SSD Makers start warning that Mining Products Like Chia Coin Will Void Warranty

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Limited use policy is all around, and I've never seen it challenged. Although I'm not a lawyer, so naturally I don't actually follow such news. The most common example is perhaps when you buy any electric device/appliance. They very often say it's only meant to be used for domestic (at home) or equivalent purposes, not professional (industrial, commercial, etc). It's also not uncommon at all to find clauses stating that if abnormal use or poor maintenance is noticed upon item return, the warranty will be void and a service fee will be charged. I recently bought a new coffee maker. It had all of these clauses in the instructions leaflet. I don't think I'd win any court cases if I tried to challenge those specific points if I had clearly broken them.

Of couse I'm not saying an SSD manufacturer could forbid something after a person had already bought the thing.

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Pretty sure you can't change the terms and conditions of the product after it's sold to the customer. Lawyers will be rubbing hands in glee, it's like car manufacturer suddenly saying we won't warranty your car for it's 100,000 miles, because you took it off roading for few thousand miles, won't stand up against legal challenges.

Valken likes this.
  3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    that's fine if the tbw reach the warranty limit then yes they did not even need to state that . What worries me is that they made that announcement in case someone say spend the 300 out of 600 tbw in a month and the drives break to use it to not honor the warranty .

4. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    This amount of stupid in this thread is staggering. You do realize almost all consumer level hard drive and ssd come with SMART that shows how much data is written to it right? Also warranty has terms for limited about of terabytes written. If you are mining on consumer hard drive and writing tens or hundreds of terabytes of data a day, your warranty will be gone in under a month.

It's just like buying a regular 4 passenger car from a dealer brand new and immediately racing it on an oval track at 100% throttle 24/7. It's going to break well before any sort of guarantee with mileage or time in mind, and your dealer WILL void their warranty because you abused the car well beyond a typical use case.

I would argue that video cards also need SMART to show how long they are running in compute mode at 100% load. Undervolting and underclocking isn't an excuse that makes it fine. Same goes for CPU's that need some sort of e-fuse to blow once you overclock it or enable XMP so customers can't lie and say "I ran it stock all the time".

Keitosha, kakiharaFRS and Raserian like this.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    BTW. Eth mining hammers ssd? I can't detect anything during mining :p

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it isn't.

but they do set a GB or TBW/d rating that they can fall back on to presume mining related usage.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This is all very confusing.
    Are you a car dealer, a support guy or a lawyer working pro bono?

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I'd love smart data on graphic cards. As soon as I sell my 5700 it will be all the easier.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Chia is going to do to storage prices, availability what other cryptos did to GPUs.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Only if there's another horde of suckers who are willing to pay top dollar for nonsense data filling the Chia miners' HDDs and SSDs.

Silva likes this.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You...benchmark pron?

Care to mention what your setup consists of? ;)

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Keitosha and Kaarme like this.
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Silva and Keitosha like this.
  14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Government will need to do something about it if things don't change. A big part of our life is based on computer. It's not only to play games. It's used to develop many crucial products in banking, transport, medical, .... If it becomes impossible to buy new computers because of cryptocurrency long term it will be a big problem for sure.

Silva likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You... understand what "would be" means? :D

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I may be mistaken... but i'm pretty sure i fairly recently read about a manufacturer doing EXACTLY that (not off roading for a few thousand miles, but doing some serious off-roading that borked the transmission) and they refused to repair it under warranty due to misuse. Believe it may have even been Jeep. Just because a car is made with off-roading in mind, doesn't necessarily mean they have any obligation to repair drivetrain damage caused by doing so.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's mechanical damage manufacturer has no control over. SSD writes and reads. Every read operation is same as any other read operation. Same applies for writes.
    There are no surprises.

Example you made is similar to RC car vs RC airplane. Where SSD is airplane's motor and ESC. Where warranty would be for number of motor spins (hours of operation). But not for mechanical damage. And additional warranty is for craftsmanship faults only. (Like some weld failing.)
    Where RC car is equivalent of Jeep's vehicle. And while it may be built to have some off-road fun. Owner should expect damage and be willing to buy parts he damaged. And so warranty is limited to craftsmanship faults.
    Because damage that comes to RC cars is equivalent to airplane crashing as force which caused damage was big enough to ignore suspension. Or was from direction in which vehicle has no impact dampening protection.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Someone needs to inform GALAX that they can't change the warranty terms after the product is sold.... Contract lawyers may have a field day with this one....

Actually, if you read the fine print in your vehicle warranty book, you'll find out that taking most vehicles off-road, does in fact void the warranty on certain components.

Actually he is correct. Unless the country the vehicle is purchased in has laws to the contrary, if you purchase a vehicle and take it racing, it will in fact void your warranty if damage occurs.

(I'm a former Ford Master Tech, and I've been involved in decisions to void vehicle warranties due to excessive abuse... in fact, that was actually my last act as a Ford technician....lol)

Last edited: May 5, 2021