Seagate demos HDD that can do 480 MB/s With MACH.2 Multi-Actuator technology

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    hopefully those more heads doesnt mean lower reliability
    afaik in hdd hardware failure, one most often issue is "clicking issue" which is usually head-failure

3. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    The time for one last big jump in HDD technology is now!

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    keeping that spinning rust alive

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    intresting hdd catching up to SSD speed, it did mention something about this reduce reliability and is more error prone, which I sure people around here bring that "seagate" sucks for reliability, which has not really stopped since FW debacle over 10 years ago.

All my seagate drive are still running just fine, that is over 2 dozen of them, Normal wear and tear inlcuded, I even drop 5+ of there hdd over 7 feet by mistake when get them and they still work fine I had one out right fail and that was 5400 momentus.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    For me, its always seagate that fails. Have a 2TB taking a piss right now in my server. Only 1 Samsung ever failed.
    WD have been on point for me.

Also these still will suck on random reads and 4k.
    I would never use this for an OS drive.
    These though would be rather nice for game drives or server drives.
    Be good for a plex server and doing my game backups.

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Meh, only thing i use HDD's for now is storage... and honestly, the only important thing for storage is reliability, i wouldn't sacrifice that for a speed bump.

Agonist likes this.
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I’ve had good luck with WD and okay luck with Seagate. But this is really cool honestly. If the price is right it would be a great game drive.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I still prefer my SSD. Honestly, $125 for a 512GB isnt bad for 550+mb read and writes.
    Though I do get games are getting stupid huge. But games that dont need fast load times I have on mechanical drives and load times still are not bad.

10. OddGentleman

OddGentleman Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X 3G
    for home PC, sure. but the price of several terabytes of storage in SSD would be unreasonable.

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Let's see what this new feature will give us in the long term ...
    Because on one side I think putting something like "permanent RAID" in a device you cannot open to exchange failed parts is BAD. From what I read this should be comparable to RAID0 (there is no mention of additional fail-over-protection or else what could be RAID1/4/5/6/else), which adds to the sentence before: It is BAD in a closed case.

But on the other side you have a lot of PROs against SSD storage. The "cells" do not depend on current, you may leave a HDD some years without current and they still have their data. That is not always the case with SSDs. Probably not a problem for most of you guys, but for everyone who does backups on a regular basis and stores these backups some meters from the machine the drives were running in (example: a safe). So with this drive you get fast backups (even faster than 15k drives!) and the drives should be more silent than 15k drives. All GOOD stuff.

This drive, together with about 40TB disk space and an additional cache of say 512GB DRAM cache (or 1 TB?) ... imagine the speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!!!! :)

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Most standard drives people buy are only light duty. You can see this in the specifications, they are rated at 2400 hours a year. Surveillance drives I think are brilliant for backup, they are designed to be used 24/7 with constant writes. They only run at 5900 rpm for efficiency and reliability. You can also go Enterprise drives but they cost more.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It wouldn't be much different for games as games generally load assets in small files.

This technology will still suck in small read/write ops compared to SSD, not to mention access time is slow

Venix likes this.
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super

I agree ssd's improuved loading times is due to how much faster they are on average seek time comparing to an hdd

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    100% agreed.

One of these drives would be awesome for a game stream drive and movie drive in my server.