in even more :p

12. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i turned it off, yet again, i turned off all Vista.. :D

13. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    If UAC safes people from infecting themselves i will do a gig, i don't believe it for one second. UAC is all about trying to get people to run as normal users and not admins, this was a bitch before and many apps "needed" to run under the admin account. If malware needs to elevate it's privileges before it can do what it want, it should get a fair deal harder to infect. The problem is that some people don't know what the hell they are doing on the PC and they think reinstalling windows is the answer to all their problems.

14. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    LOL, where's the poll??? :D I tried Beta2 a while back... and I must say I turned UAC off the first time it asked me if I wanted to open a file... I went to the control panel, and kindly asked UAC to turn off. :p

If I ever move on to vi$ta, UAC'll always be off. FFS, I'm not a 5 year old toddler who isn't aware that "RoundAssAndBigBoobs.jpg.exe" is actually dangerous. Come on...

15. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Rub away, Finch! Nothing will dissuade me from loving my Vista.
    "There are no problems - only solutions"! :heh::ying:
    You know...I think I'm going to use that as my sig.:smoke:

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    reinstalling is the answer for many infections..just ask the pro's, even HP and Dell will reinstall it if you send it in with serious problems...well any problem actually.
    but vista's security was created by none other than the NSA, many dont know this but ms stated it recently

so instead hackers will eventually lead off to finding driver exploits, many of linux's exploits are done this way already, so soon you'll have nvidia/ati, creative, all having to do similar things giving users more things to complain about...i give it 2 years max before it becomes a publically known problem

17. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    It's funny your telling truths but you really seem have misunderstood them in part.
    No, the solution to cure infections is often to reinstall. This is NOT the solution to the actual problem namely people getting infected in the first place.
    No it was not, you read that somewhere with half a eye. They have helped MS just like they have before, and have for other OS's and software as well.
    The reason for looking for driver and kernel level bugs are obvious and nothing new at all. The lower the level the bugs exist the worse the result usually is. This is one of the reasons for moving some of the driver model in Vista up in user land, it's mainly for reliability but reliability ties heavenly into security at times.

You can't possibly believe that the script kiddys who makes some lame Javascript exploit will start "just" witting exploits for drivers and kernel level hacks. It takes way to much work, then you really need a good knowledge of dis/assembly, API's and all that good stuff.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  18. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Amen! MS seems to think we are all made of free HDD space these days. Not to mention free and available RAM space...

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

20. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Oh come on, i said,
    I think that was pretty clear.

As i said before UAC is all about getting the user to run as user and not admin. And yes i make the claim that prompting every day joe user about this and that he don't know anything about won't help. Many don't believe in the "prompt the use" approach (found in HIPS etc.). The same goes for AV's you don't know it's not a FP and you should research the file in question and so on. I not saying that prompting for credentials when you need elevated privileges is bad, that's well know from other OS's. Im just saying, asking "people who don't know what the hell they are doing on the PC and think reinstalling windows is the answer to all their problems" about something installing or etc. UAC scenarios, will (i fear) not help much. Or just end up braking legal operations because the user did not give the proper permissions.

From the washingtonpost article
    http://www.sei.cmu.edu/str/descriptions/trusted_body.html
    http://www.nitrd.gov/pubs/implementation/1997/103.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLASK

Not etymologically speaking, it's quite a bit older. But you might know this and were just referring to the present versions. The term rootkit comes from Unix and simply is the process of getting root and making sure you can get in again and don't get discovered. The wiki is more precise.
    What the exact definition of a rootkit is across both platforms and time, might be up for a discussion but basically it hides stuff (cloaking techniques). I think it's fair to say Sony had it's part in revealing the rootkit as a breed to the mass public.

Then about rootkits and driver bugs/exploits and why as you say, they are more popular today. I honestly still think that anyone who is making money on exploits would much rather be making easy drive-by infection scripts and other low-medium hard hacks, then having to look at drivers or write "good" rootkits (i.e. works and don't BSOD the system, hard to find and remove). Finding bugs to exploit in closed source drivers is not that easy, most drivers should normally be pretty well coded at least compared to your every day joe software. People are using tools/techniques such as fuzzers (you can fuzz just about anything).

Writing rootkits are not that easy either and many rootkits are "proof of concept", most seem pretty proud of their cleverness and are often happy to show source code. But just as with other malware, the working ones are used and re-used and re-re-used so you have some base rootkits and a bunch of "offsprings", i.e. they did not have to write them from scratch. Hell they don't have to write anything, just get the latest sample from your "local store" and use it with the exploits you bought as well. Im not saying that there aren't malware writers that can and are coding rootkit's that works well and are only sold on the "black market". What im saying is that some of the buzz around rootkits comes from the fact that it is not just some lame hack, and it takes/shows some real skill and deeper knowledge about low level stuff. Just as the code (i.e. the rootkit) is hidden, so are some of the knowledge behind the techniques. Making a really "nice" rootkit is a show of skill more then your everyday hack.

the Month of Kernel Bugs (MoKB) archive
    http://projects.info-pull.com/mokb/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_testing
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/blog/2005/12/fuzzers-ultimate-list.html

No you did not use that word but you said
    i.e. hackers will have to make exploits based on driver bugs.

Hackers are many and vary, but trust me, not all are skilled enough to start making driver exploits as use for a way in to the system. Lol besides it's not needed, i say again you won't believe how many dumb and yes i mean dumb PC users there are. Just look at the botnet numbers it's staggering and those are mainly home machines taken over by spammers and other bad guys.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007