Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    By the time this game is done, the credits at the end would start off with "In loving memory of..." followed by all the people working on this project smh lol

Real talk, I am still hoping they finally get their project management together, and get this out sooner rather than later. Not donating anything until then.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    no reason to at all. and yes at this point it is donation more than anything. if you believe in the project fine of not do not.

the pudding will be when they ship out the first chapter of squadron 42 it will be chris roberts first game since what freelancer? and he left that game early i think i heard, and that beta just slipped to q3 2020, tight for a holiday 2020 release, but if they want a prime release window that xmas window is a prime target to shoot for, especially since they do sales events at that time anyway and have dropped big releases (disastrously, but 3.0 was a key release and i played the hell out of it) in that xmas window before they bailed out on holiday break.

if its too broken then for sure q1 is likely, so end of 2020 beginning of 2021 they will have an actual game for you to play. And odds are buying into the single player campaign nets you access to the pu also, i would have to think. especially if they going to sell it at a retail 60 usd which is more expensive than buying a starter ship and a legacy alpha/s42 back in 2016 ish era.

shoja likes this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Jesus F. Christ in orbit, is this still not out?

Most of the backers will also be dead probably :p

emperorsfist, shoja and cerebus23 like this.
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I thought i would be dead before tool would put out their album 15 years? but hey they released that finally.

gee long timelines bother me soooo much.

shoja likes this.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I can just see this launching in 2022 after a decade in development, being bugged to high heaven because of the scale of it. XD

6. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Hella hate in this thread, i for one am happy with the current progress to time ratio.
    Albeit some decisions did delay production, it expanded to a project with an unlimited scope.

Space Sex!

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    There is automatic hate any time a thread relating to it appears, I just figure the people making these comments don't actually know what is going on with the two games.

8. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    SC will be ready soon :)

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Hmm great excuse for never finishing the project, it has unlimited scope ergo we can never finish it, almost as bad as a project with no scope.

So does that make them overqualified for a position at CIG management then?

Lol I am messing, sort of, but SC is such an easy target.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    the scope is limited,. there have been no added goals or features added.

any tech and development is to make the goals that people backed work, like object container streaming and object culling and network stuff in general have been a MAJOR hurtle that gave them problems. streaming has been pushed back in the schedule multiple times and it is required to get the full capitol sized carrier multicrew ships in game and the "coursant" planet requires the tech also to work at all.

less you all can cite these endless added goals and feature of the project that i as a backer were not aware of?

there things to dog CIG for like scuzzy refund fery and, some of their marketing stuff is sleezy. but do we really need to invent stuff?

11. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    we don't need to invent stuff because every time they show off new stuff it includes a bunch of bullshit that no one will ever care about that only introduces new possibilities for bugs which are literally shown off as they announce them.

I'm thinking of the citizencon where they showed off how when you get a drink at the bar, the ice cubes will have simulated physics so they float in the glass and look really weird and bad, and 10 seconds later some action happens and the ship tilts and everything starts sliding but the fluid they're showing off in the glass behaves wrong and it's all completely unnecessary. They could've just had a static drink and not spent weeks on it and it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

And in that same event they had the crazy webcam facial capture where your character's face is supposed to match your facial expressions, except it was hilariously bad and a terrible idea to begin with.

They spend so much time on ridiculous stuff like that, they aren't making a video game they're working on nifty tech demos. They should just be working for Crytek on new Cryengine features/tech.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

You're inventing nonsense.

Apart from ships (which are a no brainer) there is no feature creep going on and both games are meeting their important milestones.

HandR and cerebus23 like this.
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    why might liquid and temperature physics matter in a a game where you will fly in space and explore planets with oceans and ice and differrent biomes? might even see icebergs which float on water on some of these planets.

maybe the drink and ice was a way to demonstrate that is stuff they working on even now.

Humanoid_1 likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Binnnnnngo!

this game is eventually aiming to do teraforming for crps sake.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    My PS6 will be ready :)

cerebus23 likes this.

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    You guys are so optimistic lol, I certainly hope you're right and it all turns out great and comes out before 2030

17. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    It may one day come to what is considered a finished state, new content is always needed.
    Would like to see them implement other playable races.

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea but that is more the MMO side post release stuff, like rtx support and the like, but not til the core game is done with the features backers backed for. there has been nothing added at all that was not pledged for, and new ships and ship classes flesh out the universe and and fund the game to some extent. 600 dollar mine layers are not meant for your average backer nm the noobie. if they really wanted to milk that they would put out cheaper mid tier 100 to 250 dollar ships, those sell like hot cakes.

after the mmo is out of beta and has a good number of worlds for release, then they can start to think about adding features, they will still have a ton of planets and systems to add presumably after the MMO release even. but at the point i guess they could lay out future plans.

And they still have 2 more chapters of s42 to put out presuming the first chapter does not crash and burn. maybe they get chapter 2 out by the time the pu is nearing the full live release 2 3 years down the line but not episode 3 and how they going to fund that coast on the pu monitization? justify selling more concept ships? remains to be seen.

far as i can recall basic stuff they had talked about for the PU was seeding new belts wrecks and running events in game, evolving universe, typical mmo stuff. and they had planed to fund it via selling in games credits, characters slots, and cosmetics i think they floated maybe like unique ship skins like voyager direct was selling.

mod support and private servers will be huge also for your licensed mods, like star wars, babylon 5, star trek, if they give people the tools they got to make content for the release version of the game? that might be the only thing some are interested in when some of those mods get rolling. and i believe these were stretch goals because people wanted this.

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No feature creep.... really?

They started out making what is now labelled Squadron 42 and ended up having to make a whole additional game to accommodate the feature creep.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    We were getting 2 full games well before the kickstarter ended, it wasn't until later that the packages had their prices cut and users could buy the package they explicitly wanted

Us early backers got both games for the one 45 price, each market valued at $60 each. now users can buy either SQ42 or SC.

Stop regurgitating crap you read on Derek smarts twitter.

I like how people ignore that his happened
    https://massivelyop.com/2018/07/05/...glassdoor-review-made-by-troll-on-his-behalf/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.