Southern Islands Taped Out

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Rich_Guy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  2. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    awesome, wonder how the 6800 series will be using the SI die

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    charlie charlie charlie..... problem with him, the info on start are credible, yes SI is taped out, yes this confirm the rumour about AMD launch the next series in 40nm ( stated by AMD himself), cause there's no 0.32 by TSMC and GF is not fully ready with his 28m process ( it will be a high jump from 40 to 28 in gpu architecture ) ... but badly he attack a bit too much Nvidia on the end of the article, like allways...

Anyway, one shot in black: HD 6000 or refresh of the 5870? with this mixed part between both new and actual architecture ( who was normally the HD6xxx architecture) for my part i can't really do a big statement about it.

If i was AMD i will release this new series under 5890, 5880 names, it's a step before the next architecture,they could release them around september, counter the Nvidia GTX4xx lines (for be nice) with them, and then release the HD6000 with the complete new architecture, with GDDR5+, 28nm, more tesselation power ( just for laugh at heaven bench) etc etc around march, at their place i will just keep this card in my pocket and take time to work on it, and see what nvidia can do with his architecture in next revision....

ATI is in trouble with the decision of TSMC, cause their architecture was thinked for 32nm... the only solution they have for release their new line, is what charlie explain: mix the actual 40nm with new architecture parts..
    It's maybe a good thing, they can release a half new architecture, and then take some time for increase the quality of the completely new one. Keep a good advance on Nvidia timing, and keep an eye on them..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  4. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Maybe some good names for a refresh of the HD5k series would be HD5590, HD5690, HD5790, HD5890 and HD5990? :]

Anyway, wonder what will come of the refresh. :p

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    HD6xxx is something way newer than HD5xxx,90% different architecture

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Production starts Q3.