Serious Sam 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Jul 15, 2020.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Then I couldn't change other settings.

Besides I think I'm done with the game for a while.

I was fully expecting to replay the game at least once but now that I got to the final level, huge Serious Sam fatigue kicked in.

Seen this clusterfrack before, you know. Meaning the insanity of the last level.

The second to last level was imo completely unnecessary filler and the level itself the most uninteresting one.
    Skip that completely and direct to last level would be better.

The campaign isn't exactly short any way so for me this was the wore out the welcome moment.

2. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Yeah it seems to be the case, so essentially it's highly unlikely there will be any significant changes due to how the engine is designed. You just NEED to have either a lot of cores or a limited amount running at quite high clocks. If you have just few cores with like sub 4.5GHz speeds the game just chokes on some threads and it bottlenecks entire thing without clear indication unless you look at individual core load.

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    According to developers, this is by design:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/257420/discussions/2/2966141980970305019/?ctp=2#c2966141980975547708

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    According to another developer post, usage of logical cores can be forced by setting
    Code:
    thr_iMaxWorkerThreads

To total amount of cores (logical + physical), so setting it to 8 for my 4770k (default of 0 autoconfigures to 4 threads) actually does help by 10-20 FPS in purely CPU bound situations.

It's not an overall gain all across the board but hell, i'll take it. Seems to have no downsides, CPU still isn't maxed out but GPU usage is a bit higher.
    I imagine anything beyond that is either getting better CPU/platform or waiting for some miraculous optimizations from the developers.

AsiJu likes this.
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hey nice find, I'll try that too.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    @skacikpl Still using that CPU command line? Ran into any issues...

I'm thinking about trying it out, see if it can smooth out the few spots I've had FPS dips.

6. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    None that i would notice outside the game being same level of wonky with or without it, you get an odd stutter here or there but that just happens on my end regardless of that specific command.

The command by itself seems to work just fine, it doesn't make any significant difference in terms of CPU usage, the system isn't starved for resources either.
    In my case it can give 10-20 fps boost in scenarios which are purely CPU bound, so usually urban areas.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Do you have to set it each time you start the game or does it stick when set once?

Can it also be given as a command line parameter or added to some .cfg file, any idea?

8. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    It's stored to config by default, even clean game has this in cfg file, it's just set to 0 by default which is the "autodetect" value, if you set it manually in console it gets saved to that value and unless your config gets entirely reset, it sticks.

Only few commands seem to not "stick" in config file, even if you add them manually.
    Only one i noticed that has to be added as CLI parameter is men_iMaxAllowedFPS because for some reason default max fps in menus is 66, which i assume is okay for people with 60Hz panels but if you want more then you cannot just override once and be done as the setting doesn't stick. So the game needs to be launched with +men_iMaxAllowedFPS X to set the value to one you want on each boot.

Everything else seemed to stick so far.

AsiJu likes this.
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Okay how the hell are you supposed to use the grappling hook?

You can't select it as a weapon or a gadget. I assigned a key to Grappling Hook - which is unassigned by default btw which is great - but it does nothing.
    I watched a video and the guy in the video just grapples without selecting anything so I guess the assigned key SHOULD work?

Also FWIW I tried that maxworkerthreads set to 16 but can't really tell a difference at least in the final level.
    Monitoring does confirm though that logical cores are used more. I think.

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I found the last boss fight to be a clunky affair, so I defeated him by using a trainer which gives rapid fire and endless ammo. He dies in a few seconds, yes, he can actually be killed by just shooting him.

(1.04 performance is better, but I still have occasional hickups in the system)

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You used a trainer (cheat) out of frustration?

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    There are tons of games which have pointless and badly designed bullet sponges for bosses. I skip them, one example is Far Cry Primal

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Had no issues with the grappling hook.
    Worked without problem, and always locked on where I aimed.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    And you just tap the key assigned to it?

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yes. Worked fine for me.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, when you aim at an area you can grapple to... just pressed the button and it automatically latched on and pulled me to it.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks. For whatever reason doesn't work for me.

Idk if the latest patch broke it or what's wrong, did you guys try it after 1.04?

Also what key have you bound to Grappling Hook? I'll try using key bind someone else knows works.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I was getting ready to say, I played the end on 1.03, haven't reached the end boss since the newest update.
    Don't remember what key I have it mapped to...

But, putting it out there, I used an odd control setup. EDSF for movement, A for jump, Z for crouch... Spacebar for use/interact.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Try any other key to see if its just a problem with that key (or certain keys).
    You will have the answer you need in a much shorter time.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I've tried several keys and mouse buttons, none work.