the "i'm proud of this picture i took" thread

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Ice Cold, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    On the full version its looks different. You can actually see her eye.
    It loses a little on down sizing.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Okay, so over the past year I've grown as a photographer. But photo processing in the PC is a trade of it's own.

Back in 2002 I was in South Africa with a rather average very soft 5 MPixels Son DSC 707 camera, traveling around the country.

The photo's I took where reasonable at best. With some PP I tried to brush some of the photo's up a little and give them a more painting like feel. I'm quite pleased on how they turned out. This I will not be ashamed about to have on canvas.

[​IMG]
    This is South Africa's Gods Window. At reef here you can look roughly 200 KM into the horizon. The small paths you see are actually small roads from the Kruger national wild reserve park.

[​IMG]
    This is close to Mbabane the capital and largest city of Swaziland, a state within South Africa.

[​IMG]
    Christmas evening 2002 - Location: 2 KM above sea-level on the dragon mountains close to Durban South Africa.

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    ROFL

That's the best shot in the whole thread!!! :wanker:

Here's one of mine:
    [​IMG]

4. mft4

mft4 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660ti
    Great pics Hilbert,I especially like the third picture.

5. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Good pic mate. Needs cropping. Ive cropped it for ya :) Also the trees on the left are massivly under exposed. No detail. But apart from that i like

[​IMG]

6. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Hmm thanks, didnt think someone would be digging through some of the older pictures, been a month or 2 since i posted that one :)

Underexposing the trees was a concious choice, i went through several variations of the pic and this one was something that pleased my eyes the most but i could experiement a bit more ofcourse since i still have the original RAW file.

As for the cropping, yea i can see the benefits of your crop, gives it a pretty different feel but i dont mind the full size either, kinda torn between the 2 :p

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Africa is a great place for photography, but Hilbert, some of those images have a badly slanted horizon. Things like this should not happen...

Cybermancer's and Repo Man's photos are slanted too... Keep them straight guys, it's an easy adjustment in PS.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It's not like Maths, there's no rule that says all photos MUST have perfect horizons.

You have the rules of 3rds too, but you don't HAVE to follow it for every shot.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, if your horizon is not straight, it's pretty much considered a bad photo by landscape photographers. Full stop. Rule of thirds is a guideline to help photographers and it's often broken. You get your horizon slanted in a landscape photo and you get slated. Unless it's done on purpose, but that would be obvious.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Eclap,

This thread is about sharing photo's and not consistently criticizing each other. A comment or advise here and there is fine, yet you seem to do nothing else and ruining each photo post anyone is making that is not up to your standards by commenting it. This is about showing photo's that you like and made and share. It certainly is not about the perfect picture based on your semi-wisdom.

This thread was very popular until everybody started pass judgment on each other, that's gonna end today as this is getting silly. The thread is called "I'm proud of this picture I took", sharing photo's about a passion you have and not the technical and professional right photo's.

So again people, share the photo's that you like. They can be bad, they can be good, they can be professional and they can be super. Just as long as you have something special with it.

11. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Many months ago i expressed this too Hilbert, and suggested that if people wanted comments and criticism, they should state 'C&C welcome', the same with advice.

You too have criticised peoples photos (including mine on THIS page), when it wasnt particularly wanted, and i am also guilty of doing the same.

Quite a few people on this board are accomplished photographers and not 'point and press' people, so will know if a photo has red eye, or not using the rule of thirds, or has a sloping horizon, so the chances are the photo was taken that way by them for a reason.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh, you are absolutely right. It is the result of what somehow started many months ago, and lately everybody is jumping in with comments (absolutely, me too, though I do comment positive as well).

See, a comment here and there is normal, human behavior. But lately it seems and feel like people do not post their photo's anymore because the only thing they receive is criticism, as it's not up to his/her professional standard. That's just way off base and certainly not what this thread should be about. If you post a photo here, you should not be annoyed by it due to some comments, yet feel proud you made and shared that photo.

Since we all share the same passion of that great hobby of ours, photography, let's just all think about the issue I raised here for a second and get the thread going the way it was originally okay ?

Photography rocks, that should be our focus :)

13. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I love battlestar galactica and that photo is great, shame shes a robot. :)

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Right that's fine guys. I thought we were welcome to comment on these photos. But if not then that's fine. I've had my photos commented on as well and I didn't see anything wrong with that. I don't comment on every photo Hilbert, not even 1/3 of them. I only comment on a few, mainly on landscapes, because that's my field. I by no means want to upset anyone and if you want to keep this thread clean of criticism/comments, that's fine with me.

15. 3o5

3o5 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+ XXX Ed. x2
    Few shots while driving around with a friend, all in car shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a few for now ill post more later

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Hilbert: yeah... gotta say i think i like the third one the most. Just not sure if i like it because of how the colors kinda blend.... or that it's the Dragon Mountains.

yeah.... the colors... let's go with that. lol

17. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    [​IMG]

There's a lot of snow falling in England at the moment, here's my dog playing in the snow.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  18. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    These were taken when i went to visit a friend here in the US.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2nd one i couldnt make it focus for some reason due to the wind..... :(

19. 3o5

3o5 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+ XXX Ed. x2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]