The Expanse

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Laughing Ma, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I liked the part in S1E1 when they panned the new York skyline and showed Liberty Island underwater with the Statue of Liberty surrounded by a sea wall, probably due to the effects of global warming.[​IMG]

XenthorX and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Season 4 now available. Get your snacks and beers and plump up them sofa cushions!

3. YES! - alright; time to go make a fast food run then disappear into the man-cave for hours...

XenthorX likes this.
  4. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Just watched the first 2 episodes of S4 and... OMFG!

This show is way ahead of the curve and I absolutely adore every frame of it!

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    First ep was real good, looking forward to the rest

And now I don't need to wait a week for the next one

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So Marco Innarus is mentioned in the second episode, that's quite a good deal earlier than I was expecting

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    So i basicly liked the last 3 episodes. the ones prior to those, felt rather boring story wise, but also location wise. imho they should have put more efford in the landscaping. oh and the earth boss lady swears 10x as much now lol

8. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    The only problem I had with this season is that almost all of the actors' zero-g walking styles were completely devoid of realism, and instead it just looks like they're walking around in gravity, in spite of the magnetic shoe clicking sound effects, which is funny because early in the episodes someone comments on that very subject. I think they did a much better job in the previous seasons.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  9. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    The UN Secretary swearing was one of the things I noticed as well lol.

Brasky likes this.
  10. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Good show, binge watched it. Overall very happy with it. Now I have to wait another year...

11. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup knew the shift to Prime would finally allow the real Chrisjen Avasarala to be released and Wes Chatham has been nailing the Amos Burton roll. Also loving how they are starting Bobby Drapers arc an awful lot sooner than in the books by doing stuff that she didn't actually do in the books.

You'd love the book then as the entire thing takes place with in the confines of Illus not too sure about the landscaping comment then. The planet is supposed to have been purpose built by the guys who built the ring gates, what is shown in the show kind of marries up with what is described in the books. A pretty flat, planet with little distinct natural geographical features with very sparse flora and fauna that has either adapted or more likely been created to work within the confines of the planets design.

I am only 6 episodes in so not sure just how much detail in to Illus history the show goes (I imagine some more info will be given in the later episodes, assuming the story arc follows that of the books)

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    They really stepped it up with this season, new cast member are incredible, everyone grew a beard that's awesome.
    UN secretary is badass as usual, her relation with her husband is really interesting ! <.<

There's some unforseen consequences of S3 that totally makes sense and are interesting to see play out.

13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I'm holding out on the books because if I read the lot then I don't have any expanse books to read!... Yes that makes sense in my head!

14. hahaha stole the words out of my mind ... but yeah I had moments where even I was watching the show thinking "gee miss mind bringing it down a notch"

15. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    The start of season 4 felt like the start of season 1 to me in that time was spent setting the stage for the events that would follow.
    Avasarala swearing seemed a lot more gratuitous. In past seasons the swearing felt more natural to me while it stands out more this season.

16. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I think she may have been swearing more due not only to the stress of the political situation, but also that her position was becoming tenuous with a new rival challenging her leadership.

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Reading it is different from hearing it all out loud that's for sure...

18. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Great show continues to be great! My only nitpick for this season was that it felt a bit like an "inbetween season", thats the best way I can describe it at the moment. Gonna stew on it for a while and probably revisit the thread with some more in-depth thoughts about the season.

19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It is, the books treat it as a transitional story before kicking off the next big thing. It doesn't even lay that much ground work for later stuff other than introducing us to 'the thing that killed the proto-molecule makers' and one other major character who appears much later. Other than that the book is set entirely in, on or around Illus / New Terra, the show took snippets and bits and pieces from the next book Nemesis Games and the short novella Gods of Risk and expanded Bobby Drapers roll by quite a margin.

Icanium likes this.
  20. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I really like the woman (Frankie Adams) who plays Bobbie Draper. She's believable as a tough woman, not like some dainty model in all the superhero films and tv shows that we're supposed to pretend can throw a 200 pound man across a room. I'm all for women feeling empowered, but unless they have a weapon, most women aren't to be taken seriously as a physical threat. The woman who plays Bobbie, however, I would totally think twice about messing with IRL. And she's still attractive and feminine and all that.

I'm a little sad that I binged the whole season and now I have to wait another year or maybe more for the next one. They should just trickle them out week over week like in the olden times.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Icanium likes this.